Hi im new here

  • michelle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hello all
      Im a 36 year old mum of 4 lovely children ages 11,10,8 and 2.
      i thought it would be a good idea to join this group as ive suffered
      for over 10 years with hearing loss
      i just got on with it for a long time till
      conversations/communicating got much harder and frustrating for me.
      only 2 weeks ago ive found out that it is conductive hearing loss
      slightly worse in the right ear than the left it was caused by my ex
      husband beating me aroung the head for many years (apparantly the
      conductive bones in my ears are shattered)
      i am having a hearing aid fitted in my right ear and 3 months later
      one for my left.
      to be completely honest i was pretty devastated when told but am
      trying to be positive at the moment !
      i would appreciate any advise from fello sufferers.
      hope to chat soon
      love michelle
    • IG
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
        Hi Michelle and welcome to the group. I'm sure you will find this a well
        worthwhile place to swap notes and gain support from like minded people.

        Your experiences sound (sorry for the analogy there :-( ), just like
        problems most of us have had but fortunately (for us anyway), not due
        to the reasons you experienced, (which is awful).

        As for advice, we have ways of making the best of what we have and I for
        one have learnt a lot from this group about how to tackle
        the general awareness of our 'hidden' problem. Have a look in the
        archive where there are messages from way back covering most
        things you may need to know about.

        I'm sure Saffy, (our esteemed group founder :-) - I'm just joking
        there Saffy) will be on line soon to put you in the picture and make you
        feel at home.

        Regards

        Ian G

        michelle wrote:

        >Hello all
        >Im a 36 year old mum of 4 lovely children ages 11,10,8 and 2.
        >i thought it would be a good idea to join this group as ive suffered
        >for over 10 years with hearing loss
        >i just got on with it for a long time till
        >conversations/communicating got much harder and frustrating for me.
        >only 2 weeks ago ive found out that it is conductive hearing loss
        >slightly worse in the right ear than the left it was caused by my ex
        >husband beating me aroung the head for many years (apparantly the
        >conductive bones in my ears are shattered)
        >i am having a hearing aid fitted in my right ear and 3 months later
        >one for my left.
        >to be completely honest i was pretty devastated when told but am
        >trying to be positive at the moment !
        >i would appreciate any advise from fello sufferers.
        >hope to chat soon
        >love michelle

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • denise7387
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
          Hi Michelle

          Welcome to the group, I havent been a member for long either. I
          hope the fitting of the aids go well for you and it helps you. I
          hope you and the family had a great Christmas and that 2005 bring
          you happiness.

          Dee
        • elaine
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
            Hi Michelle,
            Welcome to the group.I'm sorry to hear about the reason for your
            deafness .I hope you're going to press charges against him.Can they
            not operate to repair the bones like they do with another condition
            called otosclerosis?
            Feel free to ask away for tips to help cope and anything else you
            want to know,
            Elaine xx

            --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "michelle"
            <michellewdby@a...> wrote:

            > Hello all
            > Im a 36 year old mum of 4 lovely children ages 11,10,8 and 2.
            > i thought it would be a good idea to join this group as ive
            suffered
            > for over 10 years with hearing loss
            > i just got on with it for a long time till
            > conversations/communicating got much harder and frustrating for me.
            > only 2 weeks ago ive found out that it is conductive hearing loss
            > slightly worse in the right ear than the left it was caused by my
            ex
            > husband beating me aroung the head for many years (apparantly the
            > conductive bones in my ears are shattered)
            > i am having a hearing aid fitted in my right ear and 3 months
            later
            > one for my left.
            > to be completely honest i was pretty devastated when told but am
            > trying to be positive at the moment !
            > i would appreciate any advise from fello sufferers.
            > hope to chat soon
            > love michelle
          • mazza1961
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
              Hi Michelle,

              Welcome to the group. But very sorry about the reason for your
              deafness and thus having to join a group like this. Hope you get
              some comfort and help by looking through the archives and feel free
              to ask and queries you have with regards to your hearing aids.

              Happy New Year and here's to a better future.

