RE: [gt750uk] Kettle Rivet?

  • Alan Walker
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
      Thanks John but that link was for an X7. It's item number 23 on this link that I'm looking for....
      http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/content/pages/shop/parts/Suzuki/GT/GT750%20Kettle/J%20K%20L%20M%20A%20B%20(1972-1977)/gt750crankcases.htm

      To: gt750uk@...
      From: pollyshousey@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:18:27 +0000
      Subject: Re: [gt750uk] Kettle Rivet?

      shows up here item#28,john

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
        sorry,thought you just wanted the rivet,John

        From: Alan Walker <greyhound580@...>
        To: gt750uk@...
        Date: Sunday, 1 August, 2010, 8:39

        To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
        From: pollyshousey@ yahoo.co. uk
        Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:18:27 +0000

        shows up here item#28,john

        Can anyone tell me where on a Kettle might I find part number 09220-04001? Apparently it's a rivet but where?
        Thanks in anticipation
        Alan

      • Giles
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
          Reiner has it listed as 'rivet, return spring, shift drum stopper'
          Whatever that means.
          Giles

          http://www.crookscl assicparts. com/cgi-bin/ site-editor. pl/14/-ecommerce ?action=item; item=0922004001; eid=1058381

          To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
          From: pollyshousey@ yahoo.co. uk
          Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:18:27 +0000

          http://www.robinson sfoundry. co.uk/content/ pages/shop/ parts/Suzuki/ GT/GT250% 20X7/EN%20and% 20EX%201979- 1981/x7clutch. htm

          shows up here item#28,john

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
            Thanks for that John but where on the bike (Kettle) is this part located? I can't find it so I don't know if it's been left off at some point in it's past or if I'm just not looking in the right place.
            Regards
            Alan

            To: gt750uk@...
            From: pollyshousey@...
            Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 08:08:05 +0000

            sorry,thought you just wanted the rivet,John

            From: Alan Walker <greyhound580@ hotmail.co. uk>
            To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
            Date: Sunday, 1 August, 2010, 8:39

            To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
            From: pollyshousey@ yahoo.co. uk
            Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:18:27 +0000

            shows up here item#28,john

            Can anyone tell me where on a Kettle might I find part number 09220-04001? Apparently it's a rivet but where?
            Thanks in anticipation
            Alan

          • KEITH RUDD
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
              Well it's shown on page 2 of the parts book as item 23 ....... all Kettles have them!!!! It is under "Bushing, waterpump driven" in the diagram so it must be in that general area ..... not really noticed what it is but why do you need to know Alan, do you think yours is missing ........ but if you do, how do you know when you don't know where it's meant to be ...... confused!!!!!!!

              To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
              From: pollyshousey@ yahoo.co. uk
              Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 08:08:05 +0000

              sorry,thought you just wanted the rivet,John

              From: Alan Walker <greyhound580@ hotmail.co. uk>
              To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
              Date: Sunday, 1 August, 2010, 8:39

              To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
              From: pollyshousey@ yahoo.co. uk
              Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:18:27 +0000

              shows up here item#28,john

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                Thanks for your comments Keith. I share your confusion but it's shown as a component, it has a part number and a replacement is available but I can't locate it or see where it's supposed to go. I did wonder if it was a means of blanking a hole in the top half of the crancase (directly above the water pump shaft) that might be used to access the top of the shaft (to aid removal) of the water pump but I don't believe that was ever a Suzuki facility. I would have expected that to be a threaded part but I was clutching at straws during this line of thought.
                The water pump driven bushing is obviously an inner crankcase component and the rivet in question could also be an internal part so before I assemble the two crankcase halves, I wanted to be sure it's fitted. I don't know if mine is missing because I don't know where it's supposed to be and as I acquired this engine in bits I wanted to make sure everything is accounted for before I close up the crankcase halves. That's the practical reason for my question, the other is pure curiosity.
                I suppose it could be a parts list error?
                Alan

                To: gt750uk@...
                From: keith_rudd@...
                Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:19:41 -0700

                To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                From: pollyshousey@ yahoo.co. uk
                Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 08:08:05 +0000

                sorry,thought you just wanted the rivet,John

                From: Alan Walker <greyhound580@ hotmail.co. uk>
                To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                Date: Sunday, 1 August, 2010, 8:39

                To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                From: pollyshousey@ yahoo.co. uk
                Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:18:27 +0000

                shows up here item#28,john

              • widgieland@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                  from what i can see, its something to hook a spring over, that keeps tension on something to do with the gear change.

