Re: 750k carb problems. same as j model.

  • tim19580815
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2010
      Hi Frank,

      On the hunting around 3000 rpm it sounds like it probably running rich mid-range.

      Needles should be set at position #3 (middle groove).

      Could also be that the needles/needle jets are worn.

      On hunting, pilot screws should be 1.5 turns out.

      Turn them in +/- 1/4 turn to get smoothest running (by ear) and then adjust tickover down to ~1000 rpm and re-adjust. If t/o is too high, this is the classic cause of hunting on the over-run.

      Have you balanced the slides?.

      Cheers, "Ace"

      --- In gt750uk@..., "frank410" <frank410@...> wrote:

      > Morning all, i;m haveing problems with my bike over running , not shutting off when i close the twist grip.
      > i;ve checked the cables , slides, put new jets in, new air filter, i;ve sprayed the rubbers to see if they are leaking, but they seem fine.i.ve put newtronic electronic ignition on and new coils.bike starts well.but hunts at around 3000rpm.above thet runs sweet.
      > any ideas? cheers Frank.

    • Gary Cobb
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2010
        Thanks Tim, that worked brilliant on Robin`s L model mate. Thats a beer i owe you at Derby

        To: gt750uk@...
        From: tim4lymm@...
        Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 10:05:15 +0000
        Subject: [gt750uk] Re: 750k carb problems. same as j model.

        --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "frank410" <frank410@.. .> wrote:

        > Morning all, i;m haveing problems with my bike over running , not shutting off when i close the twist grip.
        > i;ve checked the cables , slides, put new jets in, new air filter, i;ve sprayed the rubbers to see if they are leaking, but they seem fine.i.ve put newtronic electronic ignition on and new coils.bike starts well.but hunts at around 3000rpm.above thet runs sweet.
        > any ideas? cheers Frank.

      • mike yeadon
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2010
          S'cuse me folks, been watching as I rebuild my A carbs...

          Ace / Tim - you say jet needles on 3rd position, would that be right for the later (A) model as well? Mine are still off the bike and I'd rather get it right now. I was lead to think 4th position, but great to be put right!

          Cheers all,
          Mike

          Thanks Tim, that worked brilliant on Robin`s L model mate. Thats a beer i owe you at Derby

          To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
          From: tim4lymm@btinternet .com
          Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 10:05:15 +0000

          Hi Frank,

          On the hunting around 3000 rpm it sounds like it probably running rich mid-range.

          Needles should be set at position #3 (middle groove).

          Could also be that the needles/needle jets are worn.

          On hunting, pilot screws should be 1.5 turns out.

          Turn them in +/- 1/4 turn to get smoothest running (by ear) and then adjust tickover down to ~1000 rpm and re-adjust. If t/o is too high, this is the classic cause of hunting on the over-run.

          Have you balanced the slides?.

          Cheers, "Ace"

          --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "frank410" <frank410@.. .> wrote:

          > Morning all, i;m haveing problems with my bike over running , not shutting off when i close the twist grip.
          > i;ve checked the cables , slides, put new jets in, new air filter, i;ve sprayed the rubbers to see if they are leaking, but they seem fine.i.ve put newtronic electronic ignition on and new coils.bike starts well.but hunts at around 3000rpm.above thet runs sweet.
          > any ideas? cheers Frank.

        • Gary Cobb
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2010
            Hi Mike, 3rd position was the standar setting from Suzuki on the M,A,B models. As for the L Tim will have to tell you.
            Gary

            To: gt750uk@...

            To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
            From: tim4lymm@btinternet .com
            Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 10:05:15 +0000

            Hi Frank,

            On the hunting around 3000 rpm it sounds like it probably running rich mid-range.

            Needles should be set at position #3 (middle groove).

            Could also be that the needles/needle jets are worn.

            On hunting, pilot screws should be 1.5 turns out.

            Turn them in +/- 1/4 turn to get smoothest running (by ear) and then adjust tickover down to ~1000 rpm and re-adjust. If t/o is too high, this is the classic cause of hunting on the over-run.

            Have you balanced the slides?.

            Cheers, "Ace"

            --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "frank410" <frank410@.. .> wrote:

            > Morning all, i;m haveing problems with my bike over running , not shutting off when i close the twist grip.
            > i;ve checked the cables , slides, put new jets in, new air filter, i;ve sprayed the rubbers to see if they are leaking, but they seem fine.i.ve put newtronic electronic ignition on and new coils.bike starts well.but hunts at around 3000rpm.above thet runs sweet.
            > any ideas? cheers Frank.

          • mark read
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2010
              On j/k models left and right run at p4 only centre runs on p3. had the same problem on mine, turn the pilot air screws down to 1 and 1/4 , this will cure the problem.

              On the hunting around 3000 rpm it sounds like it probably running rich mid-range.

              Needles should be set at position #3 (middle groove).

              Could also be that the needles/needle jets are worn.

              On hunting, pilot screws should be 1.5 turns out.

              Turn them in +/- 1/4 turn to get smoothest running (by ear) and then adjust tickover down to ~1000 rpm and re-adjust. If t/o is too high, this is the classic cause of hunting on the over-run.

              Have you balanced the slides?.

