Re: Provence's awareness of Roman heritage

  • khakiberetman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay over there band noticed these
      interesting traits. I remember the Jules César Hotel because when we visite=
      Arles when I was a kid, we opted to eat in the cheap bistro across from it =

      rather than go into the expensive looking place: and I duly got food poison=
      ing.
      I'm also told by two friends who ventured in there anyway, that the Jules
      César had much nicer toilets.

      Your reference to the Via Domitia is interesting because I don't think ther=
      e are
      many other highways in France that expressly refer to their Roman forebears=

      even though natrally a few roads do follow exactly the old Roman route. The=

      Via Domitia, most likely, was one of the most celebrated of the strategic
      Roman roads outside of Italy, a suitable East-to-West equivalent to its nea=
      contemporary, the Via Egnatia which crosses the Balkans West-to-East.

      --- In imperialrome2@..., "Richard" <gauiscaecilius@y...>