news about digital hearing aid

  • Annie
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi everyone, hope you all well and keeping busy!

      I've finally just got Digital hearing aid today. This sound so
      different from other type of hearing aids, it's sound more like
      hollow, people voices diffrent, etc. but I understand what people are
      saying without me looking at their face.

      To whoever got digital hearing aid; How it does sound like to you?

      Annie
    • elaine
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Annie,

        I'm trialling digital aids too but they don't sound hollow ,more
        like a bit muffled and I'm having more trouble with speech than I
        did before.Think I still need one or 2 more adjustments but the
        music programme was great when I played my cello today :)

        Elaine xx

        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Annie" <annie66uk@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi everyone, hope you all well and keeping busy!
        >
        > I've finally just got Digital hearing aid today. This sound so
        > different from other type of hearing aids, it's sound more like
        > hollow, people voices diffrent, etc. but I understand what people
        are
        > saying without me looking at their face.
        >
        > To whoever got digital hearing aid; How it does sound like to you?
        >
        > Annie
      • Saffron
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
          Hi Annie and Elaine,

          Annie, great that you finally got digitals! I know what you mean when
          you say that "it sounds hollow"... I had a similar impression when I
          tried one of the digitals in the past (can't remember which one). The
          most important thing is that you are able to understand speech better
          with them, that's good news! I hope that you get used to the very
          different sound and that you benefit from them more than you did from
          the analogues.

          Elaine, sorry to hear that you are still struggling with the
          digitals. I hope that a bit more fine tuning and persevering will
          result in more pleasant and clearer sound and that in the end, you
          will hear speech at least as clearly as you did with analogues (and
          still hear music better).

          I'm still waiting for my appointment for the hearing-aid re-
          assessment, but it shouldn't take long, as my audiology department
          now has more rooms and more staff than before, so the waiting lists
          seem to be getting smaller now.

          Saffron
        • elaine
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
            Hi Saff,

            I tried the music setting yesterday when I got my cello out for the
            first time in ages and it was great and speech is OK on that setting
            too but the main setting is awful.It's so muffly and crackly in my
            right ear.I am sure that aid isn't working properly and it even
            crackled today when I used the phone on T setting -weird!! I will
            hav to go back and have another fine tune.The one thing with speech
            is that I am struggling with my P's and B's and they are sounds that
            I can hear OK without my aids .It's like the moulds are blockiung
            those sounds but the aids aren't producing them -hmmmm! The other
            weird things is that today the aids picked up the sound of the
            metrolink 1.5 miles away although it was distorted yet I struggle
            with speech - bizarre!!
            Hope you get on better this time when you get your appointment,
            Elaine xx

            --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Saffron" <bel@p...> wrote:
            > Hi Annie and Elaine,
            >
            > Annie, great that you finally got digitals! I know what you mean
            when
            > you say that "it sounds hollow"... I had a similar impression when
            > tried one of the digitals in the past (can't remember which one).
            The
            > most important thing is that you are able to understand speech
            better
            > with them, that's good news! I hope that you get used to the very
            > different sound and that you benefit from them more than you did
            from
            > the analogues.
            >
            > Elaine, sorry to hear that you are still struggling with the
            > digitals. I hope that a bit more fine tuning and persevering will
            > result in more pleasant and clearer sound and that in the end, you
            > will hear speech at least as clearly as you did with analogues
            (and
            > still hear music better).
            >
            > I'm still waiting for my appointment for the hearing-aid re-
            > assessment, but it shouldn't take long, as my audiology department
            > now has more rooms and more staff than before, so the waiting
            lists
            > seem to be getting smaller now.
            >
            > Saffron
          • Saffron
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
              Hello again Elaine,

              You said: "The one thing with speech is that I am struggling with my
              P's and B's and they are sounds that I can hear OK without my
              aids .It's like the moulds are blockiung those sounds but the aids
              aren't producing them"

              That's strange... I thought that you had a high frequency loss? Ps
              and Bs are particularly difficult to hear for people with high
              frequency loss and if anything, you hearing aids should be programmed
              to boost them. It is possible that you have the wrong kind of mould,
              but your frequency loss should have been taken into account when they
              chose the mould for you. Some moulds aren't very good at conducting
              high frequency sounds, others are better.

