petrol in gearbox

  • iphilip1961@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
      hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
      anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
      cheers from phil
    • Garry Brown
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
        Hi Phil
        had the same problem,
        sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
        Garry

        To: gt750uk@...
        From: iphilip1961@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
        Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox

        hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
        anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
        cheers from phil

        Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!
      • iphilip1961@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
          oh poo,
          where is the best place for a crank rebuild then?
          and is there any one in cheshire/ chester area can help get engine out or help with advice please
          cheers from phil
          --- In gt750uk@..., Garry Brown <sambogunners@...> wrote:

          > Hi Phil
          >
          > had the same problem,
          >
          > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
          >
          > Garry
          >

          > To: gt750uk@...
          > From: iphilip1961@...
          > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
          > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
          >

          > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
          > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
          > cheers from phil

          > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!

        • Garry Brown
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
            had mine done by Chris Applebee in Essex
            www.applebee.co.uk
            but i'm sure someone here can put you in touch with somebody more local to yourself,
            good luck

            To: gt750uk@...
            From: iphilip1961@...
            Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:09:35 +0000
            Subject: [gt750uk] Re: petrol in gearbox

            --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Garry Brown <sambogunners@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi Phil
            >
            > had the same problem,
            >
            > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
            >
            > Garry
            >

            > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
            > From: iphilip1961@ ...
            > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
            > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
            >

            > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
            > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
            > cheers from phil

            > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!
            > http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 137984870/ direct/01/

            Surfing the web just got more rewarding. Download the New Internet Explorer 8
          • PETER HAM
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
              phil, ive just had mine rebuilt by chris applebee...they do a club discount, and a rebuild is £285.00...+vat to the club......return postage comes in at £30.00.....
              u can also have the crank balanced, which is recomended, as the engine will spin more freely, with less vibration....and the engine is alot smoother.......
              i had mine REBUILT and BALANCED...and with postage and vat, it came in at £455.00....
              u fone them 1st, and give them ure address, they then send a courier to ure house to pick up the crank....(box and address it to them obviously and drop a note inside withure name and address and most impotantly, what u want them to do to the crank)....
              hammy2....

              where is the best place for a crank rebuild then?
              and is there any one in cheshire/ chester area can help get engine out or help with advice please
              cheers from phil

              --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Garry Brown <sambogunners@ ...> wrote:

              > Hi Phil
              >
              > had the same problem,
              >
              > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
              >
              > Garry
              >

              > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
              > From: iphilip1961@ ...
              > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
              > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
              >

              > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
              > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
              > cheers from phil

              > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!
              > http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 137984870/ direct/01/

            • mark reeves
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                Im sure Mr Nightingale ( Kettle Club Member) is in that neck of the woods !!!
                where is the best place for a crank rebuild then?
                and is there any one in cheshire/ chester area can help get engine out or help with advice please
                cheers from phil
                --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Garry Brown <sambogunners@ ...> wrote:

                > Hi Phil
                >
                > had the same problem,
                >
                > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
                >
                > Garry
                >

                > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                > From: iphilip1961@ ...
                > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
                > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
                >

                > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
                > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
                > cheers from phil

                > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!
                > http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 137984870/ direct/01/

              • Mick Hopson
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                  grampian motors in liverpool they will do it while you wait sometimes, if they are not too busy!
                  where is the best place for a crank rebuild then?
                  and is there any one in cheshire/ chester area can help get engine out or help with advice please
                  cheers from phil
                  --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Garry Brown <sambogunners@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi Phil
                  >
                  > had the same problem,
                  >
                  > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
                  >
                  > Garry
                  >

                  > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                  > From: iphilip1961@ ...
                  > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
                  > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
                  >

                  > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
                  > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
                  > cheers from phil

                  > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!
                  > http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 137984870/ direct/01/

                • Bryn Johnson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                    Yo Mick,
                                  still not got to grips with that cap you sent me ...tooooo busy at the mo, are you in a hurry
                    for its return..??
                    cheers  Bryn

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                      Watch ya Cock , how's it hanging !!!

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                        no take your time bryn no hurry, cheers mick

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                          Hurry - hurry ----------- lol the only hurry Mick is ever in - is when he touches cloth and needs the toilet !!! LOLL
                          no take your time bryn no hurry, cheers mick
                                        still not got to grips with that cap you sent me ...tooooo busy at the mo, are you in a hurry
                          for its return..??
                          cheers  Bryn

                          grampian motors in liverpool they will do it while you wait sometimes, if they are not too busy!
                          where is the best place for a crank rebuild then?
                          and is there any one in cheshire/ chester area can help get engine out or help with advice please
                          cheers from phil
                          --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Garry Brown <sambogunners@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi Phil
                          >
                          > had the same problem,
                          >
                          > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
                          >
                          > Garry
                          >

                          > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                          > From: iphilip1961@ ...
                          > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
                          > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
                          >

                          > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
                          > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
                          > cheers from phil

                          > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!
                          > http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 137984870/ direct/01/

                        • Gary Cobb
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                            Before you go through that lot Phil, i know its going to sound daft but check the fuel tap isnt on prime.
                            Weekend before last a local member phoned me and said his B wouldnt start but she ran the previous week. After telling me the symptoms i said take the sris valves and main drain plug out, flush gearbox and valves through, replace sris valves/drain plug and refill with fresh oil after leaving overnight. James did this and rang me to say she was running great again!
                            If taps in correct position then im afraid it probably is the crank, like Mick said, Grampian are very good as are John Nightingale and Chris Appleby its your choice mate

                            To: gt750uk@...

