Celebrity Big Brother

  • mazza_1961
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2010
      Happy New Year to you all :D

      Will be watching celebrity big brother this year as Stephanie Beacham is on it. She is deaf, so should be interesting to see how she copes in the house with so many people. How will the others treat her. Will she teach them deaf awareness.

      Looks like she is the first deafie to enter the house, though some others have tried lol.

      Mazza
    • andrew arthur
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2010
        Happy New Year!

        She comes from Barnet.

        --
        Andy

      • Sandra Duguid
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2010
          Happy New Year 2010!

          Hello everyone,

          She is not deaf, she is hard of hearing.

          Sandra

          To: hardofhearinguk@...

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
            Hi Sandra,
            According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanie_Beacham she is completely deaf in one ear. Still a lot to contend with in a open plan house with 10 other people. Ok she has some hearing in the other ear and maybe wears a hearing aid (Im not sure about that one).

            Mazza
            --- In hardofhearinguk@..., Sandra Duguid <bslworks@...> wrote:

            > Happy New Year 2010!
            >

            > Hello everyone,
            >

            > She is not deaf, she is hard of hearing.
            >
            > Sandra
            >

            > To: hardofhearinguk@...
            > From: mazza21@...
            > Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:33:32 +0000
            > Subject: [Hard of Hearing UK] Celebrity Big Brother
            >

            > Happy New Year to you all :D
            >
            > Will be watching celebrity big brother this year as Stephanie Beacham is on it. She is deaf, so should be interesting to see how she copes in the house with so many people. How will the others treat her. Will she teach them deaf awareness.
            >
            > Looks like she is the first deafie to enter the house, though some others have tried lol.
            >
            > Mazza

          • lidia best
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
              I was totally deaf in one ear for 30 years and used hearing aid in the other.
              BB will not be that big challenge for her.
              only she might miss some tannoys.
              The house mates can repeat what was said.
              Everybody knows she can't hear as a hearing person.

              Lidia

              According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanie_Beacham she is completely deaf in one ear. Still a lot to contend with in a open plan house with 10 other people. Ok she has some hearing in the other ear and maybe wears a hearing aid (Im not sure about that one).

              Mazza
              --- In hardofhearinguk@..., Sandra Duguid <bslworks@...> wrote:

              > Happy New Year 2010!
              >

              > Hello everyone,
              >

              > She is not deaf, she is hard of hearing.
              >
              > Sandra
              >

              > To: hardofhearinguk@...
              > From: mazza21@...
              > Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:33:32 +0000
              > Subject: [Hard of Hearing UK] Celebrity Big Brother
              >

              > Happy New Year to you all :D
              >
              > Will be watching celebrity big brother this year as Stephanie Beacham is on it. She is deaf, so should be interesting to see how she copes in the house with so many people. How will the others treat her. Will she teach them deaf awareness.
              >
              > Looks like she is the first deafie to enter the house, though some others have tried lol.
              >
              > Mazza

            • andrew arthur
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                I would like to see them pick on her. I want to see them ganging up on her
                and saying things behind her back and all the other hateful things that
                hearing people do to deaf people in competitive situations. Then perhaps the
                public will understand what we all have to put up with. I'm not going to
                feel sorry for her ... cos she gets paid more than me!
                It's highly unlikely that I will watch it because without subtitles it's
                about as interesting as watching goldfish in a bowl... maybe a slight win
                for the goldfish in fact...

                2010/1/4 lidia best <lidiabestcouture@...>

                > I was totally deaf in one ear for 30 years and used hearing aid in the
                > other.
                > BB will not be that big challenge for her.
                > only she might miss some tannoys.
                > The house mates can repeat what was said.
                > Everybody knows she can't hear as a hearing person.
                >
                > Lidia

                Andy

              • mazza_1961
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Yeah I agree with you there Andy. I will just watch the edited highlights which I hope will be subtitled.

                  I wonder if everyone in the house do know if she is hoh/deaf and if they do know, will they remember to face her when they speak and to use clear lip patterns etc.

                  I know in my everyday life people that have known me all my life still forget sometimes and put hands, coffee cup in front of their mouth, look away when pointing to something and say look at that and Im like er you have to look at me when you speak. My mums the worst grrrr (tried my best to educate her etc but she still forgets).