              If your hearing aid crackles, it definitely sounds like it's not
              working well. It sounds as if you need to be given another one,
              rather than just having it adjusted, as if it's faulty, you will have
              the problem whatever way they program it.

              At least it's great that you found the music setting so good,
              particularly since you are a cellist.

              All the best,

              Saffron
            • elaine
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
                Hi Saff,

                I did have a high frequency loss originally but since the MD has
                taken its toll I now have a funny up and down sort of audiogram.I
                still have the original loss at high frequencies but my low
                frequencies fluctuate a bit.The only one that's stable is about 4K
                which is the one that's closest to normal at about 25dB.I looked on
                a chart I got from a magazine/book and P's(I think) are about 2K and
                B's are about 500.I do find the moulds they give me at this hospital
                are not as clear sounding as the ones I used to get from the first
                hospital so I tend to need an extra few dB to help.
                I am not sure what is going on with the right aid.I am also trying
                to get my room loop working properly and I'm finding the telecoil is
                too loud with that even when it's turned down but I can't hear
                properly when I use T on the phone and it is now really crackly on
                the phone!
                I asked for a boost on the low frequencies on the music programme as
                I did have it "as it comes" and it gave me a boost around 2-4K which
                made everything sound really tinny! It was nice to have a good play
                again and I will have to get back into the swing of things
                again.I'm a little unsure how these aids will cope in orchestra as I
                was used to the others.These ones seem to cut out if things get loud
                so I could be making mistakes if they all play loud :~(
                Thanks for the info about the moulds.I didn't know they were
                different for different types of loss,
                Elaine xx
              • sarah moshe
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 8, 2004
                  Elaine,
                  I am having a very similar experience to you with my
                  Phonak Perseo. I seem to be hearing sounds I don't
                  want to hear even though they are clear such as the
                  sound of footsteps and voices of people scurrying past
                  me in a busy street. I also miss out on the B's, D's,
                  and P's which I don't think were a problem with my
                  analogue. I'm not sure it's the moulds that are
                  blocking the sounds because the hearing aid should be
                  fine-tuned enough to deal with these consonants.
                  I really like reading about your experiences as I
                  often feel I'm the only one struggling and
                  persevering. I was mad with my audiologist for not
                  explaining what he was doing; I like to know exactly
                  how he fine-tunes each setting every time I visit. He
                  gave me a lot more 'gain' this time, which they won't
                  do to start with because your ears will blow up i.e.
                  all these unfamiliar sounds would be too overwhelming.
                  Well I feel I am getting too much 'gain' now. When I
                  tried the Phonak Claro it was a lot quieter and I felt
                  I wasn't getting enough gain but he said this is
                  normal because I am used to too much amplification
                  with analogue and digital is supposed to feel quieter.
                  This doesn't make sense as it's not what I am
                  experiencing at the moment. I just wish he would
                  explain this to me but he won't and I'm going mad! He
                  keeps saying I should just go away and try it outb and
                  that I should train in this field if I'm interested.
                  I'm not asking for a lecture, it doesn't require too
                  much effort as I've had it explained to me before
                  evern though I couldn't understand half of it.
                  As for the sound of my own voice, it is sharper but
                  hollow at the same time. I wonder if this has to do
                  with too much low frequency gain.
                  If any hearing professionals out there are able to
                  help I would much appreciate it. I am thinking of
                  going to another audiologist and just paying him to
                  explain my current settings to me and whether he
                  agrees with the settings I've been given. Every
                  audiologist differs enormously with their own idea of
                  what is right, which worries me as it is very
                  subjective.
                  Sarah Moshe.

