BSL advert group

  • mazza_1961
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
      A new group has been set up for people to post adverts for anything to do with British Sign Language e.g courses, shows, events.

      Hope this information helps those involved with advertising BSL events/courses and to those interested in learning BSL or just interested in BSL in general

      Mazza
    • karen denis
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
        Hi Mazza,

        I think that it helps to keep this group free of adverts, but doesn’t seem
        to be reaching members in the same way as before.

        I wanted to help group members by giving (permanent) 10% discount to BSL
        group members, and have put an advert in there giving 10% discount on our
        DVD’s and downloads. Even with new material on our new website at £1.50
        there have been no takers whatsoever….is this because we’re not making what
        you all want (but we’re making what you asked us for in the group), is it
        that people don’t know about the offer or is there some other reason (sign
        classes being closed/ resources aren’t what you want etc etc???). I’d
        really appreciate comments and feedback on this as I’m seriously starting to
        consider whether it’s worth my while continuing to make resources. There
        just doesn’t seem to be the demand any more – any ideas what’s going on and
        how we can continue would be appreciated.

        Best wishes

        Karen Denis

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
          It's just that the nature of the Internet is changing. At first people used
          mailing lists to keep in touch and some still do, but eventually the
          majority of people went over to forums and then more recently to blogging.
          So there has been a movement towards individual pages rather than groups.
          Very recently a lot of people have migrated to My Space and Facebook
          because you have control over what people can see and what you can take part
          in. This has meant that forum usage has died back a lot as people take up
          the new fashions and the usage of FB and MS has soared. It's not doing their
          shares any harm either.
          It might be time to think of opening up Facebook and My Space pages as well?

          On 3 October 2010 11:04, karen denis <karendenis@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mazza,
          >
          > I think that it helps to keep this group free of adverts, but doesn�t seem
          > to be reaching members in the same way as before.
          >
          > I wanted to help group members by giving (permanent) 10% discount to BSL
          > group members, and have put an advert in there giving 10% discount on our
          > DVD�s and downloads. Even with new material on our new website at �1.50
          > there have been no takers whatsoever�.is this because we�re not making what
          > you all want (but we�re making what you asked us for in the group), is it
          > that people don�t know about the offer or is there some other reason (sign
          > classes being closed/ resources aren�t what you want etc etc???). I�d
          > really appreciate comments and feedback on this as I�m seriously starting
          > consider whether it�s worth my while continuing to make resources. There
          > just doesn�t seem to be the demand any more � any ideas what�s going on and
          > how we can continue would be appreciated.
          >
          > Best wishes
          >
          > Karen Denis
          >
          > _____

          Andy

        • karen denis
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
            Thank you for your input, it's definitely appreciated, I really don't want
            the resources to 'die a death' as we've been helping students since 2003.
            I do have a facebook group, but am not very skilled in using or advertising
            it and think I have about 8 members! Ridiculous when you consider the
            hundreds of customers we have. Again, My space,.... I've never used it, but
            will have to get a computer whizz to look into it for me I think. Who... I
            have no idea!
            Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.
            Best wishes
            Karen Denis

            It's just that the nature of the Internet is changing. At first people used
            mailing lists to keep in touch and some still do, but eventually the
            majority of people went over to forums and then more recently to blogging.
            So there has been a movement towards individual pages rather than groups.
            Very recently a lot of people have migrated to My Space and Facebook
            because you have control over what people can see and what you can take part
            in. This has meant that forum usage has died back a lot as people take up
            the new fashions and the usage of FB and MS has soared. It's not doing their
            shares any harm either.
            It might be time to think of opening up Facebook and My Space pages as well?

