Re: [Hard of Hearing UK] VAT exempt

  • legworks03
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
      Val,

      Did it ask if you wear hearing aids or consider yourself to have a
      disability? Just wondered as most products in the catalogue are
      required by people who need them due to deafness.

      Legworks03

      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Anne Morgan"
      <annemorgan@n...> wrote:
      > I've just bought a new phone, and ticked the vat exemption box.
      All that happened was I received a form to sign and send back
      confirming I needed this particular phone because of my deafness.
      No hassle

    • michellewdby@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hello
        can i ask you all
        how do you prove you have a hearing disability if you dont recieve DLA?

        michelle

      • Anne Morgan
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
          Do you wear hearing aids? have you had a hearing test which showed abnormal hearing? I would think that's all you need

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
            hiya
            yes i do have hearing aids for both ears, i have been diagnosed as having
            otosclerosis (stapes and cochlea)

            but i have been asked in the past to prove my disability, apart from my
            hearing aids i have no other proof.
            michelle

          • Anne Morgan
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
              Sorry Michelle, I don't understand how you can have been properly diagnosed with hearing loss and other problems, and still have your disability queried. Who is asking you for proof? possibly you could ask them what further proof they require?

              If it is just a matter of buying goods you need to help with your deafness, then all I have ever needed to do is to sign the form the supplier gives you.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
                Sorry Michelle, I don't understand how you can have been properly diagnosed
                with hearing loss and other problems

                ive had many audio tests done/also a scan to confirm diagnosis of
                otosclerosis by my consultant at my local audiology dept within the hospital, i was
                told they could do nothing to help my hearing as my stapes/cochlea/audiotory
                nerves were badly damaged, this is why i was supplied didi aids for both ears.
                .
                i ask as my local cinema gives free/reduced viewing to deaf and hard of
                hearing people but only if they produce DLA documents which i find unfair as i
                dont receive this disability benefit.

                thankyou for you advice
                michelle

              • Anne Morgan