Re: Good news!

  • fspirituk
    Message 1 of 232 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi <br>I was interested in reading about the
      disability service team. I've never heard of them.<br>I work
      for the Inland Revenue. They are supposed to be equal
      opportunities but I don't get any help from them. <br>Luckily
      my friend is a proficient signer so she comes with
      me in meetings to interpret but if she's off i have
      to make do with an email from my manager after the
      meeting is over to tell me what the meeting was
      about.<br>And when it comes to fire drills forget it. I have to
      rely on my colleagues to tell me. Last time the fire
      alarm went off we were all downstairs in the filing
      room. No one bothered to tell me. Luckily my friend
      brought my coat and fetched me otherwise i'd have ended
      up outside in the freezing cold. <br>I've been there
      4 years so I suppose it's too late for me although
      I wouldn't mind asking for a digital aid as my
      normal hearing aids whistle.<br> <br>Good luck in your
      new job<br><br>Fspirit
    • elaine
      Message 232 of 232 , Nov 4, 2003
        Hi Saff,

        yes it was only near the end of Martyn's message that I realised it
        was meant for you lol!
        After I read about a deaf cellist on Hear It website I realised that
        ther was no reason why I shouldn't continue playing for as long as
        possible,but with a bit of help maybe as time goes by :~)I have
        found my playing has slipped a bit this year as I've had to put
        orchestra and my lessons on hold while I sort out my health.I
        haven't noticed any problems with distortion while I'm playing and I
        find it funny that I can actually hear music ten times more clearly
        than I can speech.I did have a discussion with my audiologist about
        the higher frequencies which I need for higher notes(but thankfully
        most of the cello notes are below middle C) and she said that I
        won't get an aid that will go that high so I guess I'll have to
        learn to feel them,if I'm not already doing that without knowing it.
        I understand that it is easier for deaf people to play wind
        instruments as the sound is transmited throught the skull via the
        teeth.I am sure Martyn can elaborate on this.
        Hope you continue to play your guitar Saff,
        Elaine xx

        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Saffron" <bel@p...> wrote:
        > LOL, I'm sure Martyn was pleased to hear about how you feel with
        > music and I'm sure his message was meant to both of us, really.
        It's

        <cello_ace@h...>