TokyoPop to close down its US division

  • Sarah Rose
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2011
      I just ran across this:

      http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/04/15/end-of-an-era-tokyopop-shutting-down/

      Thoughts? How long does anyone reckon the European arm'll continue to last?

    • Wizards Keep
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2011
        Wizards-Keep-Email-Head-201
        Hi Sarah and the Gang,

        A while ago there was some news about TokyoPop redesigning their work
        contracts with creative folks, which pretty much said they would publish,
        but monies would only become due once all other considerations, overheads,
        printing, distribution, etc, etc was taken into account, pretty much like
        Image in the USA.

        So in other words no payment as in a page rate, or advance on royalties.

        Once I read this I figured the writing was on the wall.

        Looks like I was right to think this.

        The recession has to be taken into account as well, with companies like this
        unable to keep afloat once folks are not in a position to pay for luxeries,
        etc.

        Sad, but true.

        Hopefully sooner rather than later things will improve.

        Hope everyone in the group is well - I haven't seen some of you guys in
        ages.

        Best,
        Tim...
        Wizard.gif
        Website: <http://www.wizards-keep.com/> www.wizards-keep.com

        Disclaimer note:
        This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for
        the addressee only. If you are not the named addressee you must not
        disclose, copy or take any action in reliance of this e-mail and you should
        notify me as soon as possible. Any views expressed in this message are those
        of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of
        Wizards Keep Ltd. This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for the
        presence of computer viruses, but it is your responsibility to carry out all
        necessary checks and you are advised that you open any attachments at your
        own risk. Thank You.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2011
          I have a couple of friends who've done work for Tokyopop and said the same - but from what they've told me about the way that the company was treating its creatives in the first place, I didn't take it as the foregone conclusion it was.

          It'd be nice to see you again, too, Tim. :)

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2011
            Wizards-Keep-Email-Head-201
            Hi Sarah,

            Pretty much from day one the comics industry (certainly here and in
            definitely until the last thirty years the USA, more so) has laid claim to
            far too many horror stories about the business.

            I don't know too many people that haven't been screwed around with at some
            point in their careers - so it stands to reason that anther company would
            adopt these same standards.

            I am keeping my fingers crossed that the late Jack Kirby's family win their
            case against Marvel/Disney and finally get the monies that their father
            never saw, but wanted for his family all along throughout his career working
            for Marvel as their main creative force.

            When someone so high up the ladder can be treated like this, what chance
            have other folks ever had.

            For me the deal with TokyoPop was always one of exploiting young creators.

            Hopefully I can get down to see you all once Worlds End is finished.