Babe Ruth?

  • danny_slavin_uk
    Message 1 of 6 , 2 Oct
      Has anyone named any players after historical players? Is it not a done thing? [Ignoring Cosmo Lightgear type situations*]

      Also, having reviewed the footage and watched various interviews the Babe Ruth called shot is a myth, right?

      Dan

      * I might have got the name wrong.

    • k157tdf
      Message 2 of 6 , 3 Oct
        >Has anyone named any players after historical players? Is it not a done thing? I see nothing wrong with it. I also sometimes make up names, or choose non-baseball names.
        But as for historical players :-
        In MLB4 Rangers I have a 3B Len Randle (perhaps I wanted a 2B in that pick ?), a LF Heine Manush and my young catcher is called Ivan Rodriguez.
        I also have Tony Lazzeri in my MLB2 Yankees where I wanted to stop choosing the same names for my MLB1 and MLB2 Yankees.
        Perhaps I should choose more obvious ones - Rodriguez aside.
        Marc

      • craigj1971@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , 3 Oct
          Aha! I know where this is coming from Danny - I recall your Gameplan Football NFLCA Raiders having names like Plunkett, Otto, Hendricks etc.

          I don't mind historical names. I do get annoyed though by duplicated names as it screws up my number crunching! Also computer generated hispanic names seem to use a small subset of names resulting in limited variety. Not every hispanic player is called Fernando, and the Alou family always seems well represented. Moises didn't half get around!

        • danny_slavin_uk
          Message 4 of 6 , 4 Oct
            Naming one of my draftees Babe Ruth might be a bit too much pressure, though, right?
          • k157tdf
            Message 5 of 6 , 4 Oct
              Danny wrote
              >Naming one of my draftees Babe Ruth might be a bit too much pressure, though, right?
              Pressure on the player or pressure on you to deliver ;-)
              It's all good fun comparing with the real players. I've got a young Aaron Judge in my MLB2 Yankees.
              Regards, M

            • danny_slavin_uk
              Message 6 of 6 , 7 Oct
                'Pressure on the player or pressure on you to deliver ;-) '

                Pressure on me! Imagine being the coach who couldn't get a good game out of Babe Ruth!