Re: Radio 4 tomorrow night .

  • Mellow Meldrew
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
      Don't forget to give us a wave :)

      MM

      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Saffron" <saffron68@...>
      wrote:

      > Saffron shyly says "yes, it is", LOL. I have no idea how I'm going
      > come across and I can hardly remember what I said, as I was
      interviewed
      > ages ago, but hopefully it will be OK, LOL. Good to hear that there
      > will be a transcript on the website. If not, I should get one in
      the
      > post, so if anyone is interested in the topic and would like the
      > transcript, please let me know (oops, I hope that's ok with the
      BBC!).

      > Thanks for letting us know about the programme Mazza... plus, I
      thought
      > it was next week, so I would have missed it, had it not been for
      you (
      > may not hear anything, but at least hubby will be able to listen)!
      >
      > Saffron
      >
      > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mazza_1961" <mazza21@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > This might be of interest to those that can listen on the radio.
      > >
      > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/0ulb9/
      > >
      > > I think there will be a transcript on the radio4 website after.
      > >
      > > Is this the one you are in Saff?
      > >
      > > Mazza

    • mazza_1961
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
        Oooh wonder if MM is on it too lmao.

        Mazza

        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Mellow Meldrew"
        <melowmeldrew@...> wrote:

        > Don't forget to give us a wave :)
        >
        > MM
        >

        > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Saffron" <saffron68@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Saffron shyly says "yes, it is", LOL. I have no idea how I'm
        going
        > > come across and I can hardly remember what I said, as I was
        > interviewed
        > > ages ago, but hopefully it will be OK, LOL. Good to hear that
        there
        > > will be a transcript on the website. If not, I should get one in
        > the
        > > post, so if anyone is interested in the topic and would like the
        > > transcript, please let me know (oops, I hope that's ok with the
        > BBC!).
        > >
        > > Thanks for letting us know about the programme Mazza... plus, I
        > thought
        > > it was next week, so I would have missed it, had it not been for
        > you (
        > > may not hear anything, but at least hubby will be able to
        listen)!

        > > Saffron
        > >
        > > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mazza_1961"
        <mazza21@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > This might be of interest to those that can listen on the
        radio.

        > > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/0ulb9/
        > > >
        > > > I think there will be a transcript on the radio4 website after.
        > > >
        > > > Is this the one you are in Saff?
        > > >
        > > > Mazza

      • Mellow Meldrew
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
          Best of Luck an all that, ignore this ....
          http://www.grumpyoldeafies.com/2007/03/learning_to_be_deaf_bbc_radio.h
          tml

          Grrrrrrr......

          MM

          wrote:

          > Oooh wonder if MM is on it too lmao.
          >
          > Mazza
          >
          > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Mellow Meldrew"
          > <melowmeldrew@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Don't forget to give us a wave :)
          > >
          > > MM
          > >

          > > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Saffron" <saffron68@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Saffron shyly says "yes, it is", LOL. I have no idea how I'm
          > going
          > > > come across and I can hardly remember what I said, as I was
          > > interviewed
          > > > ages ago, but hopefully it will be OK, LOL. Good to hear that
          > there
          > > > will be a transcript on the website. If not, I should get one
          in
          > > the
          > > > post, so if anyone is interested in the topic and would like
          the
          > > > transcript, please let me know (oops, I hope that's ok with the
          > > BBC!).
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for letting us know about the programme Mazza... plus, I
          > > thought
          > > > it was next week, so I would have missed it, had it not been
          for
          > > you (
          > > > may not hear anything, but at least hubby will be able to
          > listen)!
          > > >
          > > > Saffron
          > > >
          > > > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mazza_1961"
          > <mazza21@>

          > radio.

        • darren thorman
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
            Hey Saffron - were you renamed to protect your identity? seen the transcript and listening as i type and you're not named and i dont think i've heard your voice. it will be a shame if you werent included.

            As for the programme, esther sounds like a man (!) - i personally think its all rather too over dramatic in how he describes experiences on his road journey its like its something terrible he/she's exploring, i didnt like the "alien" world reference, BSL is advocated far too much and i got quite depressed from being reminded of the harsh realities of deafness when they couldve thrown a little positiveness in. i feel like emailing him/her from my bbc workstation to say that!

            however, there some good points and the summary is good.

            there you go my review!

            i'm sure other people will have something to say!

