Variable hearing

  • mrshmb
    Message 1 of 3 , 1 Apr 07:04
      Some mornings when I wake up my hearing seems almost normal but
      within a few minutes it drops away. This also happens during the day
      and nothing seems to eliminate the changes.

      With my old NHS aids I can simply turn up the volume and this
      compensates a little for the muzzy sound quality.

      None of the digital aids seem to have the wide range of adjustment.It
      seems that the manufacturers think our hearing is computerised and
      will not vary from time to time.

      What I need is the ability to reprogram the aid to my current hearing
      ability but I suppose that is still some way in the future.
    • elaine
      Message 2 of 3 , 1 Apr 11:53
        I think that is common to hear better in the morning as worse as the
        day goes on when we get tired.
        I agree that the digital aids don't seem to cope with the changes as
        well as the analogue ones but at least they do have volume controls
        now .If your aids have more than one programme you could get a test
        done at a worse hearing time of day then get that audiogram put into
        your second programme on the aids.Mine is used for music at the mo
        but I'm thinking of using it for my really deaf days ;)

        Elaine

        PS Do you have a name? I couldn't say hi at the beginning of my
        reply!

        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mrshmb" <mrshmb@y...>
        wrote:
        > Some mornings when I wake up my hearing seems almost normal but
        > within a few minutes it drops away. This also happens during the
        day
        > and nothing seems to eliminate the changes.
        >
        > With my old NHS aids I can simply turn up the volume and this
        > compensates a little for the muzzy sound quality.
        >
        > None of the digital aids seem to have the wide range of
        adjustment.It
        > seems that the manufacturers think our hearing is computerised and
        > will not vary from time to time.
        >
        > What I need is the ability to reprogram the aid to my current
        hearing
        > ability but I suppose that is still some way in the future.
      • mazza1961
        Message 3 of 3 , 1 Apr 14:25
          Hi Mrs H,

          Welcome to the group. Have you had your digital aids long and do
          they have a volume control. I have been trying out some Oticon
          spirit II for the past 3 weeks and sometimes I feel they are better
          but like you I sometimes feel I need the volume control to boost my
          hearing at times but also strangely I feel i need the volume control
          to turn the volume down in loud background situations as I feel my
          aids do not cut down enough on the background noise.
          I am due for a review next week and will try to push for a digital
          aid with volume control.

          Mazza