              Cheers, "Ace"

              --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "frank410" <frank410@.. .> wrote:

              > Morning all, i;m haveing problems with my bike over running , not shutting off when i close the twist grip.
              > i;ve checked the cables , slides, put new jets in, new air filter, i;ve sprayed the rubbers to see if they are leaking, but they seem fine.i.ve put newtronic electronic ignition on and new coils.bike starts well.but hunts at around 3000rpm.above thet runs sweet.
              > any ideas? cheers Frank.

            • tim19580815
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2010
                Mike/Gary,

                LMAB (BS40 CV type) needles should be set at #4 groove (counting 1-5 from top down). #3 will give a flatter response mid-range, but may help to compensate for needle/needle jet wear if you are getting 4-stroking on even throttle 2000-3000 rpm

                Cheers

                --- In gt750uk@..., Gary Cobb <cobb21@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mike, 3rd position was the standar setting from Suzuki on the M,A,B models. As for the L Tim will have to tell you.
                >
                > Gary
                >

                > To: gt750uk@...
                > From: yeadon_m@...
                > Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 03:52:00 -0700
                > Subject: Hi-jack, A model carb question..RE: [gt750uk] Re: 750k carb problems. same as j model.
                >

                > S'cuse me folks, been watching as I rebuild my A carbs...
                >
                > Ace / Tim - you say jet needles on 3rd position, would that be right for the later (A) model as well? Mine are still off the bike and I'd rather get it right now. I was lead to think 4th position, but great to be put right!
                >
                > Cheers all,
                > Mike

              • tim19580815
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2010
                  Mark - quite right on the needle positions - I misread the Suzuki manual - silly me!
                  Good tip on the air screws!
                  Cheers

                  --- In gt750uk@..., "mark read" <mark.read3@...> wrote:

                  > On j/k models left and right run at p4 only centre runs on p3. had the same problem on mine, turn the pilot air screws down to 1 and 1/4 , this will cure the problem.

                • Mark Reeves
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2010

                    That’ll be the 3rd groove then from the top ( not counting the top groove LOLLLL ) – well it is In Southampton speak anyhow LLOL

                    Mark ( Cobbies interpreter )

                    href="mailto:gt750uk%40yahoogroups.co.uk">gt750uk@...>
                    > Date: Saturday, 1 May, 2010, 11:48
                    >

                    > Thanks Tim, that worked brilliant on Robin`s L model mate. Thats a beer i
                    owe you at Derby

                    > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                    > From: tim4lymm@btinternet .com
                    > Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 10:05:15 +0000
                    > Subject: [gt750uk] Re: 750k carb problems. same as j model.
                    >

                    > Hi Frank,
                    >
                    > On the hunting around 3000 rpm it sounds like it probably running rich
                    mid-range.

                    > Needles should be set at position #3 (middle groove).
                    >
                    > Could also be that the needles/needle jets are worn.
                    >
                    > On hunting, pilot screws should be 1.5 turns out.
                    >
                    > Turn them in +/- 1/4 turn to get smoothest running (by ear) and then
                    adjust tickover down to ~1000 rpm and re-adjust. If t/o is too high, this is the classic cause of hunting on the over-run.

                    > Have you balanced the slides?.
                    >
                    > Cheers, "Ace"
                    >
                    > --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, "frank410" <frank410@
                    .> wrote:

                    > > Morning all, i;m haveing problems with my bike over running , not
                    shutting off when i close the twist grip.
                    > > i;ve checked the cables , slides, put new jets in, new air filter,
                    i;ve sprayed the rubbers to see if they are leaking, but they seem fine.i.ve put newtronic electronic ignition on and new coils.bike starts well.but hunts at around 3000rpm.above thet runs sweet.
                    > > any ideas? cheers Frank.
                    > >

                    > Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up now.

                    > We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell
                    us now

                  • Gary Cobb
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2010
                      So what number comes before 4 and which ways top then? And i`m in Fareham, not Southampton. Im nearer to civilisation (Portsmouth) than that lot over there. Fred comes under Southampton and i`m as close as i want to get now lmfao

                      To: gt750uk@...
                      From: mark.reeves@...
                      Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 11:30:07 +0100

                      --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Gary Cobb <cobb21@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Mike, 3rd position was the standar setting from Suzuki on the M,A,B models. As for the L Tim will have to tell you.
                      >
                      > Gary
                      >

                      > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                      > From: yeadon_m@...
                      > Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 03:52:00 -0700
                      > Subject: Hi-jack, A model carb question..RE: [gt750uk] Re: 750k carb problems. same as j model.
                      >

                      > S'cuse me folks, been watching as I rebuild my A carbs...
                      >
                      > Ace / Tim - you say jet needles on 3rd position, would that be right for the later (A) model as well? Mine are still off the bike and I'd rather get it right now. I was lead to think 4th position, but great to be put right!
                      >
                      > Cheers all,
                      > Mike

                      Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail – Free. Sign-up now.
                    • Mark Reeves
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2, 2010

                        Free cums be4  ------------- 4 !!!

                        And your fully correct Bro about the Southampton bit ---------------- sorry was having a blonde moment LLOLLL

                        To: gt750uk@...
                        From: mark.reeves@...
                        Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 11:30:07 +0100

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 2, 2010
                          Very helpful Tim, thank you. I did have 'four stroking' off-idle, on the road, but this may have been contributed to (as well) by overlarge pilots - now set to #45 stock and/or poorly seating choke plungers (seal surface refaced and plungers replaced).
                          I will see where I come out on jet needle clip position - good data to use if adjustment is needed.
                          Cheers,
                          MikeY
                          GT380B restored
                          GT750A in progress