Simple side panel badge question

  • david_gt750a_palmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hi fellow kettlers,

      Done nearly 400 miles and it is still going, so feeling good about my GT rebuild (oil leak ignored of course!)...

      I was clearning it this weekend and noticed that the badges on the side panel are flat and not curved to meet the curvature of the side panels.

      Is this correct or do I have some cheapo copies rather than Suzuki originals??

      Thanks!

      David
    • mike yeadon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
        David,
        First, congrats that all is well at 400miles and counting!

        Side panel badges should be slightly 'bendable' such that you can encourage them to conform to the slight curvature of the panel. The originals were made of some soft alloy and, like tank badges, quite easy to bend. On both, got to watch out not to over-bend them as this could crack the finish, or worse, the badge itself.

        Cheers,
        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for this! I haven't tried bending one yet - it only needs to curve by about 2mm at each end so will give it a go.

          I have to say that they looked plastic to me, however I'll bend gently and see what happens!

          Thanks,

          David
          1976 GT750A (that works)

          --- In gt750uk@..., mike yeadon <yeadon_m@...> wrote:

          > David,
          > First, congrats that all is well at 400miles and counting!
          >
          > Side panel badges should be slightly 'bendable' such that you can encourage them to conform to the slight curvature of the panel. The originals were made of some soft alloy and, like tank badges, quite easy to bend. On both, got to watch out not to over-bend them as this could crack the finish, or worse, the badge itself.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Mike

        • Mark Reeves
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010

            David -------------- as well as GENTLY bending your side panel badges ( they bend VERY easily ) – try securing them with double sided body tape – available from places such as Halfords etc !

            Stops little tea leafs tampering with them and also you can generally get a nice tight fitment against the side panel !!!

            Another money saving idea LLOLLLOLLL – from the Mick Hopson 99p menu !!!!!

            Mark