HOH and how it affects your everyday life !

  • talli915
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
      I am interested in finding out of being hard of hearing affects
      peoples everyday lifes, mainly their jobs, do you explain to everyone
      about your hearing or keep it quiet ? I myself have kept my hearing
      quiet ( no pun intended ) for over 13 years !!

      Thank you for the replies
    • Fintan Gaughan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
        I might be wrong but isn't that breaking the law depending on what job
        you might be

        Fintan

        --

        My Blog http://www.finllfixit.co.uk/

        On 01/06/07, talli915 <talli915@...> wrote:
        > I am interested in finding out of being hard of hearing affects
        > peoples everyday lifes, mainly their jobs, do you explain to everyone
        > about your hearing or keep it quiet ? I myself have kept my hearing
        > quiet ( no pun intended ) for over 13 years !
        >
        > Thank you for the replies

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Arwen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
          Armed forces, pilots etc yes definitely.

          Think most other jobs it is up to you whether or not you wish to disclose.

          When I was younger I rarely told anyone that I was deaf, however I gradually learned that it is better to make them aware. Rather them know I'm deaf than simply think I'm rude or stupid. Also you will have access to more support, particularly in terms of employment.

          In any case, there will always be a situation at some point where you struggle or miss something altogether, and people will most likely realise you are deaf then anyway.

          Fintan Gaughan <fgaughan@...> wrote:
          I might be wrong but isn't that breaking the law depending on what job
          you might be

          Fintan

          --

          My Blog http://www.finllfixit.co.uk/

          On 01/06/07, talli915 <talli915@...> wrote:
          > I am interested in finding out of being hard of hearing affects
          > peoples everyday lifes, mainly their jobs, do you explain to everyone
          > about your hearing or keep it quiet ? I myself have kept my hearing
          > quiet ( no pun intended ) for over 13 years !
          >
          > Thank you for the replies

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • talli915
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
            yes I understand that. I agree with you on the job such as police and
            pilot etc etc

            --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "talli915" <talli915@...>
            wrote:

            > I am interested in finding out of being hard of hearing affects
            > peoples everyday lifes, mainly their jobs, do you explain to
            everyone
            > about your hearing or keep it quiet ? I myself have kept my hearing
            > quiet ( no pun intended ) for over 13 years !!
            >
            > Thank you for the replies

          • jezjezuk
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
              I have just started a new job as Manager - Im leading a team of staff. I told my line manager to tell everyone that I was deaf. I didnt care how he did it as long as he got the message across!! So far Iv not had any problems (cept when one person asked me to answer the phone - he forgot for a moment!!) Another place that I started at nearly 20 years ago the line manager sent out a memo round the whole company, over 1000 staff!! This saves a hell of a lot of problems later on!! --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "talli915" <talli915@...> wrote: > > I am interested in finding out of being hard of hearing affects > peoples everyday lifes, mainly their jobs, do you explain to everyone > about your hearing or keep it quiet ? I myself have kept my hearing > quiet ( no pun intended ) for over 13 years !! > > Thank you for the replies >