Ancient Roman Travels

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hey all!

      I have been around here for a couple of months just reading and
      getting one hell of an education!

      I finally have a question.

      I've been reading some 'forbidden acheology' and some anomolies about
      the ancient Romans and other cultures travelling to the Americas long
      before Columbus made his way.

      I can see that sometimes things happen and a current takes a ship
      somewhere far off from the original destination. But I do remember
      seeing a documentary about a guy who found a current from Egypt to
      South America and cruised it with a boat built in the ancient ways.
      He was able to make it there and back. It had something to do with
      Atlantis research.

      What are your thoughts on the subject? I'm just curious.

      --Heather
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        My immediate thought are that the Romans were not enthusiastic
        sailors. Not being a sailor I am not sure about the currents but what
        I do know of Columbus voyage following a similar sort of route was
        that it was dangerously long. The Santa Maria was an ocean liner
        compared with most Roman vessels. The Roman did have large vessels
        but they were for carrying freight.

        What this is leading upto is that I think that if a Roman vessel
        reached the new world is was with a cargo of corpses. I do not
        believe that anyone would have survived the voyage. Forutitous
        showers might have provided sufficient water but food would have run
        out so long before that the odd unlucky fish would not have been
        sufficient. Its not impossible just incredibly unlikely.

        --- In imperialrome2@..., "Heather"
        <pearlheartgtr@y...> wrote:
        > Hey all!
        >
        > I have been around here for a couple of months just reading and
        > getting one hell of an education!
        >
        > I finally have a question.
        >
        > I've been reading some 'forbidden acheology' and some anomolies
        about
        > the ancient Romans and other cultures travelling to the Americas
        long
        > before Columbus made his way.
        >
        > I can see that sometimes things happen and a current takes a ship
        > somewhere far off from the original destination. But I do remember
        > seeing a documentary about a guy who found a current from Egypt to
        > South America and cruised it with a boat built in the ancient ways.
        > He was able to make it there and back. It had something to do with
        > Atlantis research.
        >
        > What are your thoughts on the subject? I'm just curious.
        >
        > --Heather
      • Carolyn Koslowski
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
          I believe (and please, someone correct me if I'm
          wrong) that the documentary was based on a man by the
          name of Thor Heyerdall (sp?) and his boat "Ra". If
          I'm not mistaken, he recreated an Egyptian boat and
          attempted to sail from the Mediterranean across the
          Atlantic. I don't think his first attempt succeeded.
          I'm not sure if his second one did. If I remember
          correctly, this was done somewhere around the late
          70's early 80's.

          I think the main strike against a Roman ship finding
          its way across the Atlantic is that until the "Viking
          Era" of 750-1066 AD, mariners tended, for the most
          part, to stay within sight of the shoreline.

          I know there have been some suggestions that the
          Chinese found their way to the west coast of the
          Americas, but there are numerous islands throughout
          the Pacific which would have made the journey more
          like "island-hopping" rather than a straight out
          course over a whole lot of open water.

          Just my .02
          Carolyn

          > I can see that sometimes things happen and a current
          > takes a ship
          > somewhere far off from the original destination. But
          > I do remember
          > seeing a documentary about a guy who found a current
          > from Egypt to
          > South America and cruised it with a boat built in
          > the ancient ways.
          > He was able to make it there and back. It had
          > something to do with
          > Atlantis research.
          >
          > What are your thoughts on the subject? I'm just
          > curious.
          >
          > --Heather

          =====
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop 620-560 BC

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Carlos Mundy
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
            Hello, In the "Pink Elephant" by ? has Chinese archor disk on the
            coast of upper Bahi, California;
            http://yahoogroups.com/CulturalDuffusion has some info and its
            somewhere in the Lake Valley Family @ MSN.....;Roman artifacts in
            Tucson is by Vincent Gaddis, dated ?. older book maybe 30-49 yrs old

            --- In imperialrome2@..., Carolyn Koslowski
            <daemonei@y...> wrote:

            > I believe (and please, someone correct me if I'm
            > wrong) that the documentary was based on a man by the
            > name of Thor Heyerdall (sp?) and his boat "Ra". If
            > I'm not mistaken, he recreated an Egyptian boat and
            > attempted to sail from the Mediterranean across the
            > Atlantic. I don't think his first attempt succeeded.
            > I'm not sure if his second one did. If I remember
            > correctly, this was done somewhere around the late
            > 70's early 80's.
            >
            > I think the main strike against a Roman ship finding
            > its way across the Atlantic is that until the "Viking
            > Era" of 750-1066 AD, mariners tended, for the most
            > part, to stay within sight of the shoreline.
            >
            > I know there have been some suggestions that the
            > Chinese found their way to the west coast of the
            > Americas, but there are numerous islands throughout
            > the Pacific which would have made the journey more
            > like "island-hopping" rather than a straight out
            > course over a whole lot of open water.
            >
            > Just my .02
            > Carolyn
            >

            > > I can see that sometimes things happen and a current
            > > takes a ship
            > > somewhere far off from the original destination. But
            > > I do remember
            > > seeing a documentary about a guy who found a current
            > > from Egypt to
            > > South America and cruised it with a boat built in
            > > the ancient ways.
            > > He was able to make it there and back. It had
            > > something to do with
            > > Atlantis research.
            > >
            > > What are your thoughts on the subject? I'm just
            > > curious.
            > >
            > > --Heather
            > >

            > =====
            > "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public
            office." - Aesop 620-560 BC

            > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Mary Harrsch
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004

              I see that PBS is airing a special this month about the Chinese “discovering” the Americas in 1421.

              - Libitina

              Mary Harrsch

              Network & Information Systems Manager

              College of Education

              University of Oregon

              Eugene, OR  97403

              (541) 346-3554

              http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

              Commentary Section Editor

              Innovate!

              A refereed online journal providing information

              and inspiration to educators using technologies

              to improve the learning experience.
              http://horizon.unc.edu/innovate/guidelines/

              Editor

              Roman Times

              http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

              =====

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
                The Chinese reaching California strikes me as a far higher
                probability if they went via the Aleutions then hugged the coast
                going south. The only thing against it is the tendency of the Chinese
                to be inward looking but I remember hearing tha one Chinese emperor
                had an admiral go out exploring so its plausible.

                --- In imperialrome2@..., "Carlos Mundy"

              • nheck8226@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
                  I thought Thor Hayerdall's (I have no idea how to spell it either) boat was Kontiki, and he was attempting to prove the paleolithic man could have sailed the Atlantic on rafts to settle North America.  I don't think anyone really believed his theory, but he did cross the Atlantic on a raft, which is pretty damn impressive in its own right.

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
                    After Kontiki, Hayerdall made another expedition in RaII but I don't
                    know much more.

                    --- In imperialrome2@..., nheck8226@c... wrote:
                    > I thought Thor Hayerdall's (I have no idea how to spell it either)
                    boat was Kontiki, and he was attempting to prove the paleolithic man
                    could have sailed the Atlantic on rafts to settle North America. I
                    don't think anyone really believed his theory, but he did cross the
                    Atlantic on a raft, which is pretty damn impressive in its own right.

                    > I believe (and please, someone correct me if I'm
                    > wrong) that the documentary was based on a man by the
                    > name of Thor Heyerdall (sp?) and his boat "Ra". If
                    > I'm not mistaken, he recreated an Egyptian boat and
                    > attempted to sail from the Mediterranean across the
                    > Atlantic. I don't think his first attempt succeeded.
                    > I'm not sure if his second one did. If I remember
                    > correctly, this was done somewhere around the late
                    > 70's early 80's.
                    >
                    > I think the main strike against a Roman ship finding
                    > its way across the Atlantic is that until the "Viking
                    > Era" of 750-1066 AD, mariners tended, for the most
                    > part, to stay within sight of the shoreline.
                    >
                    > I know there have been some suggestions that the
                    > Chinese found their way to the west coast of the
                    > Americas, but there are numerous islands throughout
                    > the Pacific which would have made the journey more
                    > like "island-hopping" rather than a straight out
                    > course over a whole lot of open water.
                    >
                    > Just my .02
                    > Carolyn
                    >

                    > > I can see that sometimes things happen and a current
                    > > takes a ship
                    > > somewhere far off from the original destination. But
                    > > I do remember
                    > > seeing a documentary about a guy who found a current
                    > > from Egypt to
                    > > South America and cruised it with a boat built in
                    > > the ancient ways.
                    > > He was able to make it there and back. It had
                    > > something to do with
                    > > Atlantis research.
                    > >
                    > > What are your thoughts on the subject? I'm just
                    > > curious.
                    > >
                    > > --Heather
                    > >

                    > =====
                    > "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public
                    office." - Aesop 620-560 BC

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mary Harrsch

                      After Kontiki, Hayerdall made another expedition in RaII but I don't
                      know much more.

                      --- In imperialrome2@..., nheck8226@c... wrote:
                      > I thought Thor Hayerdall's (I have no idea how to spell it either)
                      boat was Kontiki, and he was attempting to prove the paleolithic man
                      could have sailed the Atlantic on rafts to settle North America.  I
                      don't think anyone really believed his theory, but he did cross the
                      Atlantic on a raft, which is pretty damn impressive in its own right.

                      > I believe (and please, someone correct me if I'm
                      > wrong) that the documentary was based on a man by the
                      > name of Thor Heyerdall (sp?) and his boat "Ra". If
                      > I'm not mistaken, he recreated an Egyptian boat and
                      > attempted to sail from the Mediterranean across the
                      > Atlantic. I don't think his first attempt succeeded.
                      > I'm not sure if his second one did. If I remember
                      > correctly, this was done somewhere around the late
                      > 70's early 80's.
                      >
                      > I think the main strike against a Roman ship finding
                      > its way across the Atlantic is that until the "Viking
                      > Era" of 750-1066 AD, mariners tended, for the most
                      > part, to stay within sight of the shoreline.
                      >
                      > I know there have been some suggestions that the
                      > Chinese found their way to the west coast of the
                      > Americas, but there are numerous islands throughout
                      > the Pacific which would have made the journey more
                      > like "island-hopping" rather than a straight out
                      > course over a whole lot of open water.
                      >
                      > Just my .02
                      > Carolyn
                      >

                      > > I can see that sometimes things happen and a current
                      > > takes a ship
                      > > somewhere far off from the original destination. But
                      > > I do remember
                      > > seeing a documentary about a guy who found a current
                      > > from Egypt to
                      > > South America and cruised it with a boat built in
                      > > the ancient ways.
                      > > He was able to make it there and back. It had
                      > > something to do with
                      > > Atlantis research.
                      > >
                      > > What are your thoughts on the subject? I'm just
                      > > curious.
                      > >
                      > > --Heather
                      > >

                      > =====
                      > "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public
                      office." - Aesop 620-560 BC

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Mary AsaWoman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                        Here is some information on Ra I and Ra II. Apparently, Ra I suffered problems in mid-Atlantic, but Ra II made it.

                        Mary with the cats

                        Ra II

                        Reed raft (1m) L/B/D: 39 × 16 × 6 deep (11.9m × 4.9m × 1.8m). Hull: papyrus reed Comp: 8 Des: traditional Built: Safi, Morocco; 1970.

                        Intrigued by the strong resemblance between various aspects of ancient Egyptian and pre-Columbian culture, Thor Heyerdahl set out to demonstrate that the sources of New World technology and belief could have come from across the Atlantic. A crucial point of similarity was the design of reed boats shown in Egyptian tombs and found on Lake Chad, the Andean Lake Titicaca, and Easter Island, to which he had sailed in the balsa raft Kon-Tiki in 1947 in the Pacific. Heyerdahl hired Chadian reed boat builder Abdullah Djibrine and two Buruma colleagues to build a kaday from papyrus cut on Lake Tana, the source of the Blue Nile in Ethiopia. The design was worked out in consultation between Djibrine and Björn Langström, a Swedish authority on ancient Egyptian boat design.

                        The finished Ra—named for the Egyptian sun god—made entirely of papyrus and rope was taken by truck and ship to the Moroccan port of Safi where she was launched. The polyglot crew consisted of Heyerdahl, Djibrine, Yuri Alexandrovich Senkevich (Soviet Union), Norman Baker (United States), Carlo Mauri (Italy), Santiago Genoves (Mexico), and Georges Sourial (Egypt). Provisions for the voyage were carried in 160 amphorae made according to a 5,000-year-old example in the Cairo Museum. The voyage began on May 25, 1969. Although Ra made it most of the way across the Atlantic, covering about 60 miles a day (2.5 knots), the crew were forced to abandon Ra near Barbados, because much of the stern had sagged and the raft was breaking up.

                        Convinced only that he had chosen the wrong design, Heyerdahl arranged to build Ra II, a Moroccan madia whose design more closely resembled that of the reed rafts on Lake Titicaca. Four Aymara reed builders from Bolivia were brought to Morocco for the project, which again used reeds from Lake Tana. Though 10 feet shorter than Ra, Ra II carried eight crew, Madanni Ait Ouhanni (Morocco) and Kei Ohara (Japan) sailing in place of Djibrine. The second attempt, in 1970, was a success, the voyage from Morocco to Barbados being completed in only 57 days.

                        Heyerdahl, "Ra" Expeditions