Re: [Imperial Rome] Re: Troy, the movie - for the last time

  • Mary AsaWoman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2004
      I believe that the classicists were able to enjoy the movie "without
      reservation" as they thought of it, not as a documentary, but as a fantasy.
      They did not expect reality and when they did not get it, they weren't
      disappointed.

      We need to look at other movies set in Classical times the same way.

      As for the Llamas, these animals also make an annual appearance at a local
      church's living Nativity scene, along with stirrups on Kind Herod's saddle,
      potatoes, and coffee, not to mention polyester in abundance. The people who
      really look authentic are the Roman legionaries and centurion from a local
      reenactment group.

      Mary

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        Point taken. Still, it is disturbing to me that we shall view movies
        set in classical times (or in any times of distant past) as fantasy
        and not expect them to show some degree of historical acuracy. There
        is much we can learn from history to make us wiser and less prone to
        make the same mistakes that were repeated throughout history of
        mankind. And for a lot of people who are much less knowlegable than
        the classicists and folks in this group, they are prone to think that
        this *was* history, because they have no knowlege base to discern the
        difference between the two. The general public in America at least,
        are so ingnorant of history and different cultures of different
        regions and times that once existed or are still existing on the face
        of earth, that I think, is partially responsible for the terrible
        mistakes we have made in areas such as foreign policy. I still think
        public media including movies and televison programs, should at least
        attempt to help improve the situation.

        --- In imperialrome2@..., "Mary AsaWoman"
        <marys2cats@e...> wrote:
        > I believe that the classicists were able to enjoy the movie "without
        > reservation" as they thought of it, not as a documentary, but as a
        fantasy.
        > They did not expect reality and when they did not get it, they
        weren't
        > disappointed.
        >
        > We need to look at other movies set in Classical times the same way.
        >
        > As for the Llamas, these animals also make an annual appearance at
        a local
        > church's living Nativity scene, along with stirrups on Kind Herod's
        saddle,
        > potatoes, and coffee, not to mention polyester in abundance. The
        people who
        > really look authentic are the Roman legionaries and centurion from
        a local
        > reenactment group.
        >
        > Mary

      • Mary Harrsch
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004

          I agree with “Mary with the 2 cats” about enjoying classical films for their entertainment value.  I’m a little concerned that the lack of “blockbuster” returns garnered by “Troy” will discourage Hollywood from its present efforts to restore the genre.  I find these historical epics, despite any historical inaccuracies, far more entertaining than the proliferation of “drug war” movies or mindless comedies that seem to find individuals that do not measure up to the current fantasy image of successful “twenty-somethings” objects of humor.  I also think Hollywood should be excused, at times, for using props or costumes that, though chronologically are inaccurate, are recognized by the general public as belonging to the culture, albeit a different time period.  For example, many people, thanks to The History Channel, have seen enough portrayals of Greek history to recognize a Corinthian helmet as one that is associated with Greek warriors. They probably even distinguish between a Greek helmet and a Roman helmet.  But the fact that the Corinthian helmet was not introduced until 500 B.C. would probably be unknown to them or viewed as not particularly important in the overall cinematic experience.  It helps them to distinguish between the combatants and that is what counts.

          - Libitina

          Mary Harrsch

          Network & Information Systems Manager

          College of Education

          University of Oregon

          Eugene, OR  97403

          (541) 346-3554

          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

          Commentary Section Editor

          Innovate!

          A refereed online journal providing information

          and inspiration to educators using technologies

          to improve the learning experience.

          http://ts.mivu.org

          Editor

          Roman Times