Poor Caesarion (and Caesarion's father)

  • postumusagrippa
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
      For those not a part of the Julio-Claudian Iconography group, I'll
      post this post here because I want as many opinions as possible...

      Caesarion.

      You've got to feel sorry for him.

      I mean he never actually opposed Octavian, and even if he was the son
      of Caesar, he would hardly have been a threat to Octavian after
      Actium. There would always be doubt as to whether he was the son of
      Caesar, unless he looked EXACTLY like Caesar.

      He could've just been married off to one of the nieces of Augustus or
      someone further a field, he probably would've had a couple of kids and
      done nothing special.

      It's a shame that Octavian decided to kill him.

      Also I wonder - if he wasn't Caesar's son, then whose?

      Surely people would have known if he was Antony's son, who had a
      fairly distinct, unique look.

      Aside from those two, who would Kleopatra have slept with? I mean she
      would have avoided her brothers like the plague because she doesn't
      seem to have been overly fond of either, and I think both were too
      young anyway.

      It seems incredibly unlikely that she would have slept with just
      anyone as she was only 21 years old, so she would've been in no rush
      to have children, especially if they were just kids of some
      unimportant nobody.

      Thoughts?

      Barry
    • Michael Mccarthy
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
        <<Also I wonder - if he wasn't Caesar's son, then whose?>>

        The sources I have read did not seem to doubt that he was Caesar's but if
        memory serves he was Caesar's only son. If Cleopatra "tricked" Caesar, it
        would have most likely been with a male slave who could have quietly been
        disposed of should need arise.

        Mike McCarthy
      • amicus@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
          Too bad he didn't escape to India. He would have been no threat there
          and could have established an Indo-Egyptian dynasty.
        • geranioj@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
            Amicus,

            Good point, I think in India he may have been safe, although this was such a hot political issue he may have been caught and killed?

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
              I think that slave would have needed to have looked a whole bunch like
              Caesar, otherwise no one would have been fooled when Caesarion grew up.

              I recall reading somewhere that there was a book or some such written
              in ancient times that showed that Caesar could not possibly have been
              Caesarion's father, though I don't remember where I read it... anyone?

              Barry

              --- In imperialrome2@..., "Michael Mccarthy"
              <sokar@...> wrote:

              > <<Also I wonder - if he wasn't Caesar's son, then whose?>>
              >
              > The sources I have read did not seem to doubt that he was Caesar's
              but if
              > memory serves he was Caesar's only son. If Cleopatra "tricked"
              Caesar, it
              > would have most likely been with a male slave who could have quietly
              been
              > disposed of should need arise.
              >
              > Mike McCarthy

            • michelle morlock
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
                I am not sure Caesarion was`Caesar's only son. He had a`daughter, Julia, who married Pompey. But he apparently fathered children in Gaul on Gallic women, and there was `at least one` family that`claimed lineal`descent from him. Also, as Caesarion grew up he was
                known to look and act remarkably like his father, Caesar.  I have always`thought it one of the great ironies` of history that Octavian'behaved so badly toward Caesarion to insure that he would be elkiminated from any claims to his  own throne, only to have Anthony's grandson Caligula, and later Nero both ascend the throne, both lnieal` descendants of Anthony through Antonia minor.

                Rabagas

                Frank Morlock, The Man in The Iron Mask and other plays http://www.Roguepublishing.com

                To: imperialrome2@...
                From: no_reply@...
                Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 02:26:24 +0000

                --- In imperialrome2@ yahoogroups. co.uk, "Michael Mccarthy"
                <sokar@...> wrote:

                > <<Also I wonder - if he wasn't Caesar's son, then whose?>>
                >
                > The sources I have read did not seem to doubt that he was Caesar's
                but if
                > memory serves he was Caesar's only son. If Cleopatra "tricked"
                Caesar, it
                > would have most likely been with a male slave who could have quietly
                been
                > disposed of should need arise.
                >
                > Mike McCarthy

                Get thousands of games on your PC, your mobile phone, and the web with Windows®. Game with Windows
              • postumusagrippa
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
                  I wonder what Octavian would have done if either of Octavia's children
                  by Antony had been a boy...

                  That boy would have been Augustus' equal closest living male relative
                  with Marcellus, and after Marcellus died, he would have been Augustus'
                  closest living male relative.

                  And he would have been Antony's son.

                  What a shame it didn't happen that way!

                  Barry

                  --- In imperialrome2@..., michelle morlock
                  <frankmorlock@...> wrote:

                  > I am not sure Caesarion was`Caesar's only son. He had a`daughter,
                  Julia, who married Pompey. But he apparently fathered children in Gaul
                  on Gallic women, and there was `at least one` family that`claimed
                  lineal`descent from him. Also, as Caesarion grew up he was
                  > known to look and act remarkably like his father, Caesar. I have
                  always`thought it one of the great ironies` of history that
                  Octavian'behaved so badly toward Caesarion to insure that he would be
                  elkiminated from any claims to his own throne, only to have Anthony's
                  grandson Caligula, and later Nero both ascend the throne, both lnieal`
                  descendants of Anthony through Antonia minor.

                  > RabagasFrank Morlock, The Man in The Iron Mask and other plays
                  http://www.Roguepublishing.com

                  > To: imperialrome2@...: no_reply@...: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 02:26:24
                  +0000Subject: Re: [Imperial Rome] Poor Caesarion (and Caesarion's father)

                  > I think that slave would have needed to have looked a whole bunch
                  likeCaesar, otherwise no one would have been fooled when Caesarion
                  grew up.I recall reading somewhere that there was a book or some such
                  writtenin ancient times that showed that Caesar could not possibly
                  have beenCaesarion's father, though I don't remember where I read
                  it... anyone?Barry--- In imperialrome2@..., "Michael
                  Mccarthy"<sokar@> wrote:>> <<Also I wonder - if he wasn't Caesar's
                  son, then whose?>>> > The sources I have read did not seem to doubt