crank seals

  • Mark Daniels
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
      Guys. got an opportunity to get a J model. checked it out and its not
      too bad, needs cleaning etc. hasnt been on the road for about 3 years
      and hasnt been started very often. So, my concern would be the crank
      seals having dried out. What are the classic syptoms of this? also, on
      a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is it to change them. Cheers
      Mark
    • Pete Griggs
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        Mark,

        I recently had mine done. It cost £180.

        The classic symtom is white smoke which doesn't go away because it is
        pulling in the gearbox oil.

        --- In gt750uk@..., "Mark Daniels" <mark.daniels@...>
        wrote:

        > Guys. got an opportunity to get a J model. checked it out and its
        not
        > too bad, needs cleaning etc. hasnt been on the road for about 3 years
        > and hasnt been started very often. So, my concern would be the crank
        > seals having dried out. What are the classic syptoms of this? also,
        on
        > a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is it to change them. Cheers
        > Mark

      • Mark Daniels
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
          Thanks Pete. When we started it up, the smoke was very thick and
          didnt seem to dissapate once it warmed up. If i rode it to the blue
          haze next year we would need to rename it the blue smog! Who
          carried out the work on yours? Did you strip the engine prior, or
          did they do that?
          Thanks
          Mark
          --- In gt750uk@..., "Pete Griggs" <petegriggs78@...>
          wrote:

          > Mark,
          >
          > I recently had mine done. It cost £180.
          >
          > The classic symtom is white smoke which doesn't go away because it
          is
          > pulling in the gearbox oil.
          >
          > --- In gt750uk@..., "Mark Daniels" <mark.daniels@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Guys. got an opportunity to get a J model. checked it out and
          its
          > not
          > > too bad, needs cleaning etc. hasnt been on the road for about 3
          years
          > > and hasnt been started very often. So, my concern would be the
          crank
          > > seals having dried out. What are the classic syptoms of this?
          also,
          > on
          > > a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is it to change them. Cheers
          > > Mark

        • Pete Griggs
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
            Mark,

            Service Exchange Parts did mine. They charged £185.65 including pick
            up and delivery.

            You will have to strip the engine for that cost, though they do offer
            an engine rebuild service.

            Their phone number is 01509 673295
            www.sep.kegworth.co.uk

            wrote:

            > Thanks Pete. When we started it up, the smoke was very thick and
            > didnt seem to dissapate once it warmed up. If i rode it to the blue
            > haze next year we would need to rename it the blue smog! Who
            > carried out the work on yours? Did you strip the engine prior, or
            > did they do that?
            > Thanks
            > Mark
            > --- In gt750uk@..., "Pete Griggs" <petegriggs78@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Mark,
            > >
            > > I recently had mine done. It cost £180.
            > >
            > > The classic symtom is white smoke which doesn't go away because
            it
            > is
            > > pulling in the gearbox oil.
            > >
            > > --- In gt750uk@..., "Mark Daniels" <mark.daniels@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Guys. got an opportunity to get a J model. checked it out and
            > its
            > > not
            > > > too bad, needs cleaning etc. hasnt been on the road for about 3
            > years
            > > > and hasnt been started very often. So, my concern would be the
            > crank
            > > > seals having dried out. What are the classic syptoms of this?
            > also,
            > > on
            > > > a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is it to change them. Cheers
            > > > Mark

          • Mark Marlow
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
              Did £185.65 include the seals? Or just the labour?

              wrote:

              > Thanks Pete. When we started it up, the smoke was very thick and
              > didnt seem to dissapate once it warmed up. If i rode it to the blue
              > haze next year we would need to rename it the blue smog! Who
              > carried out the work on yours? Did you strip the engine prior, or
              > did they do that?
              > Thanks
              > Mark
              > --- In gt750uk@..., "Pete Griggs" <petegriggs78@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Mark,
              > >
              > > I recently had mine done. It cost £180.
              > >
              > > The classic symtom is white smoke which doesn't go away because
              it
              > is
              > > pulling in the gearbox oil.
              > >
              > > --- In gt750uk@..., "Mark Daniels" <mark.daniels@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Guys. got an opportunity to get a J model. checked it out and
              > its
              > > not
              > > > too bad, needs cleaning etc. hasnt been on the road for about 3
              > years
              > > > and hasnt been started very often. So, my concern would be the
              > crank
              > > > seals having dried out. What are the classic syptoms of this?
              > also,
              > > on
              > > > a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is it to change them. Cheers
              > > > Mark

            • Pete Griggs
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
                Mark,

                The price I quoted included stripping the crank, replacing all the
                seals, which there are 3 off if I remember and rebuilding and
                rebalancing. When I timed it up (thanks to Farmer Marc lending me his
                gear) the crank was set up very accurately.

                You have to build in the cost of replacing the engine gasket set. I
                got a full set from the USA for £45.

                As you can see, its not a cheap job. I don't know your mechanical
                prowess but if you are near to me I would do the strip and rebuild
                for you, no charge of course.

                40yahoogroups.co.uk>gt750uk@...,