Roman New Year

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
      It is totally on topic to wish you a happy new year. That is provding
      we choose the date correctly setting to when Julius Caesar first
      made his changes. As has been mentioned on other posts Caesar got it
      very narly right but over the centuries the small inaccuracies
      mounted.

      I wonder if senators joining the parade for the new consuls felt as
      bleary as I suspect many of us do after celebrating the turn of the
      year.
    • david meadows
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
        On which, see rogueclassicism (which doesn't have much else today):

        www.atrium-media.com/rogueclassicism

        dm

        Richard wrote:

        > It is totally on topic to wish you a happy new year. That is provding
        > we choose the date correctly setting to when Julius Caesar first
        > made his changes. As has been mentioned on other posts Caesar got it
        > very narly right but over the centuries the small inaccuracies
        > mounted.
        >
        > I wonder if senators joining the parade for the new consuls felt as
        > bleary as I suspect many of us do after celebrating the turn of the
        > year.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mary AsaWoman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
          Happy New Year, everyone, according to the Gregorian Calendar.

          Mary+cats

        • me-in-@disguise.co.uk
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
            Not Roman but I notice coming to the I/Net caff that my neighbours upstairs
            appear to be having a party. Last night, all was quiet. Since they are all East
            European of some description, is it the custom there to celebrate on the 1st
            instead of welcoming it?