Roman Paris

  • Mary Harrsch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008

      A new internet friend just sent me this link to a marvelous site about ancient Roman Paris. It not only includes beautiful 3D graphics of reconstructions of some of the original  Roman structures but an interesting virtual tour of places that can be visited today that have vestiges of Paris' Roman past. I found the description of the multi-use amphitheater particularly fascinating:

      "What today is known as Les arènes de Lutèce [the Lutetian arena] is in fact a Gallo-Roman mixed-used amphitheatre, i.e. an amphitheatre with a stage. It consisted of an oval arena, two large lateral entryways and a cavea that did not completely encircle the arena. The missing section was taken up by a stage for mimes, pantomimes and singing performances. The arena was where gladiatorial combats (munera) took place and where wild beasts were hunted (venationes). The structure had an exterior gallery and a highly ornamented facade. Its impressive size-100 X 130.4 meters-make Lutetia's amphitheatre/stage one of the largest constructions of its kind in Gaul."
    • Mary Harrsch
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
        Whoops! Forgot to include the link!

        http://www.paris.culture.fr/en/
      • cooperalfred89
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
          --- In imperialrome2@..., "Mary Harrsch" <mharrsch@...>
          wrote:

          > A new internet friend just sent me this link to a marvelous site
          about
          > ancient Roman Paris. It not only includes beautiful 3D graphics of
          > reconstructions of some of the original Roman structures but an
          > interesting virtual tour of places that can be visited today that
          have
          > vestiges of Paris' Roman past. I found the description of the multi-
          use
          > amphitheater particularly fascinating:
          >
          > [BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5218526616930330482]

          <http://bp1.blogger.com/_KPGgMS4nBJg/SGvuTyUNp3I/AAAAAAAAANs/UTNAmdkQc
          -w\
          > /s1600-h/Parisamphitheater.jpg> "What today is known as Les arènes

          de
          > Lutèce [the Lutetian arena] is in fact a Gallo-Roman mixed-used
          > amphitheatre, i.e. an amphitheatre with a stage. It consisted of an
          oval
          > arena, two large lateral entryways and a cavea
          > <http://www.paris.culture.fr/en/ville_he_amphi_pg1.htm#> that did
          not
          > completely encircle the arena. The missing section was taken up by a
          > stage for mimes, pantomimes and singing performances. The arena was
          > where gladiatorial combats (munera) took place and where wild beasts
          > were hunted (venationes). The structure had an exterior gallery and
          > highly ornamented facade. Its impressive size-100 X 130.4 meters-
          make
          > Lutetia's amphitheatre/stage one of the largest constructions of its
          > kind in Gaul."

          Hello Mary,

          I was fascinated to see the model of Roman Paris(Letitia)and note
          that it was apparently unwalled. I was told by a French friend that
          it was located on an island in the Seine but this does not appear to
          be the case. The multi-purpose ampitheatre is similar to the one at
          Roman Verulamium(St Albans)in Britain.

          Alf
        • OctCocceius@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2008
            In a message dated 03/07/2008 02:41:56 GMT Standard Time, alfred.copper@... writes:
            Hello Mary,

            I was fascinated to see the model of Roman Paris(Letitia) and note
            that it was apparently unwalled. I was told by a French friend that
            it was located on an island in the Seine but this does not appear to
            be the case. The multi-purpose ampitheatre is similar to the one at
            Roman Verulamium(St Albans)in Britain.

            Alf
            Hi Alf

            I have a little difficulty with your last paragraph my friend. Verulamium has an extended D-shape theatre (not an amphitheatre) compared with the elliptical (oval) arena of the Gallo-Roman mixed-use structure from  Paris (which I also hesitate to call an "amphitheatre"). I hope to open a debate with a further post within the next few days. Check out www.romantheatre.co.uk for a very brief synopsis of the Verulamium theatre.

            Sorry to disagree with your view but I hope you take the post in the friendly spirit intended.

            Kind regards

            Oct