Re: [Hard of Hearing UK] Re: Assistance in booking or ordering taxi/minicabs

  • Olukayode Ajala
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi all, think follow darren's observation coz we
      really must be sure not bein targted by thise havin
      other motives,hiding behind helpin people with
      disabilities

      so we need to know if they contacted rnid/hearin
      concern what happened
      this, of coures also applies to any other form of

      mr k

    • Saffron
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi guys,

        Well, I'm glad you agree with our policy of not allowing adverts
        easily in here (in the past, I was told off for being too strict!).
        On the other hand, we do try and be fair and strike a compromise. If
        there was something that seemed genuine and could genuinely benefit
        our members here, we would allow the advert (with prior permission
        sought from us of course), but generally speaking, we don't allow
        adverts in this group. We are lucky that we've had very little Spam
        and when we did, Mazza was very good at spotting it quickly and
        deleting the messages in question. I don't consider the message re
        booking cabs as Spam, as the person was asking for permsission to
        post, but as it happens, I have not received a reply to my message
        here, nor a private email from that person, so I'm doubting how
        genuine this is.

        I'll keep you informed if there are any news on this.

        Saffron

        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., Olukayode Ajala
        <mrkstuk@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, think follow darren's observation coz we
        > really must be sure not bein targted by thise havin
        > other motives,hiding behind helpin people with
        > disabilities
        >
        > so we need to know if they contacted rnid/hearin
        > concern what happened
        > this, of coures also applies to any other form of
        >
        > mr k

        http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

      • Lawrence Kendall
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hi Saffron,

          I have responded to your last e mail and it was sent to the e mail you gave me saffron68@... and may i assure you i and my organisation are very genuine as you will come to find out.
          I await your comments and valued input; however i shall not post anything further in relation to this without your prior permission. If you wish to e mail my corporate address is Lk@...
          Thank you for reading this note

          Very best regards

          Lawrence

          --- In hardofhearinguk@ yahoogroups. co.uk, Olukayode Ajala
          <mrkstuk@... > wrote:

          > Hi all, think follow darren's observation coz we
          > really must be sure not bein targted by thise havin
          > other motives,hiding behind helpin people with
          > disabilities
          >
          > so we need to know if they contacted rnid/hearin
          > concern what happened
          > this, of coures also applies to any other form of
          >
          > mr k

          http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

        • Olukayode Ajala
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hi all,

            I have this induction/training course with nhs
            professionals in watford.it is a route to bank
            employment with above mentioned organisation.

            what are the tips U think will be good for me dealing
            with communication issues,both while in training, and
            hopefully, while on the job(as a placement officer)?

            I hope I have much to read and ruminate over during
            the weekend, from you esteemed/valued folks!

            Regards

            mr k

          • Alasdair Grant
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
              Hi All,

              I think that some adverts could be allowed on the grounds that it was promoting a new communication relay service or a deaf/hoh related event such as diving but not too often.

              Cheers,
              Alasdair

              <mrkstuk@...> wrote:

              > Hi all, think follow darren's observation coz we
              > really must be sure not bein targted by thise havin
              > other motives,hiding behind helpin people with
              > disabilities
              >
              > so we need to know if they contacted rnid/hearin
              > concern what happened
              > this, of coures also applies to any other form of
              >
              > mr k

              http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            • Saffron
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
                Hi Alasdair,

                We do consider some adverts and allow them, but we need people to
                seek permission first and don't automatically authorise adverts just
                because they're deaf-related. We are considering the one about
                calling taxis and mini-cabs, but I've been unwell lately and not had
                an opportunity to properly discuss it with Mazza, the co-owner of
                this group.

                We always seek to strike a fair compromise.

                Saffron

                --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Alasdair Grant" <al@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > I think that some adverts could be allowed on the grounds that it
                was promoting a new communication relay service or a deaf/hoh related
                event such as diving but not too often.

                > Cheers,
                > Alasdair

              • tufti_squirrel
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Hi Everyone,
                  There was an article in the last Hearing Concern Magazine for London
                  black cabs you can text 1156 to 83220 which lets you book the
                  nearest black cab. There are also a number of cab firms that have
                  SMS services, I've listed a few below.

                  http://www.textataxi.com/index_1.asp

                  http://www.taxibytext.co.uk/

                  http://www.cabfind.com/text.asp

                  Hope this is of somes help?
                  Best Regards
                  Tufti
                  xxx

                  PS. This is not an advert &I did run this past Saffron first.

                  --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Saffron" <saffron68@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Alasdair,
                  >
                  > We do consider some adverts and allow them, but we need people to
                  > seek permission first and don't automatically authorise adverts
                  just
                  > because they're deaf-related. We are considering the one about
                  > calling taxis and mini-cabs, but I've been unwell lately and not
                  had
                  > an opportunity to properly discuss it with Mazza, the co-owner of
                  > this group.
                  >
                  > We always seek to strike a fair compromise.
                  >
                  > Saffron
                  >
                  > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Alasdair Grant" <al@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi All,
                  > >
                  > > I think that some adverts could be allowed on the grounds that
                  it
                  > was promoting a new communication relay service or a deaf/hoh
                  related
                  > event such as diving but not too often.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Alasdair

                • mazza_1961
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                    Also I did read of some people that sucessfully managed to text
                    local taxi firms to their landline phone and when the taxi firm pick
                    up the phone they receive your text message via voice. Of course
                    you would have to make arrangements with local taxi firms first to
                    let them know you might be contacting them this way. I wonder if
                    this would work out cheaper. Anyone know if the firms that
                    specifically mention they have a SMS service charge more than normal
                    taxi firms?

                    Mazza

                    --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "tufti_squirrel"
                    <tufti_squirrel@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    > There was an article in the last Hearing Concern Magazine for
                    London
                    > black cabs you can text 1156 to 83220 which lets you book the
                    > nearest black cab. There are also a number of cab firms that have
                    > SMS services, I've listed a few below.
                    >
                    > http://www.textataxi.com/index_1.asp
                    >
                    > http://www.taxibytext.co.uk/
                    >
                    > http://www.cabfind.com/text.asp
                    >
                    > Hope this is of somes help?
                    > Best Regards
                    > Tufti
                    > xxx
                    >
                    > PS. This is not an advert &I did run this past Saffron first.
                    >

                    > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Saffron" <saffron68@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Alasdair,
                    > >
                    > > We do consider some adverts and allow them, but we need people
                    > > seek permission first and don't automatically authorise adverts
                    > just
                    > > because they're deaf-related. We are considering the one about
                    > > calling taxis and mini-cabs, but I've been unwell lately and not
                    > had
                    > > an opportunity to properly discuss it with Mazza, the co-owner
                    of
                    > > this group.
                    > >
                    > > We always seek to strike a fair compromise.
                    > >
                    > > Saffron
                    > >
                    > > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Alasdair Grant" <al@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi All,
                    > > >
                    > > > I think that some adverts could be allowed on the grounds that
                    > it
                    > > was promoting a new communication relay service or a deaf/hoh
                    > related
                    > > event such as diving but not too often.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers,
                    > > > Alasdair

                  • Saffron
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2006
                      We (Mazza and I) have given permission to Lawrence from Text a taxi
                      to post his advert here and ask for feedback. However, we would like
                      to emphasize that this does not mean we are endorsing this service
                      and we encourage everyone to ask questions and to seek information on
                      all similar services available too. If this service doesn't work out
                      for any of our members, HoHUK is not responsible for this. We are
                      just allowing one advert about a service which may be useful deaf and
                      hard of hearing people.

                      We would also like to remind everyone that texting is not 100% safe,
                      as sometimes text messages do not get through, though of course, the
                      fact that this service apparently gives you a reply to confirm seems
                      a good thing.

                      You may want to shop around and perhaps, ask your local taxi firm if
                      you can come to an arrangement and you can text them for a taxi, so
                      that you can compare fees, or if you prefer to order a taxi from a
                      company that you know.

                      We think in London, you can already text many cab companies. Have a
                      look at the Hearing Concern article on this subject and at their
                      earlier post this week about this and see what works best for you. I
                      guess it's good to be aware of all different options, so that you
                      don't get stranded going home if you need a taxi and can't hear on
                      the phone.

                      Also, please, do tell us of your experiences. It's good to hear of
                      what works well and what doesn't and also do give this new company
                      feedback, as this will help them improve their services if necessary.

                      Thank-you,

                      Saffron and Mazza