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                • mazza1961
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 9, 2004
                    Hi Annie,

                    You have had the digital aids just over a week now. How are you
                    getting on with them now. I hope the advise that others have given
                    this past week on digitals has helped you :)

                    Take care

                    Mazza xx

                    wrote:

                    > Hi everyone, hope you all well and keeping busy!
                    >
                    > I've finally just got Digital hearing aid today. This sound so
                    > different from other type of hearing aids, it's sound more like
                    > hollow, people voices diffrent, etc. but I understand what people
                    are
                    > saying without me looking at their face.
                    >
                    > To whoever got digital hearing aid; How it does sound like to you?
                    >
                    > Annie
                  • elaine
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 9, 2004
                      HI Sarah,

                      Sorry to hear you're going through some experiences the same as me
                      but relieved I'm not the only one going through this.
                      I'm not convinced that it is purely down to the change from analogue
                      to digital and ,although I agree with the overamplification excuse
                      to some extent,I have noticed that my aids are quite muffly with
                      speech and that I am becoming more selective in who I listen to.My
                      family can be divided into 2 halves -eldest daughter and son ,and
                      hubby and younger daughter.The first 2 I can hear to some extent
                      even without my aids and the latter 2 I struggle with.I have noticed
                      that my analogues made it easy to hear the latter 2 but these
                      digital aids make all speech muffly and I am reliant on lipreading
                      them unless they are close to me.I've also noticed that when my
                      speech distorts due to my Menieres that my analogue aids coped quite
                      well with this but these aids make it even worse!
                      Are you buying your aids or getting them from the NHS? I have found
                      that my audiologists don't mind me asking about the aids and the
                      settings but I have come across rude audios too that seem to
                      begrudge dispensing them in the first place!I think yours saying
                      that you should train in this field is very rude! I was told they
                      would be quiet at first and I haven't noticed that increasing the
                      gain has caused me any problems with sound.The only time it's been
                      too loud has been when I shut my cello case when on the music
                      programme(it has noisy clips!) and when I use the telly loop for
                      watching the telly(not videos which are OK).I am generally finding
                      that my own voice is on the quieter side of things,even though I'm a
                      noisy person lol! I am still not sure if my right aid is working
                      properly as it has gone dead 5 days after changing the battery in it
                      and then been OK only to do the same thing again-grrr!
                      BY the way I tried to take my old aids to a private dispenser to get
                      them reset but they wouldn't do it.
                      Are you a member of the Hearing Aids Yahoo group? If so ,there are
                      several audiologists on there who are great at explaining all the
                      things your audio can't be bothered to.I agree with you on the point
                      of audiologists ideas being different.At least mine have to take an
                      open view like me because of my Menieres ;)

                      Hope this helps and let us know how you get on,
                      Elaine xx

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 9, 2004
                        Thanks Elaine. I didn't know they had a Hearing Aids
                        yahoo group. I will certainly join it and continue to
                        describe my more detailed experiences on there.
                        There's been a lot of talk on digital aids and I don't
                        want to overwhelm the site with my issues, which seems
                        to be my main concern at the moment. Indeed I think
                        it's not fair to those who are not interested or at
                        least not considering trying them out.
                        Sarah Moshe.

                      • Fran Walker
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 9, 2004
                          Just thought I'd put my two pennorth in the digi v analogue debate. I've had Widex senso digital aids for over 2 years. Last week I tried out various other digital aids as I'm beginning to struggle even with these. I tried phonak Supero (I think) and an Oticon one. Neither was a patch on the ones I've currently got and I'll stay with them. But the gist of my message is that they they each sounded incredibly different from each other. The Phonak ones were far too quiet and indistinct as well. The Oticon ones were louder but the sound was incredibly 'distant' - but my own voice sounded like I remember it from prehearing aids days. The audiologist fiddled around for ages with various settings on both - I was there over 2 hours. I was especially anxious as that day I had computer training booked and I needed to be able to hear as well as I could - so I didn't want ones that I would have to get used to. Also on some high frequencies my hearing loss is now over 120DB so no HA can help at that level. I hadn't realised that. But I'm not too bad on the lower frequencies, ( about 70DB)
                          So if you're not finding any improvements when you try digi aids but you still think you need something better than analogue its probabaly worth persevering and trying different types. It must be sunjective and depdn not only on each person's individual hearing loss pattern but on how they want to hear sounds as well.