                  --- In gt750uk@..., Alan Walker <greyhound580@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for your comments Keith. I share your confusion but it's shown as a component, it has a part number and a replacement is available but I can't locate it or see where it's supposed to go. I did wonder if it was a means of blanking a hole in the top half of the crancase (directly above the water pump shaft) that might be used to access the top of the shaft (to aid removal) of the water pump but I don't believe that was ever a Suzuki facility. I would have expected that to be a threaded part but I was clutching at straws during this line of thought.
                  >
                  > The water pump driven bushing is obviously an inner crankcase component and the rivet in question could also be an internal part so before I assemble the two crankcase halves, I wanted to be sure it's fitted. I don't know if mine is missing because I don't know where it's supposed to be and as I acquired this engine in bits I wanted to make sure everything is accounted for before I close up the crankcase halves. That's the practical reason for my question, the other is pure curiosity.
                  >
                  > I suppose it could be a parts list error?
                  >
                  > Alan
                  >

                  > To: gt750uk@...
                  > From: keith_rudd@...
                  > Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:19:41 -0700
                  > Subject: Re: [gt750uk] Kettle Rivet?
                  >

                  > Well it's shown on page 2 of the parts book as item 23 ....... all Kettles have them!!!! It is under "Bushing, waterpump driven" in the diagram so it must be in that general area ..... not really noticed what it is but why do you need to know Alan, do you think yours is missing ........ but if you do, how do you know when you don't know where it's meant to be ...... confused!!!!!!!

                • KEITH RUDD
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                    Ah ...... that's what it'll be then ...... it's what the stopper cam spring fits on inside the lower engine case just in front of the gearshift fork shaft. That must be a one time on the production line fit and I can see no reason why it should ever come loose unless some serious damage has been done to the crankcases!!!

                    from what i can see, its something to hook a spring over, that keeps tension on something to do with the gear change.

                    --- In gt750uk@..., Alan Walker <greyhound580@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for your comments Keith. I share your confusion but it's shown as a component, it has a part number and a replacement is available but I can't locate it or see where it's supposed to go. I did wonder if it was a means of blanking a hole in the top half of the crancase (directly above the water pump shaft) that might be used to access the top of the shaft (to aid removal) of the water pump but I don't believe that was ever a Suzuki facility. I would have expected that to be a threaded part but I was clutching at straws during this line of thought.
                    >
                    > The water pump driven bushing is obviously an inner crankcase component and the rivet in question could also be an internal part so before I assemble the two crankcase halves, I wanted to be sure it's fitted. I don't know if mine is missing because I don't know where it's supposed to be and as I acquired this engine in bits I wanted to make sure everything is accounted for before I close up the crankcase halves. That's the practical reason for my question, the other is pure curiosity.
                    >
                    > I suppose it could be a parts list error?
                    >
                    > Alan
                    >

                    > To: gt750uk@...
                    > From: keith_rudd@...
                    > Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:19:41 -0700
                    > Subject: Re: [gt750uk] Kettle Rivet?
                    >

                    > Well it's shown on page 2 of the parts book as item 23 ....... all Kettles have them!!!! It is under "Bushing, waterpump driven" in the diagram so it must be in that general area ..... not really noticed what it is but why do you need to know Alan, do you think yours is missing ........ but if you do, how do you know when you don't know where it's meant to be ...... confused!!!!!!!

                  • Alan Walker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                      It sounds like a distict possibility. I'll check it out. I seem to remember from memory that it was a part of the casting but I could well be wrong.
                      Just one other thought..... along the same lines....... The clutch return spring needs to anchor to something so if I draw a blank on this suggestion it's another area to look at.
                      Thanks guys for all your help.
                      Alan

                      To: gt750uk@...
                      From: keith_rudd@...
                      Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:32:10 +0000
                      Subject: Re: [gt750uk] Re: Kettle Rivet?

                      --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Alan Walker <greyhound580@ ...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for your comments Keith. I share your confusion but it's shown as a component, it has a part number and a replacement is available but I can't locate it or see where it's supposed to go. I did wonder if it was a means of blanking a hole in the top half of the crancase (directly above the water pump shaft) that might be used to access the top of the shaft (to aid removal) of the water pump but I don't believe that was ever a Suzuki facility. I would have expected that to be a threaded part but I was clutching at straws during this line of thought.
                      >
                      > The water pump driven bushing is obviously an inner crankcase component and the rivet in question could also be an internal part so before I assemble the two crankcase halves, I wanted to be sure it's fitted. I don't know if mine is missing because I don't know where it's supposed to be and as I acquired this engine in bits I wanted to make sure everything is accounted for before I close up the crankcase halves. That's the practical reason for my question, the other is pure curiosity.
                      >
                      > I suppose it could be a parts list error?
                      >
                      > Alan
                      >

                      > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                      > From: keith_rudd@. ..
                      > Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:19:41 -0700
                      > Subject: Re: [gt750uk] Kettle Rivet?
                      >

                      > Well it's shown on page 2 of the parts book as item 23 ....... all Kettles have them!!!! It is under "Bushing, waterpump driven" in the diagram so it must be in that general area ..... not really noticed what it is but why do you need to know Alan, do you think yours is missing ........ but if you do, how do you know when you don't know where it's meant to be ...... confused!!!! !!!