                  Mazza
                  --- In hardofhearinguk@..., andrew arthur <andrew.arthur@...> wrote:

                  > I would like to see them pick on her. I want to see them ganging up on her
                  > and saying things behind her back and all the other hateful things that
                  > hearing people do to deaf people in competitive situations. Then perhaps the
                  > public will understand what we all have to put up with. I'm not going to
                  > feel sorry for her ... cos she gets paid more than me!
                  > It's highly unlikely that I will watch it because without subtitles it's
                  > about as interesting as watching goldfish in a bowl... maybe a slight win
                  > for the goldfish in fact...
                  >
                  > 2010/1/4 lidia best <lidiabestcouture@...>
                  >

                  > > I was totally deaf in one ear for 30 years and used hearing aid in the
                  > > other.
                  > > BB will not be that big challenge for her.
                  > > only she might miss some tannoys.
                  > > The house mates can repeat what was said.
                  > > Everybody knows she can't hear as a hearing person.
                  > >
                  > > Lidia

                • andrew arthur
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Well that's what I was wondering. The hearing people will realise that they
                    have power over her by withholding those aids. They will be able to cut her
                    off.

                    2010/1/4 mazza_1961 <mazza21@...>

                    > Yeah I agree with you there Andy. I will just watch the edited highlights
                    > which I hope will be subtitled.
                    >
                    > I wonder if everyone in the house do know if she is hoh/deaf and if they do
                    > know, will they remember to face her when they speak and to use clear lip
                    > patterns etc.
                    >
                    > I know in my everyday life people that have known me all my life still
                    > forget sometimes and put hands, coffee cup in front of their mouth, look
                    > away when pointing to something and say look at that and Im like er you have
                    > to look at me when you speak. My mums the worst grrrr (tried my best to
                    > educate her etc but she still forgets).
                    >
                    > Mazza
                    > --- In hardofhearinguk@...<hardofhearinguk%40yahoogroups.co.uk>,
                    > andrew arthur <andrew.arthur@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I would like to see them pick on her. I want to see them ganging up on
                    > her
                    > > and saying things behind her back and all the other hateful things that
                    > > hearing people do to deaf people in competitive situations. Then perhaps
                    > the
                    > > public will understand what we all have to put up with. I'm not going to
                    > > feel sorry for her ... cos she gets paid more than me!
                    > > It's highly unlikely that I will watch it because without subtitles it's
                    > > about as interesting as watching goldfish in a bowl... maybe a slight win
                    > > for the goldfish in fact...
                    > >
                    > > 2010/1/4 lidia best <lidiabestcouture@...>
                    >

                    > > > I was totally deaf in one ear for 30 years and used hearing aid in the
                    > > > other.
                    > > > BB will not be that big challenge for her.
                    > > > only she might miss some tannoys.
                    > > > The house mates can repeat what was said.
                    > > > Everybody knows she can't hear as a hearing person.
                    > > >
                    > > > Lidia

                    Andy

                  • lidia best
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                      Depends, she is an actress remember?
                      She must have dealt with it many times.
                      Lidia

                      > Well that's what I was wondering. The hearing people will realise that
                      > they
                      > have power over her by withholding those aids. They will be able to cut
                      > her
                      > off.
                      >
                      > 2010/1/4 mazza_1961 <mazza21@...>
                      >

                      >> Yeah I agree with you there Andy. I will just watch the edited highlights
                      >> which I hope will be subtitled.
                      >>
                      >> I wonder if everyone in the house do know if she is hoh/deaf and if they
                      >> do
                      >> know, will they remember to face her when they speak and to use clear lip
                      >> patterns etc.
                      >>
                      >> I know in my everyday life people that have known me all my life still
                      >> forget sometimes and put hands, coffee cup in front of their mouth, look
                      >> away when pointing to something and say look at that and Im like er you
                      >> have
                      >> to look at me when you speak. My mums the worst grrrr (tried my best to
                      >> educate her etc but she still forgets).
                      >>
                      >> Mazza
                      >> --- In
                      >> hardofhearinguk@...<hardofhearinguk%40yahoogroups.co.uk>,
                      >> andrew arthur <andrew.arthur@...> wrote:
                      >> >
                      >> > I would like to see them pick on her. I want to see them ganging up on
                      >> her
                      >> > and saying things behind her back and all the other hateful things that
                      >> > hearing people do to deaf people in competitive situations. Then
                      >> > perhaps
                      >> the
                      >> > public will understand what we all have to put up with. I'm not going
                      >> > feel sorry for her ... cos she gets paid more than me!
                      >> > It's highly unlikely that I will watch it because without subtitles
                      >> > it's
                      >> > about as interesting as watching goldfish in a bowl... maybe a slight
                      >> > win
                      >> > for the goldfish in fact...

                    • mazza_1961
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                        We have all had to deal with it many times but I personally dont find it any easier now compared to when I was younger. But Im good at looking as if Im coping so Im told!

                        Here is an essay that a friend wrote about Single Sided Deafness. Very interesting reading.

