October ---> Month of Domitian

  • amicus@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
      This Flavian Emperor renamed October in honor of himself. It didn't
      stick.
    • geranioj@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
        And I think Germanicus was going to be Sept, which did not stick either.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
          <<And I think Germanicus was going to be Sept, which did not stick
          either.>>

          Right!

          If the Germanicus and Domitianus
          names had stuck I think they would have become in English "German" and
          "Domitian" akin to the way the months of Iulius became "July" and
          Augustus became "August".

          And Caligula had renamed September also as Germanicus. I suppose in
          honor of his father yet Germanicus was not born in that month nor did he
          die in September.
        • geranioj@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
            Great stuff Amicii