            Saffron shyly says "yes, it is", LOL. I have no idea how I'm going to

            wrote:

            > This might be of interest to those that can listen on the radio.
            >
            > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/0ulb9/
            >
            > I think there will be a transcript on the radio4 website after.
            >
            > Is this the one you are in Saff?
            >
            > Mazza

          • Ian
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
              The reason you didn't see Saffron's name is that her real name is
              Isabelle, it's Saffron that is the 'Nom de Plume'. (Sorry if I've
              let the cat out of the bag Saff!)
              I've just read the transcript, and it makes very depressing reading.
              It seems to me that the gulf is as wide and unbridgeable as it's
              ever been. In this day and age, things should have moved on but
              sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. Where do we go from here?
              Ian C.

              --- In hardofhearinguk@..., darren thorman
              <blazinghotfire@...> wrote:

              > Hey Saffron - were you renamed to protect your identity? seen the
              transcript and listening as i type and you're not named and i dont
              think i've heard your voice. it will be a shame if you werent
              included.

              > As for the programme, esther sounds like a man (!) - i
              personally think its all rather too over dramatic in how he
              describes experiences on his road journey its like its something
              terrible he/she's exploring, i didnt like the "alien" world
              reference, BSL is advocated far too much and i got quite depressed
              from being reminded of the harsh realities of deafness when they
              couldve thrown a little positiveness in. i feel like emailing
              him/her from my bbc workstation to say that!

              > however, there some good points and the summary is good.
              >
              > there you go my review!
              >
              > i'm sure other people will have something to say!
              >

              > Saffron <saffron68@...> wrote:
              > Saffron shyly says "yes, it is", LOL. I have no idea how
              I'm going to
              > come across and I can hardly remember what I said, as I was
              interviewed
              > ages ago, but hopefully it will be OK, LOL. Good to hear that
              there
              > will be a transcript on the website. If not, I should get one in
              the
              > post, so if anyone is interested in the topic and would like the
              > transcript, please let me know (oops, I hope that's ok with the
              BBC!).

              > Thanks for letting us know about the programme Mazza... plus, I
              thought
              > it was next week, so I would have missed it, had it not been for
              you (
              > may not hear anything, but at least hubby will be able to listen)!
              >
              > Saffron
              >
              > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mazza_1961" <mazza21@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > This might be of interest to those that can listen on the radio.
              > >
              > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/0ulb9/
              > >
              > > I think there will be a transcript on the radio4 website after.
              > >
              > > Is this the one you are in Saff?
              > >
              > > Mazza

            • Steve Wright
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
                As well as the programme and the transcript, there is also an article about
                it on the BBC News Health website here

                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6407423.stm

                Steve

                On 01/03/07, Ian <ian.clifford.s3@...> wrote:

                > The reason you didn't see Saffron's name is that her real name is
                > Isabelle, it's Saffron that is the 'Nom de Plume'. (Sorry if I've
                > let the cat out of the bag Saff!)
                > I've just read the transcript, and it makes very depressing reading.
                > It seems to me that the gulf is as wide and unbridgeable as it's
                > ever been. In this day and age, things should have moved on but
                > sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. Where do we go from here?
                > Ian C.
                >
                > --- In hardofhearinguk@...<hardofhearinguk%40yahoogroups.co.uk>,
                > darren thorman
                > <blazinghotfire@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey Saffron - were you renamed to protect your identity? seen the
                > transcript and listening as i type and you're not named and i dont
                > think i've heard your voice. it will be a shame if you werent
                > included.
                > >
                > > As for the programme, esther sounds like a man (!) - i
                > personally think its all rather too over dramatic in how he
                > describes experiences on his road journey its like its something
                > terrible he/she's exploring, i didnt like the "alien" world
                > reference, BSL is advocated far too much and i got quite depressed
                > from being reminded of the harsh realities of deafness when they
                > couldve thrown a little positiveness in. i feel like emailing
                > him/her from my bbc workstation to say that!
                > >
                > > however, there some good points and the summary is good.
                > >
                > > there you go my review!
                > >
                > > i'm sure other people will have something to say!
                > >

