Re: [Imperial Rome] Re: Happy New Year

  • Inger E Johansson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
      Happy New Year,
      it's 09.02 the first morning of the new year. 2004 has started of with frost and chilly weather here in Gothenburg Sweden. At midnight the best fireworks up to now was shown in my part of town, Tuve Hising Island.

      Sitting here in a chair being as interested as I am in History I can't help adding a few questions I never managed to find full answers to. Over time we humans have had several different midnights as the border between one year and an other. When and why was 31st December decided to become the overall last day on the old year for all Christians around the world?

      Happy New Year.

      Inger E
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
        The weird thing about European time is that Copenhagen a fair distnce
        aast of any point in the British Isles is an hour behind us. Much
        simpler in Roman times when I presume that they didn't bother with
        time zones even though the distance between the furthest east point
        of the Asian provinces the the furthest West point of Lusitania is
        quite considerable. The width in degrees longtitude that is approx 50
        degrees to the United States 70 degrees (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
        which is three time zones isn't it?

        --- In imperialrome2@..., "Mette" <mettek@e...> wrote:
        > Thinking avout consuls right now ... no ... but I hope that most of
        > you have had a Happy New Year. Here it is now 3.47 CET here in
        > Denmark or 2.47 a.m. in England (is that correct?), and if I can
        > still count New Year has not reached the Americas yet. So to all
        who
        > have not celebrated New Year yet ... Happy New Year.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Mette
        >
        > --- In imperialrome2@..., "Richard"
        > <gauiscaecilius@y...> wrote:
        > > Happy New Yeat to all our members its about 01:30 01 Jan 2004 in
        > > England.
        > >
        > > In Rome New Years Day was the day when the new consuls started
        > their
        > > period of office. Of course they would be elected much earlier
        but
        > > would ask you all to nominate your own two consuls from the roll
        > of
        > > Roman citizens throghout history. I will act as censor and judge
        > > whether nominations are valid.
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
          I asked and in part answered the question about midnights a couple of
          moments ago in one of my early morning musings (well early for New
          Years Day). As for the new year starting on 1st January in western
          culture it is the start of the month following the shortest day of
          the year.

          --- In imperialrome2@..., "Inger E Johansson"
          <inger_e.johansson@t...> wrote:
          > Happy New Year,
          > it's 09.02 the first morning of the new year. 2004 has started of
          with frost and chilly weather here in Gothenburg Sweden. At midnight
          the best fireworks up to now was shown in my part of town, Tuve
          Hising Island.

          > Sitting here in a chair being as interested as I am in History I
          can't help adding a few questions I never managed to find full
          answers to. Over time we humans have had several different midnights
          as the border between one year and an other. When and why was 31st
          December decided to become the overall last day on the old year for
          all Christians around the world?

          > Happy New Year.
          >
          > Inger E
        • Sulla Aramanthi
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
            Lucius Cornelius Sulla-80bc, He became Dictator,
            Tiberius Claudius Nero-202BC The first effective
            Screwing of Scippy Africanus out of his deserved win
            of the Hannibal Wars, and the beginning of the Great
            Screw that drove Scippy out of Politics.

            http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
          • greg carroll
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
              My nominations wouold be Julius Ceasar and Scipio Africanus, the Borders would be secure, but the domestic policy would be a push.

              Richard <gauiscaecilius@...> wrote:
              Happy New Yeat to all our members its about 01:30 01 Jan 2004 in
              England.

              In Rome New Years Day was the day when the new consuls started their
              period of office. Of course they would be elected much earlier but I
              would ask you all to nominate your own two consuls from the roll of
              Roman citizens throghout history. I will act as censor and judge
              whether nominations are valid.

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Richard
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
                It occurs to me that I haven't made my nominations. They would be
                Julius Caesar and Claudius.

                My reasoning is that they would get on fairly well aristocrats with a
                concern for their subjects. Caesar would be free to defend the empire
                against all comers where as Claudius was an extremely competant
                administrator who whould maintain the finances and infrastructure of
                the empire. If I could only get one of them elected except on time of
                dire miiitary danger I would settle for Claudius.

                --- In imperialrome2@..., "Richard"