              Mazza

              <michellewdby@a...> wrote:

              > Hello all
              > Im a 36 year old mum of 4 lovely children ages 11,10,8 and 2.
              > i thought it would be a good idea to join this group as ive
              suffered
              > for over 10 years with hearing loss
              > i just got on with it for a long time till
              > conversations/communicating got much harder and frustrating for me.
              > only 2 weeks ago ive found out that it is conductive hearing loss
              > slightly worse in the right ear than the left it was caused by my
              ex
              > husband beating me aroung the head for many years (apparantly the
              > conductive bones in my ears are shattered)
              > i am having a hearing aid fitted in my right ear and 3 months
              later
              > one for my left.
              > to be completely honest i was pretty devastated when told but am
              > trying to be positive at the moment !
              > i would appreciate any advise from fello sufferers.
              > hope to chat soon
              > love michelle
            • jezjezuk
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
                Hi Michelle!

                Welcome

                Try and continue to be positive! Its not the end of the world - though it feels like it now -
                and its awful how its happened.

                The aids will take a bit of getting used to - thats probally why you are only getting one
                first off. But hang in there.

                I also have 4 kids - a bit older than yours! You will find them a great help in comunicating
                and hearing station announcements!!

                Christine
                --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "michelle" <michellewdby@a...> wrote:

                > Hello all
                > Im a 36 year old mum of 4 lovely children ages 11,10,8 and 2.
                > i thought it would be a good idea to join this group as ive suffered
                > for over 10 years with hearing loss
                > i just got on with it for a long time till
                > conversations/communicating got much harder and frustrating for me.
                > only 2 weeks ago ive found out that it is conductive hearing loss
                > slightly worse in the right ear than the left it was caused by my ex
                > husband beating me aroung the head for many years (apparantly the
                > conductive bones in my ears are shattered)
                > i am having a hearing aid fitted in my right ear and 3 months later
                > one for my left.
                > to be completely honest i was pretty devastated when told but am
                > trying to be positive at the moment !
                > i would appreciate any advise from fello sufferers.
                > hope to chat soon
                > love michelle
              • Saffron
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
                  Hi Michelle,

                  Sorry for the delay in welcoming you to this group, but I see that
                  our lovely fellow members have already given you a warm welcome. I
                  hadn't been online for several days, due to flu and secondary
                  infections (throat and a bad case of conjunctivitis), but I'm on the
                  mend and back online now.

                  I'm the same age as you, but with no children and the only pets we
                  have are our 15 fish in the garden pond (mainly koi), but they're
                  lovely and they're much more intelligent than people give them credit
                  for.

                  I'm so sorry to hear about the cause of your deafness, but glad to
                  see you remain positive and strong. I wondered if BAHA hearing aids
                  might be a solution for you (Bone Anchored Hearing Aids), as they by-
                  pass the middle ear, hence the little bones that conduct the sound to
                  your inner ear. I'm no expert, but perhaps you could ask your
                  consultant when you next see him/her? Do you know which of the bones
                  have been damaged? I just wondered, because I have otosclerosis,
                  which affects the third bone (the smallest, called stape) and I had
                  bilateral operations to replace my stapes with plastic ones. I've had
                  the plastic ones since 1984 (left ear) and 1991 (right ear) and so
                  far, they're doing a good job at conducting the sound. However, in my
                  case, my inner ear is also affected, so the operations, atlhough
                  successful, were not enough to restore my hearing in the end, as I
                  have cochlear otosclerosis, so I wear 2 digital (NHS) hearing aids
                  and I'm very pleased with them.

                  As other members said, it will take a while getting used to hearing
                  aids, but it does vary from person to person and it's very worthwhile
                  persevering with them. As for the moulds in your ears, personally,
                  when I first got my hearing aids, I found them a bit uncomfortable,
                  but not painful at all (unlike Dale). You do get used to them and
                  quickly forget that you've got them in, but if after a while they
                  still hurt you, make sure you go back to audiology and let them know,
                  as they can file the moulds for you, to make them more comfortable.
                  Also, it helps not to have too high expectations of hearing aids, in
                  order to avoid disappointment. They help a great deal, but they don't
                  restore hearing like glasses can restore sight, so it's best not to
                  expect miracles. Having said that, without my hearing aids, I can't
                  hear anything other than very loud bassy sounds, but with them, I can
                  follow a conversation at a normal volume in a quiet environment with
                  (almost) no problem, so they are real little wonders for many people.
                  I definitely advise you to try NHS hearing aids first.

                  Do let us know how it goes when you get your hearing aids.

                  Welcome to HOHUK and all the best for 2005!

                  Saffron
                  (group founder)