Re: Feedback after weekend workshop

  • Dale
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "jeanette" <jeanette2103@y...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone
      >
      > I promised to let you know how my weekend went so here goes.

      Great. I always like to hear how other people deal with
      situations.

      > The only exception was coffee breaks, these were held in a lobby area
      > with hard floors and a very high ceiling. I just gave up and went
      > back in the room. At least people were aware I was partially deaf and
      > most realised I was not being rude. Just couldn't hear.

      Arrgghh... the dreaded coffee break. I regularly attend
      scientific conferences. The seminars are great - always good
      accoustics, clear speakers, I hardly miss a thing. Then comes the
      coffee break and all hell breaks loose. It always takes place in a
      room without any consideration for accoustics (forget about a loop
      system), gets packed with people talking noisily to each other over
      the clatter of cups and saucers, and I am always at a total loss to
      hear anything. I always end up employing the deaf nod and
      interjecting random 'yes', 'no's everywhere, and then one goes in at
      the wrong time and it's an embarrassment, at which point I usually try
      to find a quiet corner and inspect the wallpaper... And the really
      bad thing about it is that all the real business of the meeting gets
      done over coffee.

      I can feel an essay coming on... I'm collecting them together at
      http://tribalvillages.org/deaf/deaf-essay-introduction.html - maybe
      you would like to take a look... and don't forget the stuff in the
      files section over at the left of this screen, too...

      > Thank you Saffron and Mazza for setting up this group, and I look
      > forward to hopefully seeing some of you in the future, I do hope to
      > make it to the Red Lion Pub one day.

      All credit to Saffron who has given us HOHers the only real place
      that we can find each other.

      Best wishes,
      Dale