Re: [Imperial Rome] History Education on primary-and-secundary schools in different countries

  • jachthondus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In imperialrome2@y..., "Hathaway Shoshana" <shoshanah@e...> wrote:
      > In the best of all possible worlds, of course ... both methods are
      used. I
      > was lucky in that respect ... since my school viewed world history
      as a 4
      > year course of study ... from 9th to 12th grade ...so we got both
      the
      > overview and the concentrations. In addition, history was my
      unofficial
      > minor in college ... and I've always been interested enough to read
      about it
      > on my own.
      >
      > However, my dearest friend takes the view that what happened in the
      past is
      > unimportant ... and she has passed that view on to her daughters.
      I shudder
      > each time I hear them say this ...so encourage the girls to watch
      historical
      > dramas (even with their inaccuracies, they portray an era, and that
      might
      > lead to interest, thence to exploration ... and I have become their
      resource
      > on the past. sigh.
      >
      > Gently,
      > Damascena

      And ever-so-right you are, Damascena!!!

      Greetings, Jach.
    • Jane Richards
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
        Good advise, Jach. I always 'retaught' my children and grandchildren
        at home --AFTER they learned their history at school. Most was, sad to
        say, very inadequet, at best, and innacurate, to say the least, besides
        being old, out of date, and with some very narrow minded
        opinions/viewpoints.!!
        Jane R.
      • Mary Harrsch
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
          Damascena, another way to inspire an interest in history is to encourage young people to read well-researched historical fiction.  We have often discussed the historical accuracy of Colleen McCullough's work on this discussion list and there are other popular authors who produce gripping stories and mysteries with much factual basis that can fire their imaginations.  I just finished "The Persian Boy" by Mary Renault and was astounded to read the author's notes and learn that Alexander the Great did indeed have an "eremenos"  named Bagoaz.   I enjoyed the book but thought the main character was fictional.  I also found Renault's observation that Hephastion probably had contracted typhoid very interesting.  She explained that with typhoid, the appetite often returns before the internal lesions have healed and eating solid food would have caused intestinal perforation with death quickly following (as depicted in her book).

          I am now reading "Lord of the Two Lands" by Judith Tarr.  I just finished a chapter in which the main character points out that it is obvious that Ptolemy is Alexander's half-brother, a product of an illicit relationship between Philip and a Macedonian noblewoman.  I am just finishing an audio course on Alexander The Great and the Hellenistic Age and this potential was never mentioned.  Ptolemy was never referred to as anything more than Alexander's body guard.  Now I am intrigued to find out if this potential relationship was a mere figment of Ms. Tarr's imagination or if there is some historical precedent.

          Today at lunch I was very fortunate to find a copy of Damion Hunter's "Barbarian Princess" and "The Emperor's Games" (http://loki.stockton.edu/~roman/fiction/hunter.html) set in the time of Vespasian which is a period I have not studied much.  I also found a copy of "The Light Bearer" by relatively new author Donna Gillespie. It deals with the conflict between the Romans and the Germanic tribes. I'm anxious to find out what new historical tidbits I will find buried in these novels.

          Mary Harrsch
          Network & Information Systems Manager
          College of Education
          University of Oregon
          Eugene, OR  97403
          (541) 346-3554
          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~mharrsch

          Commentary Section Editor
          The Technology Source
          http://ts.mivu.org
          A free refereed Web periodical that focuses on infusing
          information technology tools in educational organizations

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2002
            Hi Mary ...these sound like really good books!  I've read Renault (spelling!) before, but am unfamiliar with the others.  I just finished a book about the Druids ..which was written supposedly during the invasion of Gaul by Julius Caesar ...about Versingeterex (again spelling!)  And am currently reading a non fiction book called "What if" concerning what would have happened, had certain historical events either happened differently, or not happened.  Fascinating.

            BTW, all ...by way of explanation ...because I am blind, I do all my reading through tapes or on the net, using my special software ...so spelling, especially of proper names ...is ... unique.  Hope you all can put up with my um, original phonetics! LOL!

            Gently,
            Damascena
          • jachthondus
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2002
              --- In imperialrome2@y..., "Hathaway Shoshana" <shoshanah@e...> wrote:
              > Hi Mary ...these sound like really good books! I've read Renault
              (spelling!) before, but am unfamiliar with the others. I just
              finished a book about the Druids ..which was written supposedly
              during the invasion of Gaul by Julius Caesar ...about Versingeterex
              (again spelling!) And am currently reading a non fiction book
              called "What if" concerning what would have happened, had certain
              historical events either happened differently, or not happened.
              Fascinating.

              > BTW, all ...by way of explanation ...because I am blind, I do all
              my reading through tapes or on the net, using my special
              software ...so spelling, especially of proper names ...is ...
              unique. Hope you all can put up with my um, original phonetics! LOL!

              > Gently,
              > Damascena

              Hi Damascena,

              It will NEVER be possible for me, (neither for any-other-member of
              this group), to even imagine, what energy You and Heli do have to
              put in "keeping-up-reading"; following messages on internet; etc...

              Lots of love to both-of-you!

              Jach.