Re: [Imperial Rome] Quiz of the day

  • Berg Jason
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
      East and West? Timeframe?  I guess Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria.

      Jay

      On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:48 PM, vaughan jackson wrote:

      My guess is: Rome, Athens, Constantinople and Alexandria.

      An initial reaction, I did not look anything up.

      :)

      VAJ.

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
        Rome, Alexandria, Carthage and Antioch.  Aha, what are the top ten?  Anyone know?

        What were the FOUR major metropolises of the Roman Empire?

        [I just came across the list in an article on one of them, which I will link to.]

        A free trip to the Crab Nebula for the correct answers. (Airfare not included.)

      • vaughan jackson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
          I dont think that Carthage was a major center by the time of the Empire....

          Wasnt it totally destroyed, and the earth salted there, at the end of the Third Punic War?

          Rome, Alexandria, Carthage and Antioch.  Aha, what are the top ten?  Anyone know?

          What were the FOUR major metropolises of the Roman Empire?

          [I just came across the list in an article on one of them, which I will link to.]

          A free trip to the Crab Nebula for the correct answers. (Airfare not included.)

        • Kim Noyes
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
            That has always been my understanding and brings to mind solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

          • OctCocceius@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
              Carthage was totally destroyed by Scipio Aemaelianus in 146 BCE. However it was refounded under Julius Caesar and became one of the main cities of Empire eventually  having a population of over 250,000.

              Oct

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
                The article, which reports on (and pictures) recent finds at Antioch,
                cites: Rome, Constantinopole, Antioch, and Alexandria. You mentioned all
                of them them (along with Carthage and Athens), but no one got all four.
                So the trip to the Crab Nebula goes unclaimed until our next contest:

                "Dig of the century"
                http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2012/03/07/pages/6828/index.xml

                RB

                > Posted by: "Robert Blau" robert-blau@... rb2717
                > Date: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 pm
                >

                > Without looking it up:
                >
                > What were the FOUR major metropolises of the Roman Empire?
                >
                > [I just came across the list in an article on one of them, which I
                will link to.]

                > A free trip to the Crab Nebula for the correct answers. (Airfare not
                included.)

              • Robert Blau
                Message 7 of 11 , May 23, 2012
                  You've got it. I've put your name on a list of "People wishing to be abducted by a UFO". Hope you don't mind steerage class. Also the anal probe.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 23, 2012
                    Steerage okay, but I'll pass on the probe.