Re: BBC Online Subtitles

  • Saffron
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      This is brilliant Ralph! Thank-you for posting this message with the
      link. May I encourage every member reading this to go to the link and
      post their feedback. If they don't get enough feedback, they may
      think there isn't a need to subtitled programmes online. Personally,
      I get really frustrated when I open video links or websites with
      voice and there aren't any subtitles. I'm glad the BBC is doing this
      trial. Let's hope more and more programmes online will be subtitled
      in future.

      Once again, many thanks for posting this Ralph.

      Saffron

      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Ralph Sutherland"
      <ralph@r...> wrote:
      > Hi all...received this from a good friend of mine.
      >
      > Check this link - click on "Video - latest programme".
      >
      > You will need Real player (or QuickTime) for this. When the video
      is
    • Mark Hillman
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        I saw this before on the RNID page, it's a great idea, I much prefer
        the titles OFF the screeen anyway because they tend to block my
        viewing, and appear anywhere between the half way line and the bottom
        of the screen! I recall suggesting an extra 2/3 inches at the bottom
        of TV screens dedicated to titles so the picture remained clear about
        3 years ago, they said it wasn't possible, but, it actually is.
        Admittedly it would require a new TV screen design but....... :)
      • mazza_1961
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
          Yes I agree with M. Would be great if we could get TV's where the
          subs would be off the actual pix. On some programmes you hardly see
          the persons face as it has text all over them. One of the worst
          offenders seems to be X-factor.

          Thanks Ralph for posting that infomation here :)

          Mazza

          --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Mark Hillman"
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
            Oh yes, I agree, I hate it when the subtitles are covering the face
            (impossible to lipread) or important information or pictures (sometimes
            the name of a person appears on the screen, but the subtitles cover
            that and by the time I remove them, it's too late).

            Saffron

            --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mazza_1961"
            <mk006b7708_2@b...> wrote:
            > Yes I agree with M. Would be great if we could get TV's where the
            > subs would be off the actual pix. On some programmes you hardly see
            > the persons face as it has text all over them. One of the worst
            > offenders seems to be X-factor.
            >
            > Thanks Ralph for posting that infomation here :)
            >
            > Mazza
          • Steve Wright
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
              Hearing people wouldn't want it, so if you had a "special" TV design
              just for deaf people it would be very expensive

              Steve

              On 01/12/05, mazza_1961 <mk006b7708_2@...> wrote:
              > Yes I agree with M. Would be great if we could get TV's where the
              > subs would be off the actual pix. On some programmes you hardly see
              > the persons face as it has text all over them. One of the worst
              > offenders seems to be X-factor.
              >
              > Thanks Ralph for posting that infomation here :)
              >
              > Mazza
              >
              > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Mark Hillman"
              > <melowmeldrew@y...> wrote:
              > > I saw this before on the RNID page, it's a great idea, I much prefer
              > > the titles OFF the screeen anyway because they tend to block my
              > > viewing, and appear anywhere between the half way line and the
              > bottom
              > > of the screen! I recall suggesting an extra 2/3 inches at the
              > bottom
              > > of TV screens dedicated to titles so the picture remained clear
              > about
              > > 3 years ago, they said it wasn't possible, but, it actually is.
              > > Admittedly it would require a new TV screen design but....... :)

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Saffron
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                Yes, but with modern technology, in the same way that you can choose
                to have subtitles or not, they may be able to come up with technology
                that will allow the subtitles to appear below the image itself
                without it appearing any different to those not watching subtitles.
                Perhaps that would mean a change to the design of the TV, I don't
                know, but with TVs being digital now, I think it's feasible... not
                that I'm an expert, LOL. It would be great to be able to chose the
                type of subtitles too (block ones, running subtitles, white only
                without blocking the background, like in DVD's and the cinema,
                coloured, larger, smaller, etc). Technology never ceases to amaze me
                and I think if the will is there, technology that will allow this
                will be too.

                Saffron

                --- In hardofhearinguk@..., Steve Wright