Re: deaf or hard of hearing badges

  • Gareth Foulkes
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
      I can see the benefit of such badges but I'd cringe if I had to wear
      one myself. I guess I'd feel a bit goofy wearing one but my hearing
      aids are obvious anyway - red and blue moulds combined with shaved
      short hair.

      A bigger problem is when I go cycling. How do I tell those
      inconsiderate motorists to keep their distance without having big
      goofy letters spelling out DEAF! on the back of my flourescent jacket?
      Perhaps I should have POLITE! printed in police blue instead.

      T'ra

      --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Sarah" <ciaosarah1881@...>
      wrote:

      > Since I have been wearing H.A.'s a friend gave me a badge which
      > states 'I may need to lipread'...'deaf or hard of hearing' with a
      logo
      > on it. I have found it helps with my anxiety, especially when I have
      > repeat myself! I wonder if I could please recommend their website so
      > others can benefit from this badges? (If so, it's
      > www.summersense.co.uk) If so, Thanks! Sarah x

    • darren thorman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
        hi Gareth
        hows things with you?
        have to say that if hearing aids isnt visual enough then we're in trouble - its not like they're earrings!
        its just a shame that it also takes a badge for a hearing person to actually pay attention and not assume that everyone is like them.

        --- In hardofhearinguk@ yahoogroups. co.uk, "Sarah" <ciaosarah1881@ ...>
        wrote:

        > Since I have been wearing H.A.'s a friend gave me a badge which
        > states 'I may need to lipread'...' deaf or hard of hearing' with a
        logo
        > on it. I have found it helps with my anxiety, especially when I have
        > repeat myself! I wonder if I could please recommend their website so
        > others can benefit from this badges? (If so, it's
        > www.summersense. co.uk) If so, Thanks! Sarah x

      • Sarah
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
          Hi Gareth, yes I understand what you are saying (re-badges) except
          for goofy? I've just started a new job in a shop & I'm in 2 minds as
          to whether or not I should wear it at work. So far, I've decided not
          to, as I feel it draws attention to the negative...(someone could
          take advantage of the fact I'm HoH)But on the other hand, if a
          customer speaks to me & I don't hear them & I'm wearing a
          badge...they'll see that I'm not ignorant, I just don't hear!
          I totally understand about the inconsiderate drivers - my daughter
          has had a few 'near misses' (despite wearing a flourescent vest)due
          to drivers just not looking in her direction & pulling straight out
          in front of her!
          I love your idea of the flourescent jacket with POLITE printed on
          it!! lol
          Sarah
          --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Gareth Foulkes"
          <garethfoulkes.home@...> wrote:

          > I can see the benefit of such badges but I'd cringe if I had to
          wear
          > one myself. I guess I'd feel a bit goofy wearing one but my hearing
          > aids are obvious anyway - red and blue moulds combined with shaved
          > short hair.
          >
          > A bigger problem is when I go cycling. How do I tell those
          > inconsiderate motorists to keep their distance without having big
          > goofy letters spelling out DEAF! on the back of my flourescent
          jacket?
          > Perhaps I should have POLITE! printed in police blue instead.
          >
          > T'ra

          > --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "Sarah" <ciaosarah1881@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Since I have been wearing H.A.'s a friend gave me a badge which
          > > states 'I may need to lipread'...'deaf or hard of hearing' with a
          > logo
          > > on it. I have found it helps with my anxiety, especially when I
          have
          > > repeat myself! I wonder if I could please recommend their website
          so
          > > others can benefit from this badges? (If so, it's
          > > www.summersense.co.uk) If so, Thanks! Sarah x

        • Boo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
            I wear a badge which I had made myself at a local badge makers.... it
            is lilac, very pretty, has a "thumbs up" symbol and says "I lipread
            and use sign language". Much better, I think, than a "DEAF" badge.
            Promotes conversation too; people generally ask my why I lipread.
            When I explain that I'm deaf and use sign language, as the badge
            says, they seem genuinely interested!

            The badge cost around £4 and is well worth every penny.

            Boo

            <ciaosarah1881@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Since I have been wearing H.A.'s a friend gave me a badge which
            > > > states 'I may need to lipread'...'deaf or hard of hearing' with
            > > logo
            > > > on it. I have found it helps with my anxiety, especially when I
            > have
            > > > repeat myself! I wonder if I could please recommend their
            website
            > so
            > > > others can benefit from this badges? (If so, it's
            > > > www.summersense.co.uk) If so, Thanks! Sarah x

          • Olukayode Ajala
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
              Hi
              ben such a long time, so hi fils pinky and everyone
              on the badgey issue its a kindoff no win sitaution isnt it
              but wht about those who dont sign of course lipread wht do thy have inscribed and how big are thse imprints on vests  blind pple have the stick so deaf do need something

              enjoyin euro?? adopt spin or holland for the final

              mr k