                    • KEITH RUDD
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                        It's definitely a "no" to your clutch return spring alternative Alan ...... that  part is cast into the main clutch cover!!!!!!

                        From: keith_rudd@btintern et.com
                        Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:32:10 +0000

                        Ah ...... that's what it'll be then ...... it's what the stopper cam spring fits on inside the lower engine case just in front of the gearshift fork shaft. That must be a one time on the production line fit and I can see no reason why it should ever come loose unless some serious damage has been done to the crankcases!! !

                        from what i can see, its something to hook a spring over, that keeps tension on something to do with the gear change.

                        --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Alan Walker <greyhound580@ ...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for your comments Keith. I share your confusion but it's shown as a component, it has a part number and a replacement is available but I can't locate it or see where it's supposed to go. I did wonder if it was a means of blanking a hole in the top half of the crancase (directly above the water pump shaft) that might be used to access the top of the shaft (to aid removal) of the water pump but I don't believe that was ever a Suzuki facility. I would have expected that to be a threaded part but I was clutching at straws during this line of thought.
                        >
                        > The water pump driven bushing is obviously an inner crankcase component and the rivet in question could also be an internal part so before I assemble the two crankcase halves, I wanted to be sure it's fitted. I don't know if mine is missing because I don't know where it's supposed to be and as I acquired this engine in bits I wanted to make sure everything is accounted for before I close up the crankcase halves. That's the practical reason for my question, the other is pure curiosity.
                        >
                        > I suppose it could be a parts list error?
                        >
                        > Alan
                        >

                        > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                        > From: keith_rudd@. ..
                        > Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:19:41 -0700
                        > Subject: Re: [gt750uk] Kettle Rivet?
                        >

                        > Well it's shown on page 2 of the parts book as item 23 ....... all Kettles have them!!!! It is under "Bushing, waterpump driven" in the diagram so it must be in that general area ..... not really noticed what it is but why do you need to know Alan, do you think yours is missing ........ but if you do, how do you know when you don't know where it's meant to be ...... confused!!!! !!!

                      • Alan Walker
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                          OK. I'll check the gear selector drum stopper cam. It sounds like it could be right but not shown very clearly on the parts diagram.
                          Thanks
                          Alan

                          To: gt750uk@...
                          From: keith_rudd@...
                          Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:50:27 -0700

                          From: keith_rudd@btintern et.com
                          Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:32:10 +0000

                          Ah ...... that's what it'll be then ...... it's what the stopper cam spring fits on inside the lower engine case just in front of the gearshift fork shaft. That must be a one time on the production line fit and I can see no reason why it should ever come loose unless some serious damage has been done to the crankcases!! !

                          from what i can see, its something to hook a spring over, that keeps tension on something to do with the gear change.

                          --- In gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk, Alan Walker <greyhound580@ ...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for your comments Keith. I share your confusion but it's shown as a component, it has a part number and a replacement is available but I can't locate it or see where it's supposed to go. I did wonder if it was a means of blanking a hole in the top half of the crancase (directly above the water pump shaft) that might be used to access the top of the shaft (to aid removal) of the water pump but I don't believe that was ever a Suzuki facility. I would have expected that to be a threaded part but I was clutching at straws during this line of thought.
                          >
                          > The water pump driven bushing is obviously an inner crankcase component and the rivet in question could also be an internal part so before I assemble the two crankcase halves, I wanted to be sure it's fitted. I don't know if mine is missing because I don't know where it's supposed to be and as I acquired this engine in bits I wanted to make sure everything is accounted for before I close up the crankcase halves. That's the practical reason for my question, the other is pure curiosity.
                          >
                          > I suppose it could be a parts list error?
                          >
                          > Alan
                          >

                          > To: gt750uk@yahoogroups .co.uk
                          > From: keith_rudd@. ..
                          > Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:19:41 -0700
                          > Subject: Re: [gt750uk] Kettle Rivet?
                          >

                          > Well it's shown on page 2 of the parts book as item 23 ....... all Kettles have them!!!! It is under "Bushing, waterpump driven" in the diagram so it must be in that general area ..... not really noticed what it is but why do you need to know Alan, do you think yours is missing ........ but if you do, how do you know when you don't know where it's meant to be ...... confused!!!! !!!

                        • Alan Walker
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
                            Thanks for everybodys help. The rivet does retain the gear shift drum stopper cam spring. Just not shown as well as could be on the parts list.
                            Thanks again
                            Alan

                            To: gt750uk@...
                            From: greyhound580@...