Decisive Battles DVD

  • Mary Harrsch
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      I was up on the History Channel website and saw a DVD set entitled
      "Decisive Battles of the Ancient World" which is being sold there for
      $34.95. They also have the complete collection of "Decisive Battles"
      episodes for $129.95. I went up on Amazon and found "Decisive Battles
      of the Ancient World" for $29.95. I thought it a strange coincidence
      that both the $29.95 DVD and the $129.95 DVD each included thirteen
      episodes. I went ahead an ordered the $29.95 DVD and received it last
      night. I haven't viewed it yet but the description on the back says
      hosted by Matthew Settle, the same person who hosted the original
      "Decisive Battles" series that the History Channel is selling for
      $129.95. I suspect they are basically the same product. So, if you
      enjoyed the "Decisive Battles" series, save yourself $100 and order
      "Decisive Battles of the Ancient World" instead of the official series
      collection.

      I hope some day to have time to explore the conflict editor that is a
      free download for Rome: Total War. Supposedly, it is this capability
      that was used by The History Channel to recreate the battles in the
      "Decisive Battles" series. It would be great if we could recreate other
      battles and make them freely available for other history enthusiasts and
      scholars!