                        http://tribalvillages.org/deaf/single-sided-deafness.html

                        Mazza

                        --- In hardofhearinguk@..., "lidia best" <lidiabestcouture@...> wrote:

                        > Depends, she is an actress remember?
                        > She must have dealt with it many times.
                        > Lidia

                      • Olukayode Ajala
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                          maybe it also depends on degree of loss and how helpful her aids are; a pem footbaler am told is deaf in one er-is itd arren bent of sunderland??

                          butyes an actress is a pro ,so maybe has been coached????
                          mr k

                          > Well that's what I was wondering. The hearing people will realise that
                          > they
                          > have power over her by withholding those aids. They will be able to cut
                          > her
                          > off.
                          >
                          > 2010/1/4 mazza_1961 <mazza21@gmail. com>
                          >

                          >> Yeah I agree with you there Andy. I will just watch the edited highlights
                          >> which I hope will be subtitled.
                          >>
                          >> I wonder if everyone in the house do know if she is hoh/deaf and if they
                          >> do
                          >> know, will they remember to face her when they speak and to use clear lip
                          >> patterns etc.
                          >>
                          >> I know in my everyday life people that have known me all my life still
                          >> forget sometimes and put hands, coffee cup in front of their mouth, look
                          >> away when pointing to something and say look at that and Im like er you
                          >> have
                          >> to look at me when you speak. My mums the worst grrrr (tried my best to
                          >> educate her etc but she still forgets).
                          >>
                          >> Mazza
                          >> --- In
                          >> hardofhearinguk@ yahoogroups. co.uk<hardofhearinguk% 40yahoogroups. co.uk>,
                          >> andrew arthur <andrew.arthur@ ...> wrote:
                          >> >
                          >> > I would like to see them pick on her. I want to see them ganging up on
                          >> her
                          >> > and saying things behind her back and all the other hateful things that
                          >> > hearing people do to deaf people in competitive situations. Then
                          >> > perhaps
                          >> the
                          >> > public will understand what we all have to put up with. I'm not going
                          >> > feel sorry for her ... cos she gets paid more than me!
                          >> > It's highly unlikely that I will watch it because without subtitles
                          >> > it's
                          >> > about as interesting as watching goldfish in a bowl... maybe a slight
                          >> > win
                          >> > for the goldfish in fact...

                        • Olukayode Ajala
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                            good for celeb culture but do they speak out on disablism or just like blunkett mix up with the elite coz are priviledged ???

                            nelson mandela like moses(in bible) sided with the people and positivism

                            --- In hardofhearinguk@ yahoogroups. co.uk, "lidia best" <lidiabestcouture@ ...> wrote:

                            > Depends, she is an actress remember?
                            > She must have dealt with it many times.
                            > Lidia

                          • iandc
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                              Without wishing to reopen the debate about what is deaf and what isn't, as Mazz says, Stephanie Beacham is totally deaf in one ear and uses a Bi-Cros hearing aid system to give her some spacial awareness as she explained recently on the 'One Show' whilst promoting Hearing Dogs. She, like me and many of us is partially deaf. The term hard of hearing is extremely patronising and also like many of us I resent being treated as such by the 'deaf' community. It really doesn't do any of us any favours at all not to pull together for better awareness and acceptance of ANY hearing disability instead of the 'divide and conquer' attitude that seems to prevail at the moment.

                              As to whether she will be discriminated against by the other 'inmates', she has been deaf since childhood and has made a very successful career in the one profession you might least expect a deaf person to succeed in. If she wasn't intimidated by Marlon Brando, I don't think she'll have much trouble with some of the infantile morons that appear on Big Brother.

                              AS you'll probably have gathered, I shan't be watching.

                              Ian C.

                              --- In hardofhearinguk@..., Sandra Duguid <bslworks@...> wrote:

                              > Happy New Year 2010!
                              >

                              > Hello everyone,
                              >

                              > She is not deaf, she is hard of hearing.
                              >
                              > Sandra
                              >

                              > To: hardofhearinguk@...
                              > From: mazza21@...
                              > Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:33:32 +0000
                              > Subject: [Hard of Hearing UK] Celebrity Big Brother
                              >

                              > Happy New Year to you all :D
                              >
                              > Will be watching celebrity big brother this year as Stephanie Beacham is on it. She is deaf, so should be interesting to see how she copes in the house with so many people. How will the others treat her. Will she teach them deaf awareness.
                              >
                              > Looks like she is the first deafie to enter the house, though some others have tried lol.
                              >
                              > Mazza

                            • mazza_1961
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                                Bit confused by this Stephanie Beacham often speaks out about her deafness on TV and support hearing dogs for deaf. Whether she will speak out about deafness on CBB, will have to wait and see.

