Claudia Quinta

  • amicus@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , 1 Apr 14:52
      I'm reading a biography about Livia, Augustus' wife.

      It mentioned the story of Claudia Quinta. And that an Italian painter
      did a series seven paintings on virtuous women.

      All I've been able to find is info on Claudia Quinta.

      Does anyone know who the other six subjects are?

      Claudia Casta Quinta, Neroccio de' Landi, 1490--1495, National Gallery
      of Art, Washington, DC | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Address:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/byray/2597348899/
    • Paul Trevor Bale
      Message 2 of 2 , 1 Apr 23:34
        Nobody seems to have commented yet on the new movie "The Eagle" based on one of my favourite books as a teenager The Eagle of the Ninth.
        I've seen the film twice already, though it is not the book, many facets and plot twists are missing, BUT the period detail for the majority of the time is excellent, though the tribesman north of the Wall look more like they have wandered in from the set of Last of the Mohicans than Scotland A.D. 117. Romans are played with American accents (imperialists you see!) and most Britains are dirty savages. They also include two things that most of us now know are inaccurate, thumbs up and down in the arena, and the British having scythes on the spokes of their war chariots. But the sets and locations for Roman Britain are very convincing and the action sequences very well done. The central characters have nothing of the homo- eroticism or closeness of the friendship as in the book, the girl is excised completely, and Marcus doesn't bother with a disguise when he ventures into barbarian territory searching for the lost eagle. Stupid that last one if you ask me! He also charges alone straight into a hundred enemy tribesmen when he first sees the eagle, a plainly stupid reaction as he has come all that way to steal it. But mustn't carp too much, as I found it an enjoyable romp.
        Paul