                          I also got new moulds - extra tight fitting, no vents - a few weeeks ago - and that made a huge difference too.

                          --- elaine <cello_ace@...> wrote:
> [...]
                          > explaining all the
                          > things your audio can't be bothered to.I agree with
                          > you on the point
                          > of audiologists ideas being different.At least mine
                          > have to take an
                          > open view like me because of my Menieres ;)
                          >
                          > Hope this helps and let us know how you get on,
                          > Elaine xx
                          >

                          > > If any hearing professionals out there are able to
                          > > help I would much appreciate it. I am thinking of
                          > > going to another audiologist and just paying him
                          > > explain my current settings to me and whether he
                          > > agrees with the settings I've been given. Every
                          > > audiologist differs enormously with their own idea
                          > of
                          > > what is right, which worries me as it is very
                          > > subjective.
                          > > Sarah Moshe.

                          > > Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • errnngh
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 10, 2004
                            Dear Sarah and Elaine,

                            On this website, I have mentioned my 'digital experience' with a
                            Phonak Claro before. [I'm back to analogues !]

                            I'd just like to say that I think there would be fewer people
                            dissatisfied with hearing aids if some of the 'hearing professionals'
                            were HOH. I wouldn't wish HOH on anybody, but HOH professionals
                            would better understand our needs.

                            Ciao,

                            Nigel

                            --- In hardofhearinguk@..., sarah moshe
                            <sarahmoshe@y...> wrote:
                            > Elaine,
                            > I am having a very similar experience to you with my
                            > Phonak Perseo...
                          • Saffron
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 10, 2004
                              Hi Nigel,

                              I agree with you, I too wish there were more audiologists who were
                              HOH themselves (never came across one!).

                              I must say though, it can be difficult to do a career in audiology if
                              you need to communicate orally with members of the public all the
                              time, unless you are a very good lipreader and/or have mild to
                              moderate hearing loss (as opposed to severe to profound). I, myself,
                              considered applying to get on the audiology degree course in London
                              (that started last September), but I opted not to because I find it
                              so tiring to listen all day. I'm not a good lipreader and I think I
                              would find it tiring to work as an audiologist (and even more tiring
                              to do the degree course). Also, the course is a 4-year degree and I
                              didn't think I could afford it (as it happens, this one is paid for
                              by the NHS, but still, I couldn't afford to spend the next 4 years
                              without an income).

                              Having said that, if there are any people out there considering a
                              career change, it's well worth considering going into, particularly
                              since there are no university fees to pay, as far as I understand. I
                              know that we already have at least one member here who is studying
                              for the audiology degree course. Perhaps charities like RNID and
                              Hearing Concern could advertise these courses in their magazines, so
                              as to encourage more HOH people to go into such professions as
                              audiology and hearing therapy?

                              Saffron

                              --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "errnngh" <errnngh@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > Dear Sarah and Elaine,
                              >
                              > On this website, I have mentioned my 'digital experience' with a
                              > Phonak Claro before. [I'm back to analogues !]
                              >
                              > I'd just like to say that I think there would be fewer people
                              > dissatisfied with hearing aids if some of the 'hearing
                              professionals'
                              > were HOH. I wouldn't wish HOH on anybody, but HOH professionals
                              > would better understand our needs.
                              >
                              > Ciao,
                              >
                              > Nigel
                              >
                              > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., sarah moshe
                              > <sarahmoshe@y...> wrote:
                              > > Elaine,
                              > > I am having a very similar experience to you with my
                              > > Phonak Perseo...
                            • elaine
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 10, 2004
                                Hi Sarah,

                                I think our general descriptions will help people in this group but
                                the finer tuning of our settings is better served by the "techies"
                                in the Hearing Aids group ;)
                                I rang my audiologist today and am seeing her in 2 weeks time.
                                Hope you get yours sorted out soon,
                                Elaine xx

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 10, 2004
                                  Thanks Fran.
                                  I've always believed that the moulds can make a difference as I seem
                                  to need an extra 10db with these moulds compared to my other ones.
                                  Maybe this make isn't as good as some others.
                                  Elaine xx

