Any Other Examples?

  • postumusagrippa
    Message 1 of 3 , 1 Apr 09:32
      Hello Group.

      This is sort of Roman, sort of not.

      I'm wondering if anyone knows of any situation in the various European kingdoms whereby a young girl was married to a much older man?

      It's for a play a friend is writing, and I could only think of one example off the top of my head, which is Agnes of France, who went to Constantinople and was married to Alexius II Comnenus, then Andronicus I Comnenus (after he killed Alexius II & that boy's mother), and then she married Theodore Branas.

      Can anyone help?

      Barry
    • amicus@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 3 , 2 Apr 10:55
        I don't know their ages off hand but weren't the four wives of King
        Ferninand VII much youger than he? The purpose was to provide a Spanish
        heir(ess). The fourth did (Maria Cristina of Naples) producing two
        daughters. The eldest being Isabela II and causing the Carlist Wars.
      • postumusagrippa
        Message 3 of 3 , 2 Apr 23:15
          Cool.

          Thanks.