MLB8 perfect game...or not

  • mike_d_sim
    Message 1 of 5 , 19 Sep
      So the Braves opened week 3 with a big series against the defending NL East champion Marlins and got an amazing game from Randall Delgado who threw a perfect game in a 6-0 Braves win. My question though is should this have been a no-hitter rather than a perfect game. The reason? Jacoby Ellsbury reached base in the 5th inning on an error by 2b Peraza. He was then retired on a double play. Delgado went on to no hit the rest of the way.

      So no-hitter or perfect game? (It was reported as "perfect").

      Sadly after this high came a sustained low of 3 wins and Delgado got shelled in his next start!

      Cheers
      --Mike

    • k157tdf
      Message 2 of 5 , 20 Sep
        I think it has to be a no-hitter. Any batter reaching base spoils a perfect game.

        I observe that a no-hitter doesn't have to be a complete game by a single pitcher - it can be a combination of pitchers. Does GB acknowledge such things ?

        In fact doesn't the same apply to a perfect game - i.e. it doesn't rely on a starting pitcher retiring all 27 ?

        Marc

      • craigj1971@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , 21 Sep
          http://www.dictionary.com/browse/perfect-game http://www.dictionary.com/browse/perfect-game says:

          perfect game

          a baseball game in which the same player pitches throughout the fullgame without allowing any player of the opposing team to reach firstbase by a base hit, base on balls, error, or any other means.

        • mike_d_sim
          Message 4 of 5 , 22 Sep
            Thanks both. I thought that was the case - so the performance was mis-reported then! On the plus side, we needed the win.
            --M

          • k157tdf
            Message 5 of 5 , 25 Sep
              I think the perfect-game has been defined to parallel a no-hitter. i.e. it doesn't only relate to a single pitcher.

              As much is implied by this Wiki paragraph - "Although it is possible for multiple pitchers to combine for a perfect game, to date, every major league perfect game has been thrown by a single pitcher."

              That is interesting because it seems to imply that a pitcher on course for a perfect game is not often withdrawn to have the game closed out by a different pitcher.

              Note that a pitcher could pitch 9 perfect innings but if the game went into extra innings and a runner reached base then the perfect designation would be lost.

              Marc