Paging Spartacus

  • Robert Blau
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2011
      Austria: Archeologists excavate 'sensational' gladiator amphitheatre [I
      love when that happens]

      Vienna, 30 August (AKI) - Archeologists say they've excavated one of the
      largest known amphitheatres outside of Rome that was used to train the
      gladiators who often delighted the Roman public by fighting to the
      death.

      The "sensational discovery" 60 kilometers east of the Austrian capital
      Vienna was located by using instruments that take ground measurements by
      using radar, according to a statement Tuesday from the Carnuntum
      archaeological park consisting of the remains of an ancient Roman
      settlement.

      The location of the find was not revealed but a press tour is planned
      for Monday.
      The amphitheatre is comparable to the Roman Coliseum - the largest Roman
      amphitheatre, and the Ludus Magnus the 2,000 year-old gladiator training
      school and arena, the statement said.

      http://www.adnkronos.com/IGN/Aki/English/CultureAndMedia/Austria-Archeologists-excavate-sensational-gladiator-amphitheatre_312400711687.html
    • amicus@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2011
        I wonder if Commodus ever practiced there when he was with his dad at
        the frontier?