[Hard of Hearing UK] Re: radio use by hearing impaired

  • Saffron
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      MM, how about "multi-cultural deaf?", or MCD for short?

      :-)

      Saffron

      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Mellow Meldrew"
      <melowmeldrew@y...> wrote:

      > I've gone from..
      >
      > (A) Full hearing to
      > (B) Profound deafness to
      > (C) HI to
      > (D) Hearing again (when I spoke and used lip-reading) to
      > (E) Cultural deaf status via sign use to.... !
      >
      > What do you label a person who, hears nothing and cannot benefit
      from
      > any aid or implanation, who uses sign-language and lip-reading
      > equally, who sometimes goes to a deaf club sometimes to a HoH club
      > sometimes to a hearing one ?
      >
      > (Confused was one offer !).
      >
      > I never did find out, since neither deaf nor Deaf covered it, I had
      > invent another term, the Undeaf.... But both sectors run a mile
      from
      > me, when the full moon comes out !

    • Saffron
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Nick,

        Thanks for your message. Yes, you're right, it's very much a case of
        individual preference and how an individual feels about their
        deafness. It does depend a lot on our upbringing too. I think I had
        so much difficulty with the word "deaf" at first, because I was
        brought up as if my hearing was normal (it wasn't) and I was brought
        up to think that deaf meant someone who heard nothing at all. Also,
        as you say, mild, moderate, severe and profound deafness are not
        obvious in their meaning to everyone. Technically speaking, there is
        a clear definition, but I've met profoundly deaf people who coped
        much better and got a lot more out of their hearing aids than some
        people with moderate to severe deafness. It's all very relative.
        There is no black and white, just lots of different shades of grey,
        LOL. That's why finding words to define deafness is so difficult.

        Saffron

        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "foote_nick"
        <Pickles.foote@t...> wrote:

        > Hi saffron
        >
        > your piece on deafness rely struck a cord with me. I have over the
        > years been struggling with what to call myself when people ask how
        > much do I hear. I think that your points highlight a very commen
        > mistake which people make and that more people understand
        that "deaf"