Re: [Imperial Rome] Lucrezia Borgia - In the Roman tradition ?

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      I have just read a very good book about the Borgias generally which
      appears to be very balanced. It doesn't whitwash them but does judge
      from the known facts rather than propaganda. since I haven't taken it
      back to the library just yet I will post the details at work tomorrow.

      I was suprised at just how Roman reading their story felt. If Sulla
      or Marius had wandered into the Papal states they would have been
      quite in place.

      --- In imperialrome2@y..., "Hathaway Shoshana" <shoshanah@e...> wrote:
      > Very, very true! I've not read a good biography of her ...although
      I did
      > read a fairly good novel about Catherine De Medici ..another
      maligned lady
      > ...and I rather suspect she was the victim of very bad press.
      Interesting,
      > isn't it, that certain historical figures almost have 2
      lives ...one the
      > life they actually lived ...and one the life they were "given" and
      usually
      > it is the 2nd life that "stuck" so to speak. In some cases, these 2
      > versions are almost completely separate ...but I suspect, for
      example, that
      > Lucrezia Borgia will go into infinity as a poisoner, and Cleopatra
      VII will
      > go into infinity as a vamp ...and there is little that can be done
      about it.
      > So ...I like to think of the person, and the mythic person ...both
      are
      > interesting.
      >
      > OK ...I'll turn the list back over to the scholars! (smile.)
      > Gently,
      > Damascena
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        O.K. I have the book about the Borgias in front of me. It is "The
        Borgias" by Marion Johnson in this edition by Book Club Associates
        though it would appear another edition by Macdonald Futura Publishers
        exists circa 1981.

        An interesting quote about Lucrezia when Duchess of Ferrara by
        Chevalier Bayard "A glorious princess, for she is beautiful and good,
        gentle and amiable to everyone." The plate of a painting shows a very
        demure and sweet looking young lady. Were appearances deceptive?