Why deaf students should be worried about academies

  • Charlie Swinbourne
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
      Article for the Guardian's Comment is Free site about deaf education in the
      cuts - and the planned changes for when academies come in.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jan/31/academies-deaf-pupils-children

      Feel free to join in the debate!

      Charlie

      http://twitter.com/charlie_swin
      Films: http://charlieswinbourne.wordpress.com/films
      Articles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/writers/charlieswinbourne.shtml

    • jamescd_london
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2011
        I had no outside help at school. Just had hearing aids, and then just got on with it like all the other hearing kids. I managed fine with no problems.

        However, it was interesting in the article, it mentioned classrooms were very noisy. That was not the case at my school. Enable teachers to control classroom better, and engage children better, and that will result in an environment that is easier for deaf children to cope with. Academies are more likely to produce that since teachers will have more control.

        In general the move to academies I think is a good thing. Better control of classrooms would make the most difference to the education of deaf children, and that doesn't have to cost anything. It might also result in less need for outside help. More deaf children may be able to get on fine with just hearing aids, like I did. Obviously some will still need extra help, but since less deaf children may need extra help, having less funds is perhaps not a problem.

        Actually sometimes I wonder if outside help can actually be a negative thing and send the wrong signals. It makes deaf children stand out and more likely to suffer prejudices. May also make them more dependent on help than they need to be. Sometimes you have to see what you can do by yourself and what your limits are. That's a valuable lesson. In the outside world, generally you are not going to get special help all the time, and you need to be prepared for that.

        Children need to be able to see what they are capable of and what they aren't capable of. Sometimes you have to fail. Best way to learn. Being overprotective I think is often counter productive.

        Obviously if a deaf child is struggling, then help should be provided. Just think we shouldn't be too quick to always provide help. Give the children a chance to see if they can manage okay first. They may surprise you and do much better than you thought they would. They can be more capable than you realise.

        For me the focus has to be good classroom discipline, and that benefits all children. Not just the deaf. Once you have that, everything will be a lot easier.

        The Labour government have produced too much of an over protective attitude these days, which often is damaging and hinders people's progress. The health and safety rules illustrate that well. This attitude has also resulted in making it difficult for teachers to control a classroom, which is probably why deaf children need more help. The education of hearing children has suffered from this too. I'm glad I was at school before the Labour government, and let's hope the current government reverses that damage.