Reducing Loud Sounds

  • elaine
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      HI All,

      When I had my digitally programmable analogue aids I had a feature
      on them called Automatic Gain Control(AGC) that meant that
      everything that was louder than about 70dB was squashed quieter i.e
      I still heard it but it was reduced to below 70dB. I loved this
      feature which worked well for me when playing in
      orchestra ,listening to concerts or when I was at people's parties
      with disco's! Now I've got Siemens Prisma 2 aids they only seem to
      have the voice activation facility which means that loud sounds are
      cut out totally and things get activated again when I speak.As this
      setting fades in and out when there is no speech but only background
      noise I was forever panicking that it was my fluctuations from the
      Menieres and it was a nightmare in orchestra so I had it turned
      off.Things were OK-ish until I had my aids reset so that I could
      understand speech better(I was missing all the quiet bits!) but the
      recrank has meant that some sounds and some background noise can be
      too loud at the frequencies I am sensitive at .I could really do
      with the AGC setting from my other aids on these ones - does anyone
      know of a way round this?
      Thanks ,
      Elaine xx
    • mazza1961
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi Elaine,

        That sounds like the same problem that I posted here a short while
        back, but mine dont cut out for so long as you described. Someone
        in my local hoh group got the same aids as me on Tuesday and he is
        marvelling at them already. He said he didnt notice the traffic
        noise much, whereas I still do. Think I need to go back for a
        retune.
        Hope you get some helpful replies to your message soon :)

        Mazza

        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "elaine" <cello_ace@h...>
        wrote:

        > HI All,
        >
        > When I had my digitally programmable analogue aids I had a feature
        > on them called Automatic Gain Control(AGC) that meant that
        > everything that was louder than about 70dB was squashed quieter
        i.e
        > I still heard it but it was reduced to below 70dB. I loved this
        > feature which worked well for me when playing in
        > orchestra ,listening to concerts or when I was at people's parties
        > with disco's! Now I've got Siemens Prisma 2 aids they only seem to
        > have the voice activation facility which means that loud sounds
        are
        > cut out totally and things get activated again when I speak.As
        this
        > setting fades in and out when there is no speech but only
        background
        > noise I was forever panicking that it was my fluctuations from the
        > Menieres and it was a nightmare in orchestra so I had it turned
        > off.Things were OK-ish until I had my aids reset so that I could
        > understand speech better(I was missing all the quiet bits!) but
        the
        > recrank has meant that some sounds and some background noise can
        be
        > too loud at the frequencies I am sensitive at .I could really do
        > with the AGC setting from my other aids on these ones - does
        anyone
        > know of a way round this?
        > Thanks ,
        > Elaine xx
      • Saffron
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hi Elaine,

          Sorry, I don't know what to suggest. I once tried digitally
          programmable hearing aids that did that (cut the loud noises
          altogether) and that made me feel so dizzy and confused. Also, if I
          was listenning to a conversation, it would actually cut out
          everything when the loud sound occurred. But then, that was a long
          time ago, so I guess things have improved since then.

          I hope that you find a positive solution to your problem.

          Saff
          xx
          wrote:

          > HI All,
          >
          > When I had my digitally programmable analogue aids I had a feature
          > on them called Automatic Gain Control(AGC) that meant that
          > everything that was louder than about 70dB was squashed quieter i.e
          > I still heard it but it was reduced to below 70dB. I loved this
          > feature which worked well for me when playing in
          > orchestra ,listening to concerts or when I was at people's parties
          > with disco's! Now I've got Siemens Prisma 2 aids they only seem to
          > have the voice activation facility which means that loud sounds are
          > cut out totally and things get activated again when I speak.As this
          > setting fades in and out when there is no speech but only
          background
          > noise I was forever panicking that it was my fluctuations from the
          > Menieres and it was a nightmare in orchestra so I had it turned
          > off.Things were OK-ish until I had my aids reset so that I could
          > understand speech better(I was missing all the quiet bits!) but the
          > recrank has meant that some sounds and some background noise can be
          > too loud at the frequencies I am sensitive at .I could really do
          > with the AGC setting from my other aids on these ones - does anyone
          > know of a way round this?
          > Thanks ,
          > Elaine xx
        • elaine
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
            Hi Mazza,
            Yes it is sort of like your problem and sort of not LOL! I know part
            of it cos my ears are a bit sensitive from time to time but part of
            it is due to my new settings.Hope you get yours sorted out too,
            Elaine xx

            --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mazza1961"