                                  --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Fran Walker"

                                  <hardofhearinguk@...>
                                  > Date: 09 February 2004 18:07
                                  > Subject: Re: [Hard of Hearing UK] Re: Audiologist & Phonak
                                  Perseo digitals

> [...]
                                  > > explaining all the
                                  > > things your audio can't be bothered to.I agree with
                                  > > you on the point
                                  > > of audiologists ideas being different.At least mine
                                  > > have to take an
                                  > > open view like me because of my Menieres ;)
                                  > >
                                  > > Hope this helps and let us know how you get on,
                                  > > Elaine xx
                                  > >

                                  > > > If any hearing professionals out there are able to
                                  > > > help I would much appreciate it. I am thinking of
                                  > > > going to another audiologist and just paying him
                                  > > > explain my current settings to me and whether he
                                  > > > agrees with the settings I've been given. Every
                                  > > > audiologist differs enormously with their own idea
                                  > > of
                                  > > > what is right, which worries me as it is very
                                  > > > subjective.
                                  > > > Sarah Moshe.

                                  > > > Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing

                                • elaine
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 10, 2004
                                    HI Nigel,

                                    I agree with you on that one.
                                    Sometimes I feel that they are trying to help but because they can
                                    hear normally themselves that they don't really understand about it
                                    all.
                                    Elaine xx

                                    wrote:
                                    > Dear Sarah and Elaine,
                                    >
                                    > On this website, I have mentioned my 'digital experience' with a
                                    > Phonak Claro before. [I'm back to analogues !]
                                    >
                                    > I'd just like to say that I think there would be fewer people
                                    > dissatisfied with hearing aids if some of the 'hearing
                                    professionals'
                                    > were HOH. I wouldn't wish HOH on anybody, but HOH professionals
                                    > would better understand our needs.
                                    >
                                    > Ciao,
                                    >
                                    > Nigel
                                    >
                                    > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., sarah moshe
                                    > <sarahmoshe@y...> wrote:
                                    > > Elaine,
                                    > > I am having a very similar experience to you with my
                                    > > Phonak Perseo...
                                  • 21st Century Hearing
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 10, 2004
                                      Hi All
                                      As most of you will know, I am a Hearing Aid Audiologist in the Private
                                      sector and I read with great interest all the comments made.
                                      With the NHS supplied Digital aids, there is a limited choice of models
                                      available. Four models for adults and 3 models for children. See pages 24/25
                                      of the latest RNID OneInSeven mag for further details.
                                      They seem to be all mid range products, which whilst offering a high level
                                      of sophistication, may fall short of the top end (Yes higher priced) aids
                                      which are available privately and which may offer more help for some
                                      individuals. I personally have over 350 models available to dispense
                                      privately.
                                      I note that some of you mention Claro and Perseo...did you try these
                                      privately? or where you lucky enough to get your NHS trust to order them in
                                      especially for you. Yes I believe they can do that, if the budget allows.
                                      I have been dispensing Digitals since they first came out some 7-8 years ago
                                      and have found that it will take several months for Analogue users to get
                                      used to the new Digital aids. The manufacturers use different algorithms and
                                      fitting rationales for each product type and some fitting rationales can be
                                      changed by the dispenser/audiologist within the computer software, which
                                      will give the hearing aid totally different characteristics.
                                      I would urge all hearing aid audiologists both private and NHS to be wary of
                                      making wholesale changes to the prescription/program of Digital aids. The
                                      best statergy is to enter the audiogramme and REM(if known) into the
                                      computers software and allow the computer to make the "first fit" Then after
                                      2-3 weeks see the client again and make any fine tuning adjustments, based
                                      on the clients experiences. It is also important that if the client has a
                                      bi-lateral hearing loss, TWO aids are fitted.
                                      I have a few copies of "Hearing is a Gift" and the latest "Gaia" magazine,
                                      so if anyone is interested in receiving a copy, just e-mail your address and
                                      I will send you them.

                                      Regards to you all

                                      Roger Rouse