Happy New Year

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
      Happy New Year to all members of the Imperial Rome group. The last
      year has been somewhat busy for the group. On New Years Day 2002 we
      posted our 1000th post and this post will be 6212. We have covered so
      many subjects not all related to Rome but all interesting. Thank you
      all for making the group a success.
    • Tarleisio
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
        Happy New Year to you, Richard, and everyone, really, for making this
        group so riveting, from Aereaus and Tarleisio, in Albuquerque, New
        Mexico!
      • khakiberetman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
          So... who are the consuls who will give their names to this year's
          wine production? LOL
          Happy New Year to all... and a toast to this indeed very
          TALKATIVE group!
        • Richard
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
            Happy New Yeat to all our members its about 01:30 01 Jan 2004 in
            England.

            In Rome New Years Day was the day when the new consuls started their
            period of office. Of course they would be elected much earlier but I
            would ask you all to nominate your own two consuls from the roll of
            Roman citizens throghout history. I will act as censor and judge
            whether nominations are valid.
          • Mette
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
              Thinking avout consuls right now ... no ... but I hope that most of
              you have had a Happy New Year. Here it is now 3.47 CET here in
              Denmark or 2.47 a.m. in England (is that correct?), and if I can
              still count New Year has not reached the Americas yet. So to all who
              have not celebrated New Year yet ... Happy New Year.

              Best,

              Mette

              --- In imperialrome2@..., "Richard"
              <gauiscaecilius@y...> wrote:
              > Happy New Yeat to all our members its about 01:30 01 Jan 2004 in
              > England.
              >
              > In Rome New Years Day was the day when the new consuls started
              their
              > period of office. Of course they would be elected much earlier but
              > would ask you all to nominate your own two consuls from the roll
              of
              > Roman citizens throghout history. I will act as censor and judge
              > whether nominations are valid.
            • Jay Latona
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
                My spouse and I are sitting at home in Dallas TX ready to turn on the TV to see what is happening in Times Square and on the Las Vegas strip.  We still have two hours to go in our time zone.  Hopefully we'll get through the celebrations without any of the horrors that are occurring in  Baghdad.
                Peace to all.

                <gauiscaecilius@y...> wrote:
                > Happy New Yeat to all our members its about 01:30 01 Jan 2004 in
                > England.
                >
                > In Rome New Years Day was the day when the new consuls started
                their
                > period of office. Of course they would be elected much earlier but
                > would ask you all to nominate your own two consuls from the roll
                of
                > Roman citizens throghout history. I will act as censor and judge
                > whether nominations are valid.

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • nancy
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
                  Happy new year to you all!

                  nancy in chicago with 40 minutes to go!

                  <gauiscaecilius@y...> wrote:
                  > Happy New Yeat to all our members its about 01:30 01 Jan 2004 in
                  > England.
                  >
                  > In Rome New Years Day was the day when the new consuls started
                  their
                  > period of office. Of course they would be elected much earlier but
                  > would ask you all to nominate your own two consuls from the roll
                  of
                  > Roman citizens throghout history. I will act as censor and judge
                  > whether nominations are valid.

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Inger E Johansson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
                    Happy New Year,
                    it's 09.02 the first morning of the new year. 2004 has started of with frost and chilly weather here in Gothenburg Sweden. At midnight the best fireworks up to now was shown in my part of town, Tuve Hising Island.

                    Sitting here in a chair being as interested as I am in History I can't help adding a few questions I never managed to find full answers to. Over time we humans have had several different midnights as the border between one year and an other. When and why was 31st December decided to become the overall last day on the old year for all Christians around the world?

                    Happy New Year.

                    Inger E
                  • Richard
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
                      The weird thing about European time is that Copenhagen a fair distnce
                      aast of any point in the British Isles is an hour behind us. Much
                      simpler in Roman times when I presume that they didn't bother with
                      time zones even though the distance between the furthest east point
                      of the Asian provinces the the furthest West point of Lusitania is
                      quite considerable. The width in degrees longtitude that is approx 50
                      degrees to the United States 70 degrees (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
                      which is three time zones isn't it?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
                        I asked and in part answered the question about midnights a couple of
                        moments ago in one of my early morning musings (well early for New
                        Years Day). As for the new year starting on 1st January in western
                        culture it is the start of the month following the shortest day of
                        the year.

                        --- In imperialrome2@..., "Inger E Johansson"
                        <inger_e.johansson@t...> wrote:
                        > Happy New Year,
                        > it's 09.02 the first morning of the new year. 2004 has started of
                        with frost and chilly weather here in Gothenburg Sweden. At midnight
                        the best fireworks up to now was shown in my part of town, Tuve
                        Hising Island.

                        > Sitting here in a chair being as interested as I am in History I
                        can't help adding a few questions I never managed to find full
                        answers to. Over time we humans have had several different midnights
                        as the border between one year and an other. When and why was 31st
                        December decided to become the overall last day on the old year for
                        all Christians around the world?

                        > Happy New Year.
                        >
                        > Inger E
                      • Sulla Aramanthi
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
                          Lucius Cornelius Sulla-80bc, He became Dictator,
                          Tiberius Claudius Nero-202BC The first effective
                          Screwing of Scippy Africanus out of his deserved win
                          of the Hannibal Wars, and the beginning of the Great
                          Screw that drove Scippy out of Politics.

                          http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
                        • greg carroll

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
                              It occurs to me that I haven't made my nominations. They would be
                              Julius Caesar and Claudius.

                              My reasoning is that they would get on fairly well aristocrats with a
                              concern for their subjects. Caesar would be free to defend the empire
                              against all comers where as Claudius was an extremely competant
                              administrator who whould maintain the finances and infrastructure of
                              the empire. If I could only get one of them elected except on time of
                              dire miiitary danger I would settle for Claudius.

                              --- In imperialrome2@..., "Richard"