Re: [Imperial Rome] Good Roman topic fiction, non fiction for summer eading

  • Mary Harrsch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      I just got a note from Steven today letting us know that he has
      finished his new epic novel "Roma" that will be released in March of
      2007 and the paperback version of his latest Gordianus collection of
      short stories, "A Gladiator Dies Only Once" has been released in the US.

      I'm assuming you have read the "Masters of Rome" series of novels by
      Colleen McCullough. If not, I would recommend them most highly and
      another novel I enjoyed very much was "King of the Romans" by John
      Gorman. I also enjoyed "Pompeii" by Robert Harris and "A.D. 62
      Pompeii" by our very own Rebecca East. I've also heard that Rosemary
      Rowe's series of Roman detective novels are second only to Steven
      Saylor in quality. I hope to discover it for myself soon but must
      finish "Pride of Carthage" and "Vipsania" first. You also may want to
      give Jim Duffy's first novel "Sands of the Arena" a look as well as
      Rosemary Sutcliff's books, although listed for young adults, that are
      excellent. They include "The Outcast", "Eagle of the Ninth", "The
      Shining Company", "The Lantern Bearers", and "The Silver Branch".

      --- In imperialrome2@..., JOHN ROBINSON
      <johnrobinson93@b...> wrote:

      > try the steven saylor roma sub rosa books they run in chronological
      order starting with roman blood i cant praise them enough . Also simon
      scarrow good tales of roman army life in britain at the time of
      claudius .happy reading