Re: Petition to introduce the teaching of BSL in all UK schools - Join up NOW!

  • jezjezuk
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1, 2007
      I support this petition because I feel that its a good move to introduce BSL teaching in all
      schools in the UK. There is plenty of demand from hearing and HoH people now and
      courses are oversubscribed.

      My own BSL level 2 course has 3 deaf/HoH adults and 3 hearing 6th formers and 2 parents
      of deaf children, among its students, not bad in a class of 16 students. The rest are
      teachers, headteachers, careworkers etc.

      BUT Schoolchildren under compulsory school leaving age are not allowed to join the
      courses. So where can they learn????

      It is mandatory for the schools to provide a language option - well this option could be
      French, German, Welsh or BSL.

      There is no way it excludes us, I think it includes us as most HoH and partially deaf use
      BSL in their conversations. It makes life a bit easier for us!!

      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Mellow Meldrew" <melowmeldrew@...>
      wrote:

      > Personally I think these people have a cheek asking Hearing impaired,
      > deaf and aid users to support a mode that excludes them ! Why not
      > instead set up your OWN petition for what YOU require, because the BS
      > users is NOT going to do anything for you. Here's the Link
      > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/steps
      >
      > AKA:
      >
      > We the Hearing Impaired wish to petition the government to include REAL
      > awareness of the widest possible access requirements of all people with
      > a hearing loss, via the educational curriculum, as we feel just
      > supporting one mode amounts to exclusion, and is unhelpful.
      >
      > Don't ask you don't get. I say NO to signing this BSL Petition, not
      > because of anti-sign views but it is basically anti-inclusive of us.
      > Finally (!) because it is UNWORKABLE, the means to do this do not exist.
      >
      > MM
      >
      > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "badreddine5902" <lebziz@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Everyone,
      > >
      > > Join the petition to introduce the teaching of BSL in all UK Schools.
      > >
      > > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SignLanguage/
      > >
      > > It's easy to do. Just follow the instructions giving your name,
      > email and address. Your
      > > email and address will be kept confidential. Your name will be
      > added to the list of others.
      > > Deadline to sign up by: 21 February 2007 ˆ Please pass this on to as
      > many people as you
      > > can!
      > >
      > > Cheers

    • Rosie
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 19, 2007
        Ok then.

        From: "Rosie Smith"
        To: hardofhearinguk@...
        Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:41:14 +0000

        Is there any way this could be "advertised" on Smoke Signals? I'm
        sure a
        few of the members there might be interested. It's fine if not, was
        just
        something that occurred to me right now.

        Rosie