Re: Bloody kettle, starting to hate it!

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      I don't know where you are in the country but if you can find a
      member of "the federation of engine re-maufaturers" (web-site will
      help)near-by it might be worth taking the barrels and head to them to
      get them checked. I have used their members workshops in Sussex and
      Northampton, both very good. They can check the mating surfaces for
      any warping/dents/damage, my experiance is they'll do it while you
      wait and give advice on what to do next. ..Extra effort to lift the
      barrels I know but you will then be confident with the fix. As said
      above...I've been there too, stuck barrels, broken rings, unknown
      bore damage ...naughty words spoken in the garage with thoughts of
      scrapping it!!!! I took it to their local workshop, now I know its
      good and I've done 4 BlueHaze trips on it, with confidence. You'll be
      there soon.

      --- In gt750uk@..., "daveandtruded" <mrdrdupont@...>
      wrote:

      > New genuine gaskets arrived today so fitted, torqued down. Bleed
      oil
      > pump to get rid of bubbles, fired her up. No water gushing out this
      > time but loads of steam from right pot then centre pot. Looks like
      > gasket is blowing into pots.
      >
      > I can't think of anything other than warped head. Any suggestions?
      >
      > Just at the point now that I want to torch the damn thing!
      >
      > I do have another head but only one more head gasket. Will get a
      > cheque in the post for a copper one tonight (payday tomorrow).
      >
      > If I change the head and it's still blowing that's two genuine
      gaskets
      > and £38 down and my spare head gasket!
      >
      > Really p*ssed off.

    • daveandtruded
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        Thanks Ray, think I may be there but need to get home when it's light
        and warm? to take it up the road.

        --- In gt750uk@..., "Ray" <picketts@...> wrote:

        > I don't know where you are in the country but if you can find a
        > member of "the federation of engine re-maufaturers" (web-site will
        > help)near-by it might be worth taking the barrels and head to them to
        > get them checked. I have used their members workshops in Sussex and
        > Northampton, both very good. They can check the mating surfaces for
        > any warping/dents/damage, my experiance is they'll do it while you
        > wait and give advice on what to do next. ..Extra effort to lift the
        > barrels I know but you will then be confident with the fix. As said
        > above...I've been there too, stuck barrels, broken rings, unknown
        > bore damage ...naughty words spoken in the garage with thoughts of
        > scrapping it!!!! I took it to their local workshop, now I know its
        > good and I've done 4 BlueHaze trips on it, with confidence. You'll be
        > there soon.
        >

        > --- In gt750uk@..., "daveandtruded" <mrdrdupont@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > New genuine gaskets arrived today so fitted, torqued down. Bleed
        > oil
        > > pump to get rid of bubbles, fired her up. No water gushing out this
        > > time but loads of steam from right pot then centre pot. Looks like
        > > gasket is blowing into pots.
        > >
        > > I can't think of anything other than warped head. Any suggestions?
        > >
        > > Just at the point now that I want to torch the damn thing!
        > >
        > > I do have another head but only one more head gasket. Will get a
        > > cheque in the post for a copper one tonight (payday tomorrow).
        > >
        > > If I change the head and it's still blowing that's two genuine
        > gaskets
        > > and £38 down and my spare head gasket!
        > >
        > > Really p*ssed off.

      • Ace Venturi
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
          Hi Dave,
          " No water gushing out this time but loads of steam from right pot
          then centre pot". Are you sure this isn't just water from the
          first "blow" hanging around in the exhausts?. Or in the cases? Is
          it running evenly?. If it is running OK, I would give it a decent
          run and warm it up fully, then see what happens. If the head was
          leaking, I would expect to see combustion products and pressure
          getting into the cooling system before seeing water getting into the
          cylinders.
          Just a thought, let us know how you get on.
          Cheers pal, Tim
          wrote:

          > Thanks Ray, think I may be there but need to get home when it's
          light
          > and warm? to take it up the road.
          >
          > --- In gt750uk@..., "Ray" <picketts@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I don't know where you are in the country but if you can find a
          > > member of "the federation of engine re-maufaturers" (web-site
          will
          > > help)near-by it might be worth taking the barrels and head to
          them to
          > > get them checked. I have used their members workshops in Sussex
          and
          > > Northampton, both very good. They can check the mating surfaces
          for
          > > any warping/dents/damage, my experiance is they'll do it while
          you
          > > wait and give advice on what to do next. ..Extra effort to lift
          the
          > > barrels I know but you will then be confident with the fix. As
          said
          > > above...I've been there too, stuck barrels, broken rings,
          unknown
          > > bore damage ...naughty words spoken in the garage with thoughts
          of
          > > scrapping it!!!! I took it to their local workshop, now I know
          its
          > > good and I've done 4 BlueHaze trips on it, with confidence.
          You'll be
          > > there soon.
          > >

          > > --- In gt750uk@..., "daveandtruded" <mrdrdupont@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > New genuine gaskets arrived today so fitted, torqued down.
          Bleed
          > > oil
          > > > pump to get rid of bubbles, fired her up. No water gushing
          out this
          > > > time but loads of steam from right pot then centre pot. Looks
          like
          > > > gasket is blowing into pots.
          > > >
          > > > I can't think of anything other than warped head. Any
          suggestions?

          > > > Just at the point now that I want to torch the damn thing!
          > > >
          > > > I do have another head but only one more head gasket. Will
          get a
          > > > cheque in the post for a copper one tonight (payday tomorrow).
          > > >
          > > > If I change the head and it's still blowing that's two genuine
          > > gaskets
          > > > and £38 down and my spare head gasket!
          > > >
          > > > Really p*ssed off.

        • daveandtruded
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2008
            Cheers Tim, think it maybe ok, hopefully tomorrow will be dry and not
            too bloody cold and I'll take it around the block.