                                Mazza

                                --- In hardofhearinguk@..., Olukayode Ajala <mrkstuk@...> wrote:

                                > good for celeb culture but do they speak out on disablism or just like blunkett mix up with the elite coz are priviledged ???
                                >
                                > nelson mandela like moses(in bible) sided with the people and positivism

                              • lidia best
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                                  I have no problem with term "hard of hearing".
                                  I am deaf as well but never used the sign language as the means of communication.
                                  That is why , I identify myself as hard of hearing but with CI.
                                  It helps organisations and others, adjust they needs.
                                  Hard of hearing will use speech to text help.
                                  Most deaf will need BSL.
                                  Simple

                                  Lidia

                                  Without wishing to reopen the debate about what is deaf and what isn't, as Mazz says, Stephanie Beacham is totally deaf in one ear and uses a Bi-Cros hearing aid system to give her some spacial awareness as she explained recently on the 'One Show' whilst promoting Hearing Dogs. She, like me and many of us is partially deaf. The term hard of hearing is extremely patronising and also like many of us I resent being treated as such by the 'deaf' community. It really doesn't do any of us any favours at all not to pull together for better awareness and acceptance of ANY hearing disability instead of the 'divide and conquer' attitude that seems to prevail at the moment.

                                  As to whether she will be discriminated against by the other 'inmates', she has been deaf since childhood and has made a very successful career in the one profession you might least expect a deaf person to succeed in. If she wasn't intimidated by Marlon Brando, I don't think she'll have much trouble with some of the infantile morons that appear on Big Brother.

                                  AS you'll probably have gathered, I shan't be watching.

                                  Ian C.

                                  --- In hardofhearinguk@..., Sandra Duguid <bslworks@...> wrote:

                                  > Happy New Year 2010!
                                  >

                                  > Hello everyone,
                                  >

                                  > She is not deaf, she is hard of hearing.
                                  >
                                  > Sandra
                                  >

                                  > To: hardofhearinguk@...
                                  > From: mazza21@...
                                  > Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:33:32 +0000
                                  > Subject: [Hard of Hearing UK] Celebrity Big Brother
                                  >

                                  > Happy New Year to you all :D
                                  >
                                  > Will be watching celebrity big brother this year as Stephanie Beacham is on it. She is deaf, so should be interesting to see how she copes in the house with so many people. How will the others treat her. Will she teach them deaf awareness.
                                  >
                                  > Looks like she is the first deafie to enter the house, though some others have tried lol.
                                  >
                                  > Mazza

                                • Fintan Gaughan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                                    To be honest class what you want to be, I only use the term hard of
                                    hearing when applying for jobs, other times class as deaf.
                                    Depends on the stupidity of the able bodies! ;-)

                                    Big brother is subtitled and me yes I be watching it although I had to
                                    ask my wife who other were as I only knew vinnie jones, may sound
                                    sexist but women would know who them all are as I get the impression
                                    Chat or heat readers would know them all.

                                    Fintan

                                    My Blog http://www.finllfixit.co.uk/
                                  • Olukayode Ajala
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                                      yes we shall see

                                      From: mazza_1961 <mazza21@...>
                                      To: hardofhearinguk@...
                                      Date: Monday, 4 January, 2010, 19:19

                                      --- In hardofhearinguk@ yahoogroups. co.uk, Olukayode Ajala <mrkstuk@... > wrote:

                                      > good for celeb culture but do they speak out on disablism or just like blunkett mix up with the elite coz are priviledged ???
                                      >
                                      > nelson mandela like moses(in bible) sided with the people and positivism

                                    • Olukayode Ajala
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                                        ithink diversity has to be apprecaited and like maza says people band togther in mutual respect coz ifdef arentunited itrealy is a big problem yes def withoutspech and solelybsl mayfel wearebeter asspeech with parthering hwovedisabilitycovers all the forms ofimpirmnt, asthe technical/workplacedefintion ofanythingwhich subtstantilyafects ones day today living
                                        atthe pointwhreevn with residul haering one is struggling its disability

                                        an organisation veryproactive have included evn those whodontascribe tobeingdisbled butwith conditins which put them at disadvantge asund theguise socailnorms just as racism men peole are sen negtive bein called disabled justa sbeingblack for example used to be decdes ago
                                        but thanks tocampigns the music, fil, positivism in america etc industryetc we don teven ned pc -nessof afro -americans etc, but repulseagnst derogtory terms such as p... and n... word
                                        so in like maner whther deafened impired disbled we are all of one kind and ned toband together just a s def nedet suuport our speech impired  friends
                                        mr k