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                              -thanks for the advice, i think i will have a go at those valve things and clean them out,
                              but would those being blocked or dirty cause my problem?
                              the other thing is the bike starts first push of the starter, runs fine if a little smokey, have done a couple of hundred miles with no probs,
                              then i spotted the oil all over the right hand side of the rear of the engine,
                              could going for a ride with the petrol tap in yhe prime position cause my prob?
                              cause i may have done that but am unsure,
                              cheers from phil
                              feeling dejected and upset bloody bikes!
                              -- In gt750uk@..., Gary Cobb <cobb.trans@...> wrote:

                              > Before you go through that lot Phil, i know its going to sound daft but check the fuel tap isnt on prime.
                              >
                              > Weekend before last a local member phoned me and said his B wouldnt start but she ran the previous week. After telling me the symptoms i said take the sris valves and main drain plug out, flush gearbox and valves through, replace sris valves/drain plug and refill with fresh oil after leaving overnight. James did this and rang me to say she was running great again!
                              >
                              > If taps in correct position then im afraid it probably is the crank, like Mick said, Grampian are very good as are John Nightingale and Chris Appleby its your choice mate
                              >

                              > To: gt750uk@...
                              > From: sambogunners@...
                              > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:57:35 +0000
                              > Subject: RE: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
                              >

                              > Hi Phil
                              > had the same problem,
                              > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
                              > Garry
                              >

                              > To: gt750uk@...
                              > From: iphilip1961@...
                              > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
                              > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
                              >

                              > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
                              > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
                              > cheers from phil
                              >

                              > Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!

                              > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!

                            • Marc Farmer
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                                Sorry if this has already been mentioned as I have not read all the thread yet.
                                If there is oil all over the right hand side of the engine is this coming from the small hole in the oil pump cover, as there is a breather behind there for the gearbox and if there is oil being blown out of that this usually indicates crank seals.

                                I'm pretty sure this is right but someone techy will confirm for you

                                Marc

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                                  Phil, It could be the seals! If so, the fastest way is to look at the oil pump hole like our Marc said, i thought you just had fuel in the gearbox oil, didnt realise it was leaking out the offside. The other thing is you may have just overfilled her a bit, was it rebuilt totally? Blocked sris valves wouldnt cause it as some of the boys have done away with the scavenging system altogether, ask Kev Brookes. Still worth taking them out and draining the engine just to satisfy your own mind, well thats what id do LOL

                                  To: gt750uk@...
                                  From: cramremraf@...
                                  Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:53:49 +0000

                                  --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "iphilip1961@ ..." <iphilip1961@ ...> wrote:

                                  > -thanks for the advice, i think i will have a go at those valve things and clean them out,
                                  > but would those being blocked or dirty cause my problem?
                                  > the other thing is the bike starts first push of the starter, runs fine if a little smokey, have done a couple of hundred miles with no probs,
                                  > then i spotted the oil all over the right hand side of the rear of the engine,
                                  > could going for a ride with the petrol tap in yhe prime position cause my prob?
                                  > cause i may have done that but am unsure,
                                  > cheers from phil
                                  > feeling dejected and upset bloody bikes!
                                  > -- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Gary Cobb <cobb.trans@ > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Before you go through that lot Phil, i know its going to sound daft but check the fuel tap isnt on prime.
                                  > >
                                  > > Weekend before last a local member phoned me and said his B wouldnt start but she ran the previous week. After telling me the symptoms i said take the sris valves and main drain plug out, flush gearbox and valves through, replace sris valves/drain plug and refill with fresh oil after leaving overnight. James did this and rang me to say she was running great again!
                                  > >
                                  > > If taps in correct position then im afraid it probably is the crank, like Mick said, Grampian are very good as are John Nightingale and Chris Appleby its your choice mate
                                  > >

                                  > > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                                  > > From: sambogunners@
                                  > > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:57:35 +0000
                                  > > Subject: RE: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
                                  > >

                                  > > Hi Phil
                                  > > had the same problem,
                                  > > sorry to be the bearer of bad (and expenensive) news but my crank seals were gone
                                  > > Garry
                                  > >

                                  > > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                                  > > From: iphilip1961@
                                  > > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:30:05 +0000
                                  > > Subject: [gt750uk] petrol in gearbox
                                  > >

                                  > > hi chaps i have had a swine of a job getting back on here bleeding computers.
                                  > > anyway i have just found after rebuilding the bike, all apart from engine i might add, that i am getting fuel in thr geabox, am i correct in thinking the only cause of this will be that the crankseals have gone?
                                  > > cheers from phil
                                  > >

                                  > > Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!

                                  > > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!
                                  > > http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 137984870/ direct/01/

                                  Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!
                                • daveandtruded
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                                    Anyone else do crank re-builds?

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                                      ive just had mine done by applebee's dave, £455.00...rebuilt, balanced, and postage....

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                                        Yo Markie boy....same as usual pal, not enough hours in the day and when there is  you run outa money  LOL...

                                        cheers  Bryn

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                                          LLOLL email me private mate

                                          Mark