The demise of Lullingstone Villa

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      I have been wondering about the cause of the fire that lead to
      Lullingstopn Villa in the fifth century. Lullingstone was a wealthy
      villa at the centre of some of the richest farming land in the world.
      So a reason must have existed why it wasn't rebuilt. It is my
      hypothesis that the date of the fire gives a clus. Early fifth
      centurt plus fire equals Saxon raiders. But does this hypothesis
      stand up to examination.

      Well Kent did suffer raids along its coast but would the raiders have
      come as far in land (about 8 miles as the crow flies)as Lullingstone
      particuarly as other villas and settlements would have been closer.

      Well they may have already been raided is one thing. Also
      Lullingstone lies on the River Darenth. However the Darenth now is
      pretty shallow coaches ford it on the way to the villa as the
      medieval bridge is too narrow. But I believe that the Darent must
      have been rather more substantial in Roman times. The coast line has
      retreated further east around the Isle of Thanet which is no longer
      and island and Southern England is still rising after the last ice
      age. Could the Daent have been deep enough for raiders to sail up
      close to Lullingstone and carry out a raid. I would say it is
      possible but without further evidence it will remain an educated
      guess.