Re: Hi Sarah

  • mazza_1961
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hi Sarah, Welcome to this group.
      Hopefully you are feeling the benefit of your aids now. Yes must be a
      shock at first. I grew up hoh in both ears but only had one hearing
      aid till the age of about 26 and then only wore that one occassionally
      as didnt find it helped. After getting 2 aids, wow the increase in
      noise was a complete shock to me and took a while to get use to. Now
      wear 2 digital aids practically all the time Im out of the house (tend
      to leave them out when indoors or just wear one to quieten the dreaded
      Tinnitus).

      Anyway, this group seems very quiet at the moment. Sometimes it picks
      up. Maybe everyone is watching tennis lol.
      There is no chat room facility on here and I dont know of any hoh or
      deaf chatroom sites now, but there are numerous forums, most which are
      in our links section on the left hand side of this group page.

      Also hopefully some more members will post here to chat with you.

      Regards

      Mazza

      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "ciaosarah1881"
      <ciaosarah1881@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I'm new to this. I was given my 1st hearing aid about 6 yrs ago &
      > received my 2nd aid this year. Both times came as a big shock,
      > especially the 1st time, as I was basically told by a Dr years
      before,
      > that there was NOTHING wrong with my hearing!! My hearing has been
      > deteriorating since that 1st check. Although I have only slight
      hearing
      > loss at high frequency, I'm still trying to get my head around it
      all &
      > wonder what the future holds. I've been looking for people to chat
      > with, about being HoH for months now. Would be grateful to hear from
      > anyone with advice. Thanks.

    • Saffron
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 3, 2009
        Hi Rob,

        Like you, I ve had difficult with digitals. I d been wearing GN Resound (Danalogic 283D) which helped, but as my hearing has got worse and my audiologist said these were quite old now, she suggested I tried new ones. I m having the same difficulty I had a few years ago, to adjust to other digitals. I tried some Siemens (cant remember what the model was) and they were horrible for me (but apparently great for other people). Now, I m trying Phonak Naida, which I feel I may be able to get used to. Already, on the phone, they re much better. In some noisy situations, I can hear speech better too, but in quiet situations, sound is really weird and I dont hear as well. With the Siemens, I thought I could never get used to programmes changing automatically and it made me feel dizzy. However, with these, the change is much smoother and although it can be confusing, I think I could get used to them.

        My own feeling, from experience of trying several digitals, is, if the sound is really horrible to start with and you re struggling to understand anything with them, it s unlikely that they are the right ones, even after a few weeks or wearing them to get used to them. If however, it sounds a bit strange but you can hear quite a lot with them, you probably should persevere to get used to them and with a bit of fine tuning, they probably will be right for you. Having said that, everyone s experiences are different.

        Good luck with finding the right ones for you.

        Saffron

        PS: The Bicros are not a model I have tried.