Phone scam (received from Mazz - thanks!)

  • ma_theresauk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      FW: Warning on Phone scam

      I know that most of will think "if only we were likely to be sitting
      down at home" but I wouldn't like this to happen to me so....

      Police Report

      The reason this is working so well is it plays on your good will!
      Picture the scene:-

      You are sitting at home and there is a knock at the door. On
      answering it you are confronted by a respectable looking woman in a
      suit, who is lightly distressed. She explains that her car has broken
      down further down the road and she needs to contact her husband to
      come to her aid. Is it at all possible to use your phone to call him?
      You allow her to use the phone, but being the suspicious type you
      stand with her as she makes the call. She dials the number, and asks
      to be put through to Mr Smith / Brown / Stevens (Whatever). She holds
      the line for about thirty seconds. She continues, "In that case can
      you ask him to leave the meeting for a minute I need to speak to him
      quite urgently." She apologies again and explains they are getting
      him out of a meeting. A couple of minutes goes by and she starts to
      speak to her husband. She explains the situation to him, tells him
      what has happened to the car, is
      annoyed because she now can't get to her meeting, and asks what she
      should do now. She listens for a few seconds and then says, "Well as
      soon as the meeting finishes can you come to Cardiff Road / Leicester
      Road / Surrey Street (Whatever), where the car has broken down.
      Another few seconds go by, "OK, I'll see you in about twenty minutes
      then." She puts the phone down, and thanks you ever so much for your
      kind assistance, even offering you a pound for your trouble, but of
      course you decline, it's no trouble. She leaves and everything is
      fine. Or is it?

      The day or week before knocking on your door she set up her own
      premium rate line with a telephone company at the cost of about £150,
      and she has dictated that calls to that number should be charged at
      £50 per minute. She has dialled that number. The conversation she has
      had with her "husband" is entirely fictitious; there is a pre-
      recorded voice message on the other end to give you the impression
      she is talking to someone. She has been on the phone for about five
      minutes, that call just cost you £250, the majority of which goes
      into her pocket, and the first you know about it is when you get your
      bill a month later.

      To rub a bit of salt into the wound, she hasn't even committed a
      criminal offence. You've given her permission to use your phone. 5
      occasions in Luton where this has been reported in the last couple
      of weeks. Would anyone reading this please pass it on to friends and
      colleagues etc. otherwise it could cost someone a lot of money.