Re: appearance of the Huns

  • khakiberetman
    Message 1 of 8 , 1 Apr 01:27
      I think we have a familiar image of the Huns as Asians, or more
      specifically East Asians, when the probability is greater that they
      were Central Asians, which does not exclude the presence of European
      features among them. Kirghizstan is in the news these days and I
      have been thinking the inhabitants have both European and East Asian
      features, imagining this might be approximately the sort of
      appearance the Huns might have had.

      Incidentally, some "descendants" of the Huns have been granted an
      official ethnic mnority status in Hungary very recently. The
      Hungarians themselves are Magyars, descendants of a population that
      was closely related to the Huns ethnically and linguistically, and
      as you know Attila is still a rather common first name in Hungary
      today. But from what I understand these "descendants" of the Huns do
      not look like our received Mongoloid image of the Huns: they can be
      quite fair skinned just like the Finns, who also derive from this
      large Central Asian ethnic and linguistic group.

      Lastly it is also good to remember that Attila federated under his
      authority a lot of peoples besides the Huns, most notably Germanic
      peoples such as the Goths.

      --- In imperialrome2@..., "peterbsullivan"
      <peterbsullivan@y...> wrote:

      > Hello- I joined this list awhile back..but only now have had time
      > post something..prompted because of watching the recent historical
      > shows on History Channel..one abt battles, one abt Attila..
      > I was disappointed by the shoddy research (although budgets play a
      > role I'm sure) in terms of having European actors protray Huns and
      > also the utterly inaccurate costumes of the legionnaires of the
      5th
      > Century.
      > There was also an awful computer animated series on History last
      > summer..also equally inaccurate.
      > Oh well-anyway- greetings to all..Peter in USA
    • Mary Harrsch
      Message 2 of 8 , 1 Apr 08:34
        Message
        Peter, welcome to the group.  I too suffered a shock this past week when I was watching a program on the Science Channel (an offshoot of the Discovery Channel) about ancient China and they showed a courtier discussing a drought with the Qin emperor and gesturing at a diseased ear of corn.  I realize the generic word "corn" is used in ancient times to denote cereal grains in general but an ear of "maize" is out of place unless there were secret voyages by the Chinese to the Americas.  I suppose the director used the prop because it is visually easier to perceive the damage on an ear of corn than holding up a handful of withered grain.

        - Libitina

        Mary Harrsch
        Network & Information Systems Manager
        College of Education
        University of Oregon
        Eugene, OR  97403
        (541) 346-3554

        Editor
        Roman Times
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

        "What we do in life echoes through eternity" - Decimus Meridius Maximus

        Message 3 of 8 , 2 Apr 17:04
          --- yes thank you..I guess I was basically put off by that entire
          series in which they even depicted Genghis Khan and the Mongols also
          as European!!!!!!
          But you make very interesting points here.
          I was going by the Osprey series which make so much of historical and
          archeological accuracy..all depictions of Huns there are that of
          Asiatic peoples.
          but I appreciate and am edified by these points you make.Peter

          Message 4 of 8 , 2 Apr 17:07
            ---Thank you Mary..I appreciate it..
            Your name...btw -sounds very familiar..probably from another Ancient
            History list.
            cheers Peter In imperialrome2@..., "Mary Harrsch"
            <mharrsch@u...> wrote:
            > Peter, welcome to the group. I too suffered a shock this past week
            when I
            > was watching a program on the Science Channel (an offshoot of the
            Discovery
            > Channel) about ancient China and they showed a courtier discussing
            a drought
            > with the Qin emperor and gesturing at a diseased ear of corn. I
            realize the
            > generic word "corn" is used in ancient times to denote cereal
            grains in
            > general but an ear of "maize" is out of place unless there were
            secret
            > voyages by the Chinese to the Americas. I suppose the director
            used the
            > prop because it is visually easier to perceive the damage on an ear
            of corn
            > than holding up a handful of withered grain.
            >
            > - Libitina
            >
            > Mary Harrsch
            > Network & Information Systems Manager
            > College of Education
            > University of Oregon
            > Eugene, OR 97403
            > (541) 346-3554
            >

            > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/
            >
            > Editor
            > Roman Times
            > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
            >
            > "What we do in life echoes through eternity" - Decimus Meridius
            Maximus

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service
            > <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .
          • khakiberetman
            Message 5 of 8 , 3 Apr 05:11
              I also have the title in this Osprey series, "Attila and the nomad hordes" (I think
              there is another recent title on "Nomad mounted archers" but I don't have it
              yet.) The book describes a variety of peoples alongside the Huns and they
              are indeed represented as at least semi-Asiatic.

              On the Attila TV show, I will certainly share some reservations with you,
              though in comparison with some other programmes I've seen I think it
              certainly wasn't the most dismal. I don't know about this Genghis Khan one
              yet. I do remember that in the 1950s there was a John Wayne movie in which
              he played Genghis Khan. Apparently most of the actors and crew later
              developped cancer because it was shot in the vicinity of a nuclear testing site
              in the US southwest!

              Message 6 of 8 , 3 Apr 22:11
                --- Yes interesting point abt the John Wayne G. Khan..there was also
                a very entertaining one G Khan movie made in the l960s with Omar
                Sharif in the main role...and most caucasian actors as the Mongols -
                also James Mason in makeup played a Chinese mandarin.
                Back then people didn't notice such things perhaps-- something Mike
                Meyers spoofed in his Austin Powers movies.

                Message 7 of 8 , 4 Apr 05:14
                  You've mentioned Jack Palance playing Attila. I also remember a version in
                  which Anthony Quinn played the king of the Huns.