            On 3 October 2010 11:04, karen denis <karendenis@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mazza,
            >
            > I think that it helps to keep this group free of adverts, but doesn’t seem
            > to be reaching members in the same way as before.
            >
            > I wanted to help group members by giving (permanent) 10% discount to BSL
            > group members, and have put an advert in there giving 10% discount on our
            > DVD’s and downloads. Even with new material on our new website at £1.50
            > there have been no takers whatsoever….is this because we’re not making
            what
            > you all want (but we’re making what you asked us for in the group), is it
            > that people don’t know about the offer or is there some other reason (sign
            > classes being closed/ resources aren’t what you want etc etc???). I’d
            > really appreciate comments and feedback on this as I’m seriously starting
            > consider whether it’s worth my while continuing to make resources. There
            > just doesn’t seem to be the demand any more – any ideas what’s going on
            and
            > how we can continue would be appreciated.
            >
            > Best wishes
            >
            > Karen Denis
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From:
            hardofhearinguk@...<hardofhearinguk%40yahoogroups.co.uk>

            > A new group has been set up for people to post adverts for anything to do
            > with British Sign Language e.g courses, shows, events.

            > Hope this information helps those involved with advertising BSL
            > events/courses and to those interested in learning BSL or just interested
            > in
            > BSL in general
            >
            > Mazza

            Andy

          • hohsaffron
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
              Hi,

              Regarding Karen's comments and questions, I don't think the change in how we use the internet is the main reason, as BSL Learners group has been an exception in how Yahoo groups are becoming less and less popular, now we have Facebook and other social networking sites. It is still a very active group. Although you are totally right in general and many Yahoo groups are now dying out, or used more as noticeboards, rather than discussion groups.

              Karen, I really don't know why no one took up your offer. I was one of the people who was interested, but have been so busy and with other things on my mind, I just didn't get round to doing it. The BSL Learners group is still active (much more active than many Yahoo groups I know of), but perhaps some people are not using it as much now (so Andy's reason may be partially the cause). Adverts are no longer allowed in the main BSL Learners group (only in the sister group for adverts), but I seem to remember seeing your ad going through, so that shouldn't be the reason either. Perhaps email us the moderators with your questions and we will discuss it behind the scenes (about whether we should allow a reminder of your offer, despite the new rules). No promises though. I've stepped aside a little due to lack of time, so I'm no longer the main person running the group.

              Thanks for your good work making those resources and hope there will be many more takers in future.

              Saffron

              --- In hardofhearinguk@..., andrew arthur <andrew.arthur@...> wrote:

              > It's just that the nature of the Internet is changing. At first people used
              > mailing lists to keep in touch and some still do, but eventually the
              > majority of people went over to forums and then more recently to blogging.
              > So there has been a movement towards individual pages rather than groups.
              > Very recently a lot of people have migrated to My Space and Facebook
              > because you have control over what people can see and what you can take part
              > in. This has meant that forum usage has died back a lot as people take up
              > the new fashions and the usage of FB and MS has soared. It's not doing their
              > shares any harm either.
              > It might be time to think of opening up Facebook and My Space pages as well?
              >
              > On 3 October 2010 11:04, karen denis <karendenis@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Mazza,
              > >
              > > I think that it helps to keep this group free of adverts, but doesn�t seem
              > > to be reaching members in the same way as before.
              > >
              > > I wanted to help group members by giving (permanent) 10% discount to BSL
              > > group members, and have put an advert in there giving 10% discount on our
              > > DVD�s and downloads. Even with new material on our new website at �1.50
              > > there have been no takers whatsoever�.is this because we�re not making what
              > > you all want (but we�re making what you asked us for in the group), is it
              > > that people don�t know about the offer or is there some other reason (sign
              > > classes being closed/ resources aren�t what you want etc etc???). I�d
              > > really appreciate comments and feedback on this as I�m seriously starting
              > > consider whether it�s worth my while continuing to make resources. There
              > > just doesn�t seem to be the demand any more � any ideas what�s going on and
              > > how we can continue would be appreciated.
              > >
              > > Best wishes
              > >
              > > Karen Denis
              > >
              > > _____

            • mazza_1961
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2010
                as I think the members of this group are mainly lipreaders and prefer captioned shows.

                Mazza