                > > Saffron <saffron68@...> wrote:
                > > Saffron shyly says "yes, it is", LOL. I have no idea how
                > I'm going to
                > > come across and I can hardly remember what I said, as I was
                > interviewed
                > > ages ago, but hopefully it will be OK, LOL. Good to hear that
                > there
                > > will be a transcript on the website. If not, I should get one in
                > the
                > > post, so if anyone is interested in the topic and would like the
                > > transcript, please let me know (oops, I hope that's ok with the
                > BBC!).
                > >
                > > Thanks for letting us know about the programme Mazza... plus, I
                > thought
                > > it was next week, so I would have missed it, had it not been for
                > you (
                > > may not hear anything, but at least hubby will be able to listen)!
                > >
                > > Saffron
                > >
                > > --- In hardofhearinguk@...<hardofhearinguk%40yahoogroups.co.uk>,
                > "mazza_1961" <mazza21@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > This might be of interest to those that can listen on the radio.
                > > >
                > > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/0ulb9/
                > > >
                > > > I think there will be a transcript on the radio4 website after.
                > > >
                > > > Is this the one you are in Saff?
                > > >
                > > > Mazza

              • Saffron
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Saffron is not my "nom de plume", but a proper nickname, that
                  happened naturally. Half of my friends in real life call me Saffron,
                  Saffy or Saff, LOL.

                  Saffron

                  --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Ian" <ian.clifford.s3@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The reason you didn't see Saffron's name is that her real name is
                  > Isabelle, it's Saffron that is the 'Nom de Plume'. (Sorry if I've
                  > let the cat out of the bag Saff!)
                  > I've just read the transcript, and it makes very depressing
                  reading.
                  > It seems to me that the gulf is as wide and unbridgeable as it's
                  > ever been. In this day and age, things should have moved on but
                  > sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. Where do we go from here?
                  > Ian C.
                  >

                  > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., darren thorman
                  > <blazinghotfire@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey Saffron - were you renamed to protect your identity? seen the
                  > transcript and listening as i type and you're not named and i dont
                  > think i've heard your voice. it will be a shame if you werent
                  > included.
                  > >
                  > > As for the programme, esther sounds like a man (!) - i
                  > personally think its all rather too over dramatic in how he
                  > describes experiences on his road journey its like its something
                  > terrible he/she's exploring, i didnt like the "alien" world
                  > reference, BSL is advocated far too much and i got quite depressed
                  > from being reminded of the harsh realities of deafness when they
                  > couldve thrown a little positiveness in. i feel like emailing
                  > him/her from my bbc workstation to say that!
                  > >
                  > > however, there some good points and the summary is good.
                  > >
                  > > there you go my review!
                  > >
                  > > i'm sure other people will have something to say!
                  > >

                  > > Saffron <saffron68@> wrote:
                  > > Saffron shyly says "yes, it is", LOL. I have no idea
                  how
                  > I'm going to
                  > > come across and I can hardly remember what I said, as I was
                  > interviewed
                  > > ages ago, but hopefully it will be OK, LOL. Good to hear that
                  > there
                  > > will be a transcript on the website. If not, I should get one in
                  > the
                  > > post, so if anyone is interested in the topic and would like the
                  > > transcript, please let me know (oops, I hope that's ok with the
                  > BBC!).
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for letting us know about the programme Mazza... plus, I
                  > thought
                  > > it was next week, so I would have missed it, had it not been for
                  > you (
                  > > may not hear anything, but at least hubby will be able to listen)!
                  > >
                  > > Saffron
                  > >
                  > > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "mazza_1961" <mazza21@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > This might be of interest to those that can listen on the radio.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/0ulb9/
                  > > >
                  > > > I think there will be a transcript on the radio4 website after.
                  > > >
                  > > > Is this the one you are in Saff?
                  > > >
                  > > > Mazza

                • Ian
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007
                    That put me in my place, didn't it?
                    Oops!

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > come across and I can hardly remember what I said, as I was
                    > > interviewed
                    > > > ages ago, but hopefully it will be OK, LOL. Good to hear that
                    > > there
                    > > > will be a transcript on the website. If not, I should get one
                    in
                    > > the
                    > > > post, so if anyone is interested in the topic and would like
                    the
                    > > > transcript, please let me know (oops, I hope that's ok with
                    the
                    > > BBC!).
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks for letting us know about the programme Mazza... plus,
                    > > thought
                    > > > it was next week, so I would have missed it, had it not been
                    for
                    > > you (
                    > > > may not hear anything, but at least hubby will be able to

                  • darren thorman
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
                      hey saffron
                      so the penny drops!

                      how did Saffron become your nickname? mine are based around my name

                      well done on the radio interview you made some great points :)

                      ian - there's a part of me thinking there will always be gaps that might never get filled - the debate will always rage on whether its about people with hearing aids being accepted by the Deaf community or BSL recognition or the right way to educate deaf children or cochlear implants or what support should be offered etc etc