            <cello_ace@h...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > HI All,
            > >
            > > When I had my digitally programmable analogue aids I had a
            feature
            > > on them called Automatic Gain Control(AGC) that meant that
            > > everything that was louder than about 70dB was squashed quieter
            > i.e
            > > I still heard it but it was reduced to below 70dB. I loved this
            > > feature which worked well for me when playing in
            > > orchestra ,listening to concerts or when I was at people's
            parties
            > > with disco's! Now I've got Siemens Prisma 2 aids they only seem
            > > have the voice activation facility which means that loud sounds
            > are
            > > cut out totally and things get activated again when I speak.As
            > this
            > > setting fades in and out when there is no speech but only
            > background
            > > noise I was forever panicking that it was my fluctuations from
            the
            > > Menieres and it was a nightmare in orchestra so I had it turned
            > > off.Things were OK-ish until I had my aids reset so that I could
            > > understand speech better(I was missing all the quiet bits!) but
            > the
            > > recrank has meant that some sounds and some background noise can
            > be
            > > too loud at the frequencies I am sensitive at .I could really do
            > > with the AGC setting from my other aids on these ones - does
            > anyone
            > > know of a way round this?
            > > Thanks ,
            > > Elaine xx
          • elaine
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi Saff,
              Yes it's the cutting out altogether that made me feel worse too.I
              had that with the voice activation on these aids but not on my DPA
              aids they sprt of "squashed" the sound so the louds bits were there
              but quieter.I had the total cut out too with these aids so that when
              the dog barked it cut out everything which was a nightmare if
              someone went past on a bike when I was watching telly :~(
              Will see what the audios say,
              Elaine xx

              <cello_ace@h...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > HI All,
              > >
              > > When I had my digitally programmable analogue aids I had a
              feature
              > > on them called Automatic Gain Control(AGC) that meant that
              > > everything that was louder than about 70dB was squashed quieter
              i.e
              > > I still heard it but it was reduced to below 70dB. I loved this
              > > feature which worked well for me when playing in
              > > orchestra ,listening to concerts or when I was at people's
              parties
              > > with disco's! Now I've got Siemens Prisma 2 aids they only seem
              > > have the voice activation facility which means that loud sounds
              are
              > > cut out totally and things get activated again when I speak.As
              this
              > > setting fades in and out when there is no speech but only
              > background
              > > noise I was forever panicking that it was my fluctuations from
              the
              > > Menieres and it was a nightmare in orchestra so I had it turned
              > > off.Things were OK-ish until I had my aids reset so that I could
              > > understand speech better(I was missing all the quiet bits!) but
              the
              > > recrank has meant that some sounds and some background noise can
              be
              > > too loud at the frequencies I am sensitive at .I could really do
              > > with the AGC setting from my other aids on these ones - does
              anyone
              > > know of a way round this?
              > > Thanks ,
              > > Elaine xx
            • Saffron
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
                I guess my new digis must do that, ie, squash the loud sounds (so, I
                still hear them, but not as loud), as I've not found traffic noise
                and the tube anywhere as loud as I used to and I've had A LOT less
                problems with my recruitment since getting them (for those who don't
                know, "recruitment" is basically hyper-sensitivity to sounds in the
                hard-of-hearing). With the analogues, I was finding myself constantly
                having to switch my hearing aids off when there were loud sounds
                around.

                Elaine, do you also feel dizzy when your hearing aid suddenly cuts
                sounds? I feel dizzy each time sounds change dramatically or if loud-
                ish sounds are turned off suddenly (like when the TV is loud and
                someone turns it off without lowering the volume first). I wonder why
                I get the dizzy sensation when that happens...

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > > cut out totally and things get activated again when I speak.As
                > this
                > > > setting fades in and out when there is no speech but only
                > > background
                > > > noise I was forever panicking that it was my fluctuations from
                > the
                > > > Menieres and it was a nightmare in orchestra so I had it turned
                > > > off.Things were OK-ish until I had my aids reset so that I
                could
                > > > understand speech better(I was missing all the quiet bits!) but
                > the
                > > > recrank has meant that some sounds and some background noise
                can
                > be
                > > > too loud at the frequencies I am sensitive at .I could really
                do
                > > > with the AGC setting from my other aids on these ones - does
              • elaine
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
                  HI Saff,

                  When I had the voice activation setting that fades in and out
                  switched on it was doing it every few minutes and I was in a
                  constant state of panic that I was about the have an attack .I also
                  didn't know whether it was me or the aids !It did make me feel a bit
                  more dizzy too but once they switched it off I felt a bit better.I'm
                  getting quite a bit of recruitment lately though .Although I can
                  hear speech better, some sounds are too loud a bit like when I had
                  my first analogues and that can make me feel a bit iffy! With what
                  you and I get it's not wonder some people give up on them!

                  <cello_ace@h...>