Re: WARNING VIRUS ALERT!!!

  • ma_theresauk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hi All

      Just an addition to Elaines warning:

      There are some sick virus makers out there - there's all some sick
      hoaxers too! Virus protection is a must these days unless you want to
      catch summit nasty! Never open any attachments if you're unsure of
      the sender.

      Hoaxes also cause panic and I'd reccommend that before you pass on
      virus warning that you check this web site:

      http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

      It's run my Norton (Systamtec) and is very good at keeping up to date
      with viruses and hoaxes - book mark it today!

      ATB

      Maria

      --- In hardofhearinguk@y..., "cello_ace" <cello_ace@h...> wrote:
      > There is a malicious person out there sending e-mails which contain
      > nasty virus.
      > I am a member of another group and 2 of us received this e-mail.It
      > was sent to us so that it looked like it was from the group but we
      > both received it with different subject headings.The e-mail has 2
      > attachments -the first has the virus so I couldn't open it as my
      > hotmail box scans for viruses and the second can be opened but
      warns
      > you that your computer will close if you do proceed.
      >
      > Hope no-one here receives it but thought I'd warn you all in
      > case.There are some sick b******s out there!!!
      >
      > Elaine
      >
      > PS I thought it was genuine at first(naive that i am!) so i sent a
      > reply asking for a virus free copy.Guess what? the postmaster at
      > hotmail returned it cos the e-mail address doesn't exist.The
      address
      > was walpolefleetwood@n...
    • henry_tea_pot
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2002
        According to recent reports, the virus-geeks have figured out yet
        another way to vomit their filth onto everyone's computer by
        infecting files that were once thought to be virus-proof such as
        picture files and text files.

        Apparently, one of the dregs of the techno-world has stayed up late
        scheming a method to infect these files. Please make sure to inspect
        all incoming emails and downloads from the Internet with a virus
        scanner and firewall. There are many third party products that do
        quite well at protecting computers from attacks, but it is difficult
        to keep up with individuals determined to be destructive. Keep your
        virus software updated and always be cautious when receiving emails
        from unknown individuals.

        Individuals who engage in the development and propagation of viruses
        are the banal scum of the software world.

        --- In hardofhearinguk@y..., "ma_theresauk" <ma.theresa@b...> wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > Just an addition to Elaines warning:
        >
        > There are some sick virus makers out there - there's all some sick
        > hoaxers too! Virus protection is a must these days unless you want
        > catch summit nasty! Never open any attachments if you're unsure of
        > the sender.

      • ma_theresauk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2002
          Could not have put it better myself Henry.

          I have just had a personal reply from MSN (sounds like they have
          improved their help service). I will post the full retails in the
          files section of this group.

          Briefly; this has been a learning experience for me. I now realise
          that the hotmail addresses that the e-mail/viruses are coming from
          are infact victims themself and not the perpertrators of the
          dastardly deeds!

          I have replied to MSN asking if the only course of action is to keep
          virus protection up to date and just keep deleting the e-mails until
          they go away?

          I will let you all know of their response.

          Regards

          Maria