Re: Still getting them carbs right

  • Ace Venturi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      Sure Marc - won't be for a few weeks yet, but I'll have a go at
      refurb'ing them for you. email me off-line, cheers

      --- In gt750uk@..., "Marc Farmer" <cramremraf@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Tim that sounds like the kits i bought, the needles are wrong
      too
      > as you said so i'm still using the original needles and choke
      tubes.

      > As the old beast runs good i'm leaving well alone and get good
      MPG,
      > i do have the original later set of carbs that came with the bike
      > that have a few stripped threads on the float bowl and i had to
      > drill out a pilot jet that had been rounded of seems to have come
      > out with no damage, i would like them given the ACE treatment if
      > they are rebuilable when you are not too busy.
      > Farmer Marc
      >

      > --- In gt750uk@..., "Ace Venturi" <tim4lymm@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Farmer Marc,
      > > Sounds like you had some of the earlier stock of the Keyster
      kits -

      > > they weren't brilliant (to say the least) - starter valve
      plungers
      > > that didn't fit and needed dressing, incorrect size needle
      valves,
      > > needle valves with a 3/8" head instead of 10mm.... All I can
      say
      > is
      > > that the current kits being supplied are much better quality,
      the
      > > only small gripe is that the float bowl gasket needs a small
      trim
      > > where it butts up to the float valve housing.
      > > NOS needle valves are arounbd £27 + VAT each, needles about £8,
      > > float bowl gaskets around £4.50, so the keysters are good value
      > and
      > > can be made to work.
      > > Cheers Pal, Tim
      > > --- In gt750uk@..., "Marc Farmer" <cramremraf@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just picked up on this as been away again in the Caravan/Pikey
      > > > mobile :) and i had no end of trouble after fitting keyster
      > needle
      > > > valves, i ended up putting the originals back in and the bike
      > ran
      > > > great but not to be beaten much experimenting later with my M
      > > model
      > > > which has L carbs 27mm was the best float setting for my
      Kettle
      > > and
      > > > the choke tubes (i think that's what they are called did not
      fit)
      > > and
      > > > are still in the packets.
      > > >
      > > > I bought original mains and pilots, not sure how much nos
      needle
      > > > valves are but i bet you will still have to experiment.
      > > >
      > > > Marc
      > > >

      > > > --- In gt750uk@..., "Ace Venturi" <tim4lymm@>

      > types
      > quite
      > > > alot,
      > > > extent if
      > > valves
      > > > seem
      > > > Mikuni
      > > > upside
      > > body
      > > > don't
      > > load,
      > plug
      > > > and
      > > > Haven't

      > > > float
      > > best

    • KEITH RUDD
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        ....and another carbie query .... I got some proper new needle jet "O" rings and fitted em on the jets. The old worn ones allowed the jet to push into it's housing until the brass rested on the aluminium ... in other words the rubber "O" rings actually pushed into the tube. The new ones however don't seem to want to fit into the tube ....are they supposed to ...and if so will an application of petrol lubricate them enough to ease them in ??????

        Keek

        --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "Marc Farmer" <cramremraf@ ...>

        href="mailto:gt750uk%40yahoogroups.co.uk" target=_blank rel=nofollow>gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "Ace Venturi" <tim4lymm@> wrote:

        > > Hi Farmer Marc,
        > > Sounds like you had some of the earlier stock of the Keyster
        kits -

        > > they weren't brilliant (to say the least) - starter valve
        plungers
        > > that didn't fit and needed dressing, incorrect size needle
        valves,
        > > needle valves with a 3/8" head instead of 10mm.... All I can
        say
        > is
        > > that the current kits being supplied are much better quality,
        the
        > > only small gripe is that the float bowl gasket needs a small
        trim
        > > where it butts up to the float valve housing.
        > > NOS needle valves are arounbd £27 + VAT each, needles about £8,
        > > float bowl gaskets around £4.50, so the keysters are good value
        > and
        > > can be made to work.

        Cheers Pal, Tim
        > > --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "Marc Farmer" <cramremraf@ >
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Just picked up on this as been away again in the Caravan/Pikey
        > > > mobile :) and i had no end of trouble after fitting keyster
        > needle
        > > > valves, i ended up putting the originals back in and the bike
        > ran
        > > > great but not to be beaten much experimenting later with my M
        > > model
        > > > which has L carbs 27mm was the best float setting for my
        Kettle
        > > and
        > > > the choke tubes (i think that's what they are called did not
        fit)
        > > and
        > > > are still in the packets.
        > > >
        > > > I bought original mains and pilots, not sure how much nos
        needle
        > > > valves are but i bet
        you will still have to experiment.

        > > > Marc
        > > >

        > > > --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "Ace Venturi" <tim4lymm@>

        > types
        > quite
        > > > alot,
        > > > extent if
        > > valves
        > > > seem
        > > > Mikuni
        > > > upside
        > > body
        > > > don't
        > > load,
        > plug
        > > > and
        > > > Haven't
        this myself yet, but may have a go sometime.

        > > > float
        > > best

      • Ace Venturi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
          Hi Keeky - they are a tight fit .
          Just smear a little oil onto the seal and a drop in the socket (not
          too much), then as you tighten the float bowl down (evenly) it will
          push it into place properly. Cheers.