Re: [Imperial Rome] OT: The National Museum of the American Indian

  • Mary AsaWoman
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      Message
      Mary,

      Thank you for sharing your photographs of the American Indian museum at the Smithsonian.

      The dagger photographs (about half way through) has a very interesting Celtic look to them. Can you tell me how old these daggers are and where they came from? (See below).

      Intricate engraving does not obscure a daggers deadly purpose 2 Intricate engraving does not obscure a daggers deadly purpose 1

      They are photographs $s 93 and 94, if I counted correctly.

      Mary with the cats

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        A very interesting picture collection! I have the impression these look like
        weapons carried by the Conquistadores. In 16th century Europe such
        daggers were frequently carried as side-arms by pikemen and arquebusiers
        of the Swiss, German and Spanish infantries. It is true the handles and the
        wideness of the blade at base do give them a Celtic aspect.

        We would need a sword expert to confirm this but I have the impression that
        swords and daggers, with the exception of their length, on the whole changed
        little in design from antiquity to the Renaissance, when the rapier was
        introduced as the ancestor of modern swords and sabres.

        Incidentally, I have been looking forward to visiting this new museum when I
        next go to Washington DC.
      • Mary Harrsch
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
          Message
          Yes, the daggers were part of the "Spanish Conquest" exhibit which places them in the 16th century, unless they were family heirlooms that were passed down.  Unfortunately, I was taking so many pictures I couldn't remember the details about that particular piece and the book I bought about the museum does not feature it.  I was pleasantly surprised that the museum includes native American exhibits from all of the Americas, not just North America.  The Smithsonian also has hundreds of thousands of additional items in storage (the Smithsonian acquired the collection of  George Gustav Heye, considered the largest collection of native American artifacts in the world) so the museum can be repeatedly visited and new items will be seen each time (if the visits are spaced appropriately).

          Yesterday, I ordered a new digital camera to use in low light situations like photographing museum exhibits.  My Sony is wonderful but has an ISO rating of only 100.  This is the digital equivalent of a film's ASA rating.  The new camera, a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 with a 12x Leica zoom lens, has an adjustable ISO setting of 80 - 400 so I am hopeful I will get better interior results with it.  I don't like using a flash because it often washes out colors and removes the subtle character created by facial shadows.  Also, shooting through glass is tricky using a flash as well.  The new camera also has an excellent Macro feature that I hope to use frequently as well.

          I hope to travel to San Jose, California in the coming months and visit the newly reopened Rosacrucian Egyptian Museum.  Their website says they allow only non-flash photography so I'll need the new camera for best results there.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
            Mary,

            I grew up in San Jose.
            You will get a kick out of the historical inaccuracies
            at the Rosacrucian Egyptian Museum.
            They have some great artifacts.

            Paul

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Mary Harrsch
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
              Message
              Paul, have you been there since they reopened?  I understand the Egyptian meditation garden is quite beautiful.

            • minervalis pictor
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004

                > A very interesting picture collection! I have the
                > impression these look like
                >
                > weapons carried by the Conquistadores. In 16th
                > century Europe such
                > daggers were frequently carried as side-arms by
                > pikemen and arquebusiers
                > of the Swiss, German and Spanish infantries. It is
                > true the handles and the
                > wideness of the blade at base do give them a Celtic
                > aspect.

                This type of dagger is based on the "cinqueda" of southern europe, especially Spain and Italy. It is inspired from classical(not celtic)sources. The conquistadores for practical purposes developed a new sword nearly identical in weight and overall feel with the short swords of antiquity, it is called an "espada ancha", a cut and thrust sword for business anywhere, anytime. These weapons are longer than a typical cinqueda, which is more of dagger than a sword anyway.

                Pictor

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • Paul Puebla III
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                  I was not aware they made any changes.
                  I shall place on my list.
                  --- Mary Harrsch <mharrsch@...> wrote:

                  > Paul, have you been there since they reopened? I
                  > understand the Egyptian
                  > meditation garden is quite beautiful.
                  >
                  > - Libitina
                  >
                  > Mary Harrsch
                  > Network & Information Systems Manager
                  > College of Education
                  > University of Oregon
                  > Eugene, OR 97403
                  > (541) 346-3554
                  >

                  > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/
                  >
                  > Editor
                  > Roman Times

                  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • Mary Harrsch
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Apparently, the Rosacrucian Museum has been closed for the past six years
                    and have just reopened after an extensive remodel. Your historical
                    inaccuracies may now be gone! :-)

                  • khakiberetman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                      It's interesting these models followed the Renaissance fashion to imitate
                      classical designs.

                      Indeed some Roman swords had extremely wide brims that sometimes gave
                      them a "Celtic" look. I have just acquired a replica of the "Mainz gladius", the
                      original of which is in the British Museum. Although this is a weapon dated
                      from the early imperial period (around the reign of Tiberius I think) it is meant
                      to still ressemble Roman Republican period gladii, and it is slightly shaped
                      like these Spanish daggers!

                      --- In imperialrome2@..., minervalis pictor
                      <venusarmata@y...> wrote:

                      This type of dagger is based on the "cinqueda" of southern europe, especially
                      Spain and Italy. It is inspired from classical(not celtic)sources. The
                      conquistadores for practical purposes developed a new sword nearly
                      identical in weight and overall feel with the short swords of antiquity, it is
                      called an "espada ancha", a cut and thrust sword for business anywhere,
                      anytime. These weapons are longer than a typical cinqueda, which is more of
                      dagger than a sword anyway.

                      > Pictor

                      > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!
                    • Paul Puebla III
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                        I have not been there in almost twenty years.
                        I am in Colorado now and short of living in Scotland,
                        have no asperations to live anywhere else.

                        === message truncated ===

                        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                        http://my.yahoo.com
                      • Mary Harrsch
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                          Message
                          Paul, Colorado is certainly beautiful.  I hope the next time I am in Denver to have a chance to visit their Natural History museum.  I've heard it has some of the most beautiful animal mounts in the world.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                            Very true,

                            The BOD changed the name to the "Museum of Nature and
                            Science" that is how you will find it now online. We
                            currently have an egyptian exhibit which, if allowed,
                            will photograph.

                            Here is the link to the musuem

                            http://www.dmnh.org/main/